Lightweight do-it-all backpacking solution for under $450

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would look for a used Kifaru T1 or T2 which can be found for about $450 sometimes. Also look for a used Stone Glacier or Exo.

sojourner

Lil-Rokslider
I think if your criteria is a new pack for around $450 or less I would suggest the Exo 3500 or Kuiu Icon pro 3000 or 5200 depending on the size you want. Both are well built, fairly light weight, and available in non-camo colors. Again, fit is personal, but at least you could send them back if they don't fit. For $100 less you could get a Kuiu Ultra. It is super light weight but a lot of people have criticized the padding on the waist belt/shoulder straps as being too thin when you get a lot of weight in it. However, if it fits you good and you don't foresee carrying more than 80# or so it may be perfect for you. There are some really good lightweight backpacking specific packs but my experience is that even if the frame is tall enough to provide lift, when you get more than 50# in it and crank down on the load-lifters, the frame stays just fold down over your shoulders and they usually have a lot less padding than a pack designed for heavy loads.

LandYacht

WKR
I love my KU 5200. It does everything and it's light. Cinches down to day pack size and carries 100 plus pounds. Comes in right around 2 pounds of my memory serves me.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
After backpacking for years with low to mid quality backpacks, I decided this year to finally upgrade. I'm also hoping to make this my first year big game hunting here in Colorado, so I figured I'd try to get a pack that can do it all. My price range was no more than $400, and I splurged just a little bit and got a Seek Outside Unaweep 4800.

The Unaweep 4800 seemed to check all my boxes. Incredibly lightweight for a load-hauling pack. Bigger capacity than I'd intended, but the talon compression system means it will work for just about any length of trip. It seems about as stable with a heavy load as any internal frame I've used. Well, the pack came a few days ago, and it's a thing of beauty. Obviously very well-made, but I actually had leg surgery (stupid ski accident) a few days ago, and I won't be testing the pack out for a month or two.

Here's the trouble. Either I have a short torso, or I'm a weirdo who like to wear my hipbelt high, because I'm having a heck of the time getting the torso fit just right on my Unaweep. Kevin at SO has shown superhuman patience dealing with me in emails, and I'm hoping to stop by his shop at some point to get things working.

No worries, I suspect it's simple adjustment or a simple customization for short torso. Since you are relatively local, I suggest you stop by, that way we know we get the fit right and it works well for you

tttoadman

WKR
If I was in CO, I would make a trek to Kifaru and put those guys to work. Even if you didn't go their route, you would likely walk away with a good understanding of what you really need. I think you are a little late to make any shows where all of the big pack guys were present. That would have likely been your best bet. The cost of a road trip to get some knowledge could easily outweigh the cost of catch and release pack hunting.