Lightweight Backpacking Tent Recommendations

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you don't a tent already, guessing that's the case- the Morning Star would be a good starting point- it's easy to setup, it's storm worthy (especially for September), roomy for one (not roomy for two) and it's relatively light.

If you really get the backpack hunting bug, there are lighter tents to look at, but at a significant price jump and not as easy to setup (but w/ a little practice it gets pretty easy).

For a first tent, dipping your toe into backpack hunting, the Morning Star is a good place to start imho.

ianpadron

WKR
I made the switch to a Durston Xmid last year...pretty sure that lineup is the best in the biz in terms of space:weight ratio, and it's where I would start my search if I was looking for a one and done option.

Basically all my favorite shelters in one.

dodido

FNG
Ditto on the Durston. They just came out with a solid version with a solid interior (minimal mesh) for 3-season use. I use my hiking poles to set it up, packs up real small.

Not the ultimate lightest but overall best quality/durability to weight ratio in my books. I got some heavier duty titanium stakes for pitching on hard ground, and it has held up in some severe winds.

I had the org xmid2,copper spurs,hubba 1 and just recently a new solid xmid 2 and a kuiu mountain star.
I think the xmid is the best quality but i just cant do the trekking pole tents,i want to take my poles and not leave with tent,i know I could get the extra poles but the defeats the purpose.I also didnt feel comfortable with how tight it got,it seems kind of flimsy unless getting perfect setup and with the large side panels just didn’t seem very wind proof.Great tent for general hiking.
I choose to keep my hubba ,I actually have two of them because my kids can use them and as a backup and there pretty solid.I am going to try the mountain star as i just like the free standing design better,when the fly is on it is super solid,guy it out if needed.
It is a little short if i have to lay parallel.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm in this market as well. I have a Kuiu Storm Star and a North Face 3 man Stormbreak that have served me very well but both are over 6lbs. I don't want to pack that much weight when I don't need it.

When weight matters I've always used my Kifaru Megatarp, and still will when I want a hot tent or bugs aren't an issue. As the tents with a floor and nest keep getting lighter though I keep thinking of adding one.

I saw a Rokslide video of a Seek Outside Satellite that is coming out in the near future. I liked the look of it a lot. I'll probably wait for it to release before making a decision.

The Kuiu Mountain Star is a lot like my Storm Star and I like it's design quite a bit too. My Storm Star held up to Kodiak last year on it's first trip. After buying it used I spent a half hour in my yard with a garden hose trying to make it leak and failed, hit the seams from all possible angles with pressure. Those both helped build confidence.