Lightweight Sleeping System

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/product/epiphany-40/

Talk about light. I've been looking at these and they look like the cats ass. I know people would be scared of Cuben because it might be like sleeping in a garbage bag. But at least you know your down won't get wet!

I think Luke is getting one of these quilts, maybe not the epiphany but I think he mentioned something about an EE quilt. Great option for you guys who don't want to sleep in a mummy bag who sleep on your side/stomach. And for you bigger guys who don't like feeling like a sausage. I might have to pick up a prodigy X instead of a kifaru woobie and give it a go.

DaveS

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Epiphany quilt and used it about 15 nights last season in temperatures ranging from 50 to 0 degrees. I have been meaning to write a review of the quilt but haven't gotten around to it yet. Here are some of my observations:.

1. The quilt is water proof and vapor proof meaning air cannot get in or out. It has a sack pump that provides a way to push air into the quilt. This allows you to control the loft of the quilt and thus, control its insulating ability.

2. Because it’s a quilt it can be opened up and used like a blanket or sealed completely around you and all level in between. It has a lot of flexibility for controlling temperature.

3. With the quilt sealed around you it becomes a vapor barrier. I ended up sealing the quilt around me when the temperature got in the low 20's, teens and at 0 degrees. I only really got cold at 0 degrees and only my shoulders were cold. My quilt is rated for 20 degrees but it is much warmer than my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 15.

4. I used a Thermarest NeoAir XTherm as my pad. I have the Regular size which is 20” wide. When I slept in a sleeping bag I preferred the large pad (25” wide) but I was very comfortable with the 20” wide pad. Since the quilt only covers the top I slept directly on the pad and with the quilt wrapped around the pad I could not fall off pad which is why I think the 20” pad works well with a quilt. I also had more room in the quilt to roll around than in a sleeping bag.

5. I never got wet in the quilt. My skin would feel moist (clammy) but there was never moisture on the inside of the quilt or in my clothes. Sometimes I used a silk liner and while my skin felt moist the silk liner did not show any wetness.

I read a number of articles about vapor barriers before I bought the quilt. One article in particular matches my experience - http://equipped.outdoors.org/2012/02/winter-warmer-vapor-barrier-liners-for.html. This article talks about “insensible perspiration” which is how your body keep your skin from drying out. Normally this small amount of perspiration evaporates from your skin which means you have to keep sweating to keep your skin moist. In a vapor barrier the air around your body quickly reaches a humid state so your skin remains moist and the need for “insensible perspiration” is significantly reduced. Thus, in vapor barrier a person sweats less.

My total sleep system with the Epiphany Quilt, NeoAir XTherm and a Ti Goat bivy weighs a little over 2.5 lbs. It kept me warm in the low teens and upper single digits and was easily adaptable to warm temperatures. I feel it is an extremely versatile sleep system. If I had to do it again I would get the 10 degree version. But Tim, the owner of Enlightened Equipment said I could send my quilt in to have down added which should bring it close to a 10 degree quilt.

littlebuf

Banned
i ordered a revelation x 20* last week and i cant wait. i am rethinking my sleep pad but it may have to wait. currently planning on using a thermarest z lite but i also have a pro lite 4. i may just have to step up and by a xtherm, but for summer and early season im thinking my zlite will work. i guess ill find out

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Tuned in....I need to drop weight from my sleep system, been looking at the Revelation x 20*. I see mixed reviews on whether the quilt set up beats a bag. I am a serious toss and turner, side sleeper and I hate mummy bags. Montbell UL Super Sprial #1 is the bag I am looking at.

TJ

WKR
Anyone know what kind of R value you need with a quilt?

Quilts look like they may be a good way to lighten up a little.

OP
ohhiitznik
Anyone know what kind of R value you need with a quilt?

Quilts look like they may be a good way to lighten up a little.

Depends on your temps, but I know a lot of guys using R value of 2 ish on Backpackinglight.com down into the mid 20's with no problems. They also use a 30 degree down quilt.

The Revelation X quilts are outstanding. Quality if first class and price is excellent. Tim does 20% overstuff on all quilts. You can also add extra down at $5 per oz. The 2013 line has also been approved upon last years line.

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
The Revelation X quilts are outstanding. Quality if first class and price is excellent. Tim does 20% overstuff on all quilts. You can also add extra down at $5 per oz. The 2013 line has also been approved upon last years line.

What does 20% overstuffed mean? Is it overstuffed 20% past what would give the listed temp rating?

I like the childrens quilts. I have ben looking to get something lighter for my son. I have bben wondering why kids bags are 50% heavier than adults. Finially an affordable and light kid option

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
20% more fill. So if it has 10oz of fill, he puts in 12 oz of fill. it allows you to go further down in the temp rating.

I understand the math but he overfills 20% standard so are his temp ratings based on some standard with say the 10oz and then his is even better because he overfills 20%.

Maybe there is some industry "loft standard" per unit of area which equates to a temp rating I don't know about.

jherald

WKR
I see the revelation X is a down fill quilt. Anyone use the synthetic quilts? Was looking at Prodigy X.

mhunter

FNG
I have Prodigy 20 and I really like it. I bought it for last season and logged like 25 nights in it. The coldest night was around 19 and with extra layers I was OK. I'm definitely quilt convert now. This is my first quilt and the reason why I wanted quilt for 3-season use was weight saving and variety of uses. In later season I just add more layers, puffy jacket/pants. Puffy jacket/pants I have anyway to keep me warm when glassing so why not sleep on them...
Also I plan using it on top of my winter down bag in case needed. I know down quilt would be even lighter but my trips tend to be long and in remote locations and I have decided to stick with synthetic ones. I have black one and it dries very fast if sun is out for awhile. Surely bag for winter use but for me it will be quilt for 3 seasons...

mhunter

FNG
just want to add that I recommend buying large quilt. Mine is long/wide version and I'm happy I decided to go big. I'm 6'3"/185lbs. Large quilt helps to keep drafts minimum