Light 2 man summer tent

mcseal2

WKR
I’m in the market for another tent, primarily for summer scouting trips. I have a Kuiu Storm Star and a Kifaru Megatarp with a stove and annex for later seasons, I just want something light in the pack with good ventilation and bug protection.

I’m considering the Kuiu Mountain Star just because set up would be similar to my Storm Star, and it can set up dry in the rain. I just wondered if there are newer, lighter options I should consider? I’m good with a trekking pole or freestanding design I just want a bug nest that stays attached, that I don’t have to clip or tie in each time I set up the tent.

Thanks for you help.

Geewhiz

WKR
If you want really light I would suggest a SO silex. Floorless. Plenty of room for 2 people unless you are accustom to a mansion.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
If you want really light I would suggest a SO silex. Floorless. Plenty of room for 2 people unless you are accustom to a mansion.
I already have the Megatarp, plus several flat tarps from Hyperlite, Seek Outside, etc. I’m wanting an attached nest and floor in this one for bugs. I know the Silex offers a nest but it looked like a separate piece to set up I thought?

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. It gave me a good place to start looking at more options. I read a lot of the old threads too.

Anyone tried the Durston X mid 1? The $240 price tag looks pretty good for a shelter that would be used 3-5 days a summer every other year.

I live in KS and have to drive out of state for scouting trips so I only get in trip on years I hunt the western US. I've been trying to make my 98 Suburban last as my daily driver to help save enough to go on a unguided AK hunt every other year.

The X mid 1 has a 32" floor but big vestibules. 31oz with stakes in silpoly material. I think I could make that work. Add in a ground sheet (when needed), guy lines, and better stakes and I'd still be under 40oz.

I have a couple North Face Stormbreak tents, the 2 and 3 man, that I use camping when the truck, UTV, or boat is hauling my gear. They are heavy but fairly inexpensive and have served me well. Great for taking the kids who can be hard on stuff. For cold weather truck camping my hunting buddy and I split a Seek 8 man tipi with stove for western states and a Cabelas Alaskan Guide Instinct 6 man tent for Alaska. For cold weather backpacking I have a Kifaru Megatarp with annex and stove. For Alaska if I need a smaller shelter I have the Kuiu Storm Star. Just thinking I have enough other options this one would not get a ton of use.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I pulled the trigger on the X mid 1. I did the initial set-up just now and it will work well for what I need I think. It's wide enough to cross my arms and sleep on my stomach comfortably, and plenty long. The vestibule holds my Exo K2 3500 loaded full with my rifle lay on top of it. The other vestibule is plenty big for easy entry and exit, plus my boots.

I'd want more room to wait out a day long storm, but I could do it in this tent fine. I think it will fill it's roll well for when daylight hours are long and nights are short, I just need somewhere dry and bug free to crash.

I made a few small modifications. I added small loops of light shock cord to the tie out points on the doors and put some light guy lines and tiny carabiners to clip to them in the bag. I put the tent body in the factory sack and threw that plus the stakes and guy lines in a larger stuff sack. The bigger stuff sack doesn't weigh much and will let me pack up really quick if I want to. I also added 4 Kelty Nobendium stakes to the titanium ones it comes with.

All that took me to a total weight of 36oz. Once the ground sheet arrives I should still be under 40oz with it. I know there are lighter and larger options out there, but for the price I think this will work for me.

dg96

FNG
I have the six moon lunar. Little bit bigger footprint than I like but plenty of room. East to step up and light.

bcnorth

FNG
how did it go? would you mind sending me photos/ your thoughts on it
It was very windy, but i got it up fine. Lots of room for 1 person and gear, extremely light. Could squeeze two in a pinch or one of my kids but not a full sheep hunt with two adults for me. There is a couple good youtube videos on set up, i watched those after i tried and saw how i could do better. Im very happy with purchase so far, the only part i want to really test is where i set it up, but need my hiking poles for the day.