Lh rifle build questions

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to build a Lh 300wm mountain rifle
This rifle is being built for hunting big game elk, moose, bear etc.
Options are limited for leftys

Couple of questions hoping someone can answer.
Is there anyone who sells left handed actions in 300 wm for a reasonable price?
Don’t really want to buy a whole rifle to just take the action if need be.

If not, been looking at Bergara b-14 hmr and the Bergara wilderness sierra.
I like the hmr but it is heavy and barrel is long. I do plan on running a can on the end.
Also wanted a coated barrel but considering swapping out for a carbon barrel.

Also was looking at Bergara wilderness sierra which is a lighter option and pre coated. Now my issue with this the 22” barrel. From the research Iv been doing most don’t recommend going below 24” barrel.

Looking at nomad lti for the end of it.

I do plan on swapping out for a Xlr mg element 4.0 chassis. Foldable carbon stock carbon grip etc
Glass options are either
Nf NX8 4-32x50 f1 moar
Or
Maven rs3.2 5-30x50
Iv never used night force but I know they have a great reputation.
I own maven binos and love the clarity of them.
Then going to finish it off with Warne mountain tech rings and base

Main questions are
1. Is there an option for a left handed action in 300 at a decent price. Or a fully built option possibly?
2. Hmr or wilderness sierra?
3. Will a 22” barrel be enough to burn all the powder or better of with 26” barrel on hmr?
-if I go carbon barrel would a 24” barrel be the better choice?
4. Which optics maven or Nightforce.

Sorry for the long post but any help be appreciated

gbflyer

WKR
Bighorn Origin LA with mag bolt face. Made in USA. Pick a prefit barrel and screw it on. Remington 700 BDL bottom metal and mag box, stock and trigger. Scope of choice.

Spoonbill

WKR
What is your budget? There is tikka 300wm that you could buy, 24” barrel and that would be under 1000. I believe Sako makes left handed 300wm so does Ruger.
You can look at the gun auction sites for used left hand magnum rifles, if you are going to rebarrel, saving money buying used may be the way to go.
Tikka is the most left hand friendly company currently and you can find deals on used ones if you look.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
What is your budget? There is tikka 300wm that you could buy, 24” barrel and that would be under 1000. I believe Sako makes left handed 300wm so does Ruger.
You can look at the gun auction sites for used left hand magnum rifles, if you are going to rebarrel, saving money buying used may be the way to go.
Tikka is the most left hand friendly company currently and you can find deals on used ones if you look.
Only problem I have with tikka is if I don’t rebarrel right away. Tikka doesn’t come with threaded barrel for a can.
Iv search some used but haven’t found much.
I’m set on having a Xlr chassis as I want the folding stock. Most of the custom rifles iv seen are are in the 3k range ish and I’d still
Be pulling them apart.

Wrongside

WKR
Id buy a LH Tikka and have it cut/threaded. Or do a Proof prefit.

LH Tikkas are plentiful, with lots of aftermarket parts an available now. And as an added bonus, come with a good, reliable fire control mechanism.

Cutting/threading a barrel is about $150 or less. Grab a tikka and do a search on guys (like myself) that have had issues getting Bergara 300WM to shoot only to have Bergara deny fixing their turd.

I had a B14 wilderness and a tikka in an aftermarket stock is in a league way above Bergarbage. My HMR in 6.5creed was a shooter but way too heavy for hunting IMO. I also like how tikka bolts lock closed with the safety on, while REM 700 style actions can open themselves if snagged on a branch or whatever.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll do some more digging into tikkas
Actually found omr does an action barrel combo that may be a route I pursue.

SloppyJ

WKR
I've built 2 off an origin. One in 300prc and one in 6cm. Since you're ditching the stock anyway, go the clone route and do it with an origin so you can swap the bolt face down the road when you realize the 300wm isn't what you want.

Spoonbill

WKR
Only problem I have with tikka is if I don’t rebarrel right away. Tikka doesn’t come with threaded barrel for a can.
Iv search some used but haven’t found much.
I’m set on having a Xlr chassis as I want the folding stock. Most of the custom rifles iv seen are are in the 3k range ish and I’d still
Be pulling them apart.
The veil’s come threaded 5/8-24. Ruger m77 comes threaded as well but I am not sure if xlr makes a chassis for those.

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow lefty, I would pick up a Tikka rifle and preferred barrels prefit if you don't want the factory barrel.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
which optics would one prefer? Maven rs3.2 or NF NX8 and why?

SloppyJ

WKR
As a fellow lefty, I would pick up a Tikka rifle and preferred barrels prefit if you don't want the factory barrel.
Why go with a Tikka when you could have the versatility of something like the origin where you can swap bolt faces AND have the rem 700 footprint for parts. You aren't saving anything unless you can find a deal under 700 or so on the tikka action and then it's only a few hundred bucks.

Spoonbill

WKR
which optics would one prefer? Maven rs3.2 or NF NX8 and why?
Looking at the scope reviews, the only maven that has passed the drop test is the rs1.2. Nightforces are considered more durable. Dig around there and see what scopes have been tested.

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
We have 2 Left Hand Defiance Classic actions from Pucker Factor. I bought them for my boys. They are good to go. I was able to get extra bolts too. I had the extra bolts nitrided so we can tell them apart at a glance. One of my kids ended up being left handed but right eye dominant so I have "no use" for one, just sayin'. He's shooting right handed now.

We have 2 Element 4.0 magnesium chassis too that fold. I might be able to answer follow up questions on this platform but these are my boys rifles so I interact with them but I'm not really interested in them if that makes sense.

I have experience with Maven and Nightforce optics.

I just got the Maven. I've been using Nightforce for years. I wouldn't consider anything from Maven except for the RS1.2 based on all the feedback here. I saw the entire Maven line at the Great American Outdoor Show and then used the RS1.2 at Shoot 2 Hunt and I'm surprised I own one. I just got a head's up from a member here that they restocked and went for it.

With Nightforce options for FFP are limited. I use 4-16x42 ATACR and while Mil-C sounds good on paper I'd go with Mil-R for your reticle.

Fit and finish is way better on ATACR than Maven but obviously we are at 2 very different price points and the ATACR is heavier. I strongly....strongly prefer the green illuminated reticle from Nightforce. I'm only 200 rounds in on the Maven and did one hunt in April with a borrowed one. One thing I've noticed with the Maven just recently is how much the illuminated reticle splashes above 6 power which I think is ridiculous and reminds me of of my old HAWKE scope I had in my 20's that cost $200.00. No such issues with Nightforce as it should be.

Last edited:

kswaterfowl

Lil-Rokslider
Why go with a Tikka when you could have the versatility of something like the origin where you can swap bolt faces AND have the rem 700 footprint for parts. You aren't saving anything unless you can find a deal under 700 or so on the tikka action and then it's only a few hundred bucks.
Because I'm biased 🤣🤣. Mainly because he wants a 300 wm. If he wanted something in a short action, then my answer might be different. Then you could swap between .378, .473, and ppc bolt face.

Tikka makes both the Roughtech and the Veil in a few variation with left hand and threaded barrel.

And put either an ATACR 4-16 F1 Mil-C, NX8 2.5-20 or the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15 on it.

No need for the super high magnification in a hunting rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
And put either an ATACR 4-16 F1 Mil-C, NX8 2.5-20 or the Maven RS 1.2 2.5-15 on it.

No need for the super high magnification in a hunting rig.
With mil-c how soon can you see the center dot? I'm at around 10X where I can actually use the reticle.

I can use the Maven reticle at 6x but can't really see it at 4x.

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Does Wyatt cut action work with CIP mags in 300prc? Also would Wyatt cut action work on a xlr?

OP
D

Decker

Lil-Rokslider
Well rifle was order today. Ended up with defiance action in a 300prc with 24” OMR carbon barrel and Xlr chassis. Can not wait.