Light weight tarp/ground sheet

skip189

FNG
VIAM has some good tarps that pack down small. Have used mine for ground cloth under tent, laying meat out on during quartering, as well as getting out of rain. Recommended all their products.

MTHokie

FNG

I realize this isn't exactly what you're asking for -- one of these would only serve as the ground cloth to quarter your elk on, but I'd get two yards of one of these. You'd barely be able to tell it was in your pack. Then pick your emergency shelter to serve as only an emergency shelter.

Grab a 5' x 7' blue tarp that's 3 mil at harbor freight for $4. It weighs less then a pound. I know it's not the cool thing to say and it's not super lightweight and mountain approved. Definitely way cheaper and you won't be upset if it gets torn up.

Loper

WKR
I just got a piece of Tyvek for my ground sheet a few days ago. However, if I didn’t find the Tyvek I was planning to use a cheap outdoor picnic table cloth from the dollar store. I ended up finding a couple in my wife’s party supplies and it was a decent size and only weighed 2.9 oz. I wouldn’t think it would be super durable, but it’s cheap and lightweight and I would t worry about putting meat on it.

I'm not placing quarters on something i want to use as a tarp long term. A tarp that could stand that without kid glove treatment will be heavy. If it's getting blood on it and holes in it, I want to toss it.

I've used mylar blankets, but the real cheap ones tear easy or if they are old they seem to get brittle somehow.

Picking up some polycro sheeting, either pre-packaged (Six-moons 96"x48' @ less than 2.0 oz) or cut my own from window film you shrink on (Duck brand mentioned above), at least that's my plan for next year.

mcseal2

WKR
I've used the 2 man Adventure Medical space blankets to lay meat on before. They work well and are good to have in the pack for an emergency overnight too.

That said I always have some sort of tarp for a shelter. What depends on the hunt. In Alaska each pair of us has a Seek Outside DST tarp, and they have been great. For times I don't expect to use the tarp and don't need that much weight/size I carry different options. If it's warmer and I know I won't be needing a fire I have a Hyperlite DCF 8.5' square tarp. It's about 10oz with lines and plenty big. A lot of the time I used to carry a Kifaru Sheep Tarp I could set up in the cave configuration and hole up in with or without a fire out front.

For this season I got a Wilderness Innovations PSSXL poncho/tarp. It's essentially a Sheep Tarp with a hood. After setting it up as a shelter in my yard I took it to a local tent shop and had a tab sewn in on one end similar to that on a Sheep Tarp. This lets me use my tripod to raise that end for more head room. I can stretch out in it using my pack as a pillow, and the 6 sections of Thermarest Z pad I carry to sit on glassing as a pad under my torso. It's my favorite set-up I've tried so far for utility and weight. In theory at least, I haven't had it out in weather yet. We need a rain to test it. I like having a rain poncho and full length shelter in one. With the lines to set it up its 10.8oz.

The first 2 pics are the new Wilderness Innovations. The last is the Adventure Medical blanket and DST on a caribou hunt.

Attachments

• IMG_4942.jpeg
    IMG_4942.jpeg
    548.5 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    563.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1921.jpeg
    IMG_1921.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 34

Ondavirg

Lil-Rokslider
Alps lightweight tarp on camofire this week for less than $70. I want to say it was around 12’x10’ and 15 oz.

The Guide

WKR
I've used the 2 man Adventure Medical space blankets to lay meat on before. They work well and are good to have in the pack for an emergency overnight too.

That said I always have some sort of tarp for a shelter. What depends on the hunt. In Alaska each pair of us has a Seek Outside DST tarp, and they have been great. For times I don't expect to use the tarp and don't need that much weight/size I carry different options. If it's warmer and I know I won't be needing a fire I have a Hyperlite DCF 8.5' square tarp. It's about 10oz with lines and plenty big. A lot of the time I used to carry a Kifaru Sheep Tarp I could set up in the cave configuration and hole up in with or without a fire out front.

For this season I got a Wilderness Innovations PSSXL poncho/tarp. It's essentially a Sheep Tarp with a hood. After setting it up as a shelter in my yard I took it to a local tent shop and had a tab sewn in on one end similar to that on a Sheep Tarp. This lets me use my tripod to raise that end for more head room. I can stretch out in it using my pack as a pillow, and the 6 sections of Thermarest Z pad I carry to sit on glassing as a pad under my torso. It's my favorite set-up I've tried so far for utility and weight. In theory at least, I haven't had it out in weather yet. We need a rain to test it. I like having a rain poncho and full length shelter in one. With the lines to set it up its 10.8oz.

The first 2 pics are the new Wilderness Innovations. The last is the Adventure Medical blanket and DST on a caribou hunt.
I have a bunch of Perry's gear. Have been running his poncho systems for almost 10 years. Quality gear but some of it is a tad heavy (depending upon the material you choose) if you are looking for UL gear. He makes a very good multi use product though.

Jay

mcseal2

WKR
He has options for about anyone with all his sizes and materials. This is the first I've bought but it seems well made.

The Guide

WKR
He has options for about anyone with all his sizes and materials. This is the first I've bought but it seems well made.
That is what I like about his systems. I can get stuff that fits me. There are few companies that make item that fit a guy that is 6'6" and 290# with an athletic build. I end up with a lot of Carhartt clothes since they are one of the few major companies that make an actual "tall" garment. Wish more companies would make 2XL tall and 3XL tall gear.

Jay

mcseal2

WKR
Had a little storm blow through tonight so I set up the poncho in the yard ahead of it. It did well, I put a line of shop towels down where I'd be laying under it and they stayed dry. I think I'll have a second loop sewn in like I did on the side supported by the tripod. That would let me elevate that side with a stick. limb, or my second trekking pole. It would get rid of the flat spot the water made as the rain accumulated, add more interior space and more slope. Other than that it did well.

It wasn't a big storm, probably got between .25 and .5" of rain. Lots of wind with it though and it came fast.

The poncho will probably never be my shelter for a planned overnight. I have larger, better options for that at a reasonable weight. For an unplanned night out though it looks like it would be fine.

I always carry a pretty big Kifaru rain cover for my pack. I use it more as a wind break over my legs when glassing than I do as a pack cover. If I had to do an overnight in the poncho though I'd use my pack under my head and neck as a pillow, my 6 sections of Thermarest Z pad under my torso, and my pack cover over and under my legs. I'd lay diagonal like the shop towels and that would protect my legs from anything blowing in, as well as add a wind barrier. If it's cold I'll have my Kuiu Superdown jacket and pants to bundle up in, and the 2 person Adventure Medical space blanket to wrap up in. Should be able to survive most conditions with that, and the option of a fire out front.

One pic from before the rain and a few after.

Attachments

• IMG_4965.jpeg
    IMG_4965.jpeg
    395.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4967.jpeg
    IMG_4967.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4968.jpeg
    IMG_4968.jpeg
    274.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4969.jpeg
    IMG_4969.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 29

The Guide

WKR
Used a couple of the ponchos and a tarp to make an unplanned stay at a high mountain lake once. Got to dark to walk out the way we came in safely with the kids (think they were 7 and 9 at the time) so I made the wife and kids camp with the gear and hiked back to the truck and went to town for food and drinks. Parked at the lower trailhead and hiked back in in the dark. Got to catch grayling in the morning and hiked back out in the daylight with a happy family since that trail was down hill back to the truck. Used my poncho many times while spring bear hunting to keep dry in snow/rain. You should like it.

Jay

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
silnylon is used in many tarps and cheap tent footprints, but nylon absorbs moisture (and blood), then stretches, so I've gone to silpoly (silicone-coated polyester) tarps which don't absorb moisture. The benefit is less weight when packed up wet and also easier to rinse off blood (and smells). Many reputable tent companies are going to silpoly for the lack of moisture absorption.

REI often has silpoly tent footprints on sale for under $40. The drawback to tent footprints is that they usually only have 4 stake loops. Tent footprints are often urethane-coated which is heavier/thicker, but I think more durable than silicone coating. The advantage to silicone coating is that it is UV resistant and lightweight. but almost impossible to stick anything to other than silicone-based glues.

id450

WKR
Seek outside makes the fearless Floorless mat it like $15 . Light and tough. I learned about it from Ryan lampers. He’s never had a mattress get poked though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seek outside makes the fearless Floorless mat it like $15 . Light and tough. I learned about it from Ryan lampers. He’s never had a mattress get poked though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m about to pull the trigger on one of these and a DST tarp. Should be a nice combo.