Lightweight Rifle Under $1k

Under 1k?

You won't want to hear this but the most reliably accurate lightweight rifle under $1k is the Savage Lightweight Storm. Stupid accurate and extremely light.

Next to that, I'd look at the Kimber Hunter Pro

After that I'd go Tikka.

mitchellmountain

Lil-Rokslider
Under 1k?

You won't want to hear this but the most reliably accurate lightweight rifle under $1k is the Savage Lightweight Storm. Stupid accurate and extremely light.

After that I'd go Tikka.
This is my exact thoughts

I was not a fan of the 110 action either. I ended up finding a used T3x, fitted it with a Stockys carbon stock, cut the barrel to 20” and had it threaded. All up with leather sling it is 7.3lb and shoots well under a minute with various handloads and factory ammo.

Jakl

FNG
Under 1k?

After that I'd go Tikka.
Not an insignificant downgrade from ultralite to storm. OP is better off just getting a bolt lift kit or getting some work done to it. IMHO the ultralite is a step above at least a few in the list with regards to quality

BigSky

WKR
Browning X-bolt (never shot a Browning)
Tikka T3 Lite (Have eyed these for years but like to avoid Beretta if possible. Aftermarket is a plus though)
Sauer 100 (hard to find much info on them)
Kimber Hunter (seems like people either love them or hate them)
Bergara B-14 (seems like it's a little heavier)
Weatherby Vanguard
Christensen Mesa (Probably just over $1k and I hear bad QC, but not sure if they've fixed that)
I won't be of much help other than "confirmation bias" depending on your choice. I have owned all of those you listed, in multiple chamberings, other than the Sauer 100. I plan to change that in the future. I for one couldn't care less about aftermarket support although do recognize it's appeal for certain things.

Having said that blasphemy, every version I've had of those listed has probably been accurate beyond my capabilities and functioned flawlessly. Whittling that down, in my opinion, the Tikka T3X, Browning (Mine have all been Hells Canyon) and Kimber Hunter give you the best bang for your buck. Even though I have loved every version of Kimber rifle I have owned, with zero complaints, if I had to whittle those three down to two, my choices would be the Tikka T3X and Hell's Canyon.

Forcing myself to whittle it down again, for a long action, I would choose the Browning Hell's Canyon and for a short action, it's a toss up. However, your question doesn't presuppose a recommendation of a toss-up so, once again, forced to choose, for the short action, I would choose the T3X.

So, after the BigSky Song and Dance Sidestep
Short Action - Tikka T3X
Long Action - Browning Hell's Canyon

Good luck in your quest.

Not an insignificant downgrade from ultralite to storm. OP is better off just getting a bolt lift kit or getting some work done to it. IMHO the ultralite is a step above at least a few in the list with regards to quality
I've owned several of each now and I can tell you the Ultralight is no more accurate than the LWS, even with the $900 PR Carbon barrel. Not what most folks want to hear, but it is what it is.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Why would you want a carbon barrel in the future?

I have a 2 custom 280 Ackley rifles, one with carbon and one with a 24" Free floated and fluted Bartlein barrel, the Bartlein is 1 1/2lbs lighter than the carbon barreled rifle.

Carbon looks cool and the do perform, but if you want a truly lightweight rifle, a steel light contour barrel will get you there. And save you money in the process.

Jakl

FNG
I've owned several of each now and I can tell you the Ultralight is no more accurate than the LWS, even with the $900 PR Carbon barrel. Not what most folks want to hear, but it is what it is.
I’d imagine not. Accustock vs accufit too, so superior bedding on the LWS right?

I thought the proof wasn’t as much for accuracy as it was to keep it light while still having a decent profile. I hadn’t heard any issues with the LWS for accuracy, just not the best build quality/feel.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I have a 2 custom 280 Ackley rifles, one with carbon and one with a 24" Free floated and fluted Bartlein barrel, the Bartlein is 1 1/2lbs lighter than the carbon barreled rifle.

Carbon looks cool and the do perform, but if you want a truly lightweight rifle, a steel light contour barrel will get you there. And save you money in the process.
Carbon barrels are stupid, they aren’t lighter, they aren’t more accurate. They ARE more expensive though.

I’d imagine not. Accustock vs accufit too, so superior bedding on the LWS right?

I thought the proof wasn’t as much for accuracy as it was to keep it light while still having a decent profile. I hadn’t heard any issues with the LWS for accuracy, just not the best build quality/feel.
Nope.

Ultralights don't have Accustocks. Only Accufit and the new LWS's have the new stock design, just no adjustable cheek riser (which I've never needed anyway).

And if the profile doesn't help with accuracy, what's the point of it?

Biggest issue people have with the LWS is the gap between the stock and thin barrel. It's unsightly but then anyone bothered by that probably won't choose a Savage to begin with. That said, I do wish Savage addressed that with the LWS because otherwise it's one hell of a bargain for what you're getting.

Carbon barrels are stupid, they aren’t lighter, they aren’t more accurate. They ARE more expensive though.
I'm beginning to agree with this statement after owning three. None have outshot my factory Savage barrels or Shaw barrels or either of the Howa Minis I've owned.

They are good shooters. Just not noticeably better than steel barrels I've owned in the past.

I have been shooting a 6.5 savage ultralite for a couple years, and got my wife a lw storm, and the storm was at least as accurate… I ended up putting a magnesium xlr on the ultralite and we sold the lw storm, but it was a underrated rifle, but was extra fugly and looks and feels cheap to me, but in practical terms, great little rifle

When I did what I did to the UL, it turned into my wife’s rifle, and one that I can fit to anyone in a couple minutes

I got a tikka for myself in .308, it’s a stainless super lite, and put it in a krg bravo.

I have have owned a lot of rifles, and I always seem to circle back to tikka, and especially now, knowing about the krg, it’s a really good shooting rifle for what I have invested. Do plan to put a new barrel on it in the next couple years, because I want a 17-18” tube and put a suppressor on it, but for now, I like it as much as any rifle I have owned, I always regain appreciation for tikka when I haven’t owned one in awhile, really good stock trigger, great action, and have been extremely consistent across the board… my vote is tikka if you may do anything aftermarket, and I like the kimber hunter it’s a nice rifle for the price if you can be happy with a stock rifle.

Unckebob

WKR

The AccuStock does not need bedding because it has a built in aluminum mini chassis (far right picture).

My AccuFit stock came with pillars, but I would have tried to have it bedded if I had not pulled everything and dropped it in a chassis. Mine was 29.6oz on my scale. I forgot to weigh my AccuStock when I had it off for the picture.

OP
S

Sankacoffee

Lil-Rokslider

Honestly there's no real reason other than I like the way they look and weight savings, but like you said you can get steel barrels just as light or lighter. I probably won't get one to be honest as I'm starting to look more towards something that you don't need to upgrade anything.

Darryle

WKR
Classified Approved
Honestly there's no real reason other than I like the way they look and weight savings, but like you said you can get steel barrels just as light or lighter. I probably won't get one to be honest as I'm starting to look more towards something that you don't need to upgrade anything.

Save your money and buy a lighter steel barrel and have it fluted to cut the weight more.

I have one carbon, unless I build a short barrel suppressed rifle, I will probably never have another.

Sled

WKR

The weight savings only add up in the thicker profile barrels. They weigh more in the thin profiles, especially in bartelin barrels.

If you're just concerned with weight and how it carries, the Kimber hunter is hard to beat. If you like to shoot it at any mid ranges then the Tikka is going to produce better results with less effort. I'm not saying kimbers can't shoot but they are more difficult for people to learn to shoot repeatably, especially in high stress situations.

Save your money and buy a lighter steel barrel and have it fluted to cut the weight more.

I have one carbon, unless I build a short barrel suppressed rifle, I will probably never have another.
This is how I'm thinking these days. My next barrel will be a Shaw that I have fluted. Last three Shaws I've had shot really, really well and they are about 2/3 the cost of other barrel manufacturers.