Leupold ZL2

I typically zero my hunting scopes at 50 yards. It usually puts me pretty close to zero at 150. Even up to 250 I don't really have to adjust for hold over. I plan to stick to these standards for my deer rifle.

That being said, I have a Leupold VX5 and I'm curious how I actually use the elevation turret on my scope if I wanted to. I'm asking because it starts at zero. If I zero at 50 and then adjust the elevation turret to lets say 2 - is that supposed to put me at zero at 250? Or does it simply move me up four inches at 200 yards?

OR - Am I completely wrong and you guys can correct me.

Macintosh

WKR
Are you asking about the dial turret as it comes out of the box, or are you asking about the custom turret cap you can order?
The out of the box markings are moa (or mils on a mil scope, which is unlikely on that scope), ie “2” is 2moa (or 2 mils) above your zero. Its a measure of angle, and the range that angle correlates to depends on your rifle setup and a number of variables, including your zero distance. Imo if you are using this you are better off zeroing at 100 yards.

The turrets on the VX5 that I just bought are in MOA not inches but Leupold may still use inches on some scopes.

At any rate, download a ballistics app like Ballistics AE, set it up for your 50 yard 0 and it will give you the adjustments for your scope at various ranges. I’d suggest moving to a 100 yard 0 though.