Leupold Sx-2 alpine vs Sx-4 Pro spotting scope

Jon_G

WKR
New hunter here. I went on my first hunt and I definitely could have benefited from a spotting scope. Is the SX-4 Pro guide Leupold spotting scope really that much better to justify another $500 over the SX-2 Alpine? I was gifted an SX-2 but I can sell it and upgrade since I was going to buy the SX-2 anyway. Would it be a good comparison to look through the Santiam BX-5 binocular (which I have) to compare clarity or am I in a completely different ballpark here? Thanks in advance!

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
While I cant answer your exact question I can give you some side-wisdom on the sx-2. I bought one a while ago and id say it works well out to 600 yards but my sub $500 binos outshine it at pretty much everything.

Its really frustrating to switch from a 10x42 to the spotting scope and get no clarity advantage past 600 -800yards.... why even have a spotting scope at that point?

If you want a spotting scope, spend enough to get a something that will give you an advantage over a bino.

A good pair of binos can serve you for most circumstances. But being able to count pts at 2000 yards does have its advantages.... and price tag.

OP
Jon_G

Jon_G

WKR
While I cant answer your exact question I can give you some side-wisdom on the sx-2. I bought one a while ago and id say it works well out to 600 yards but my sub $500 binos outshine it at pretty much everything.

Its really frustrating to switch from a 10x42 to the spotting scope and get no clarity advantage past 600 -800yards.... why even have a spotting scope at that point?

If you want a spotting scope, spend enough to get a something that will give you an advantage over a bino.

A good pair of binos can serve you for most circumstances. But being able to count pts at 2000 yards does have its advantages.... and price tag.
Really appreciate your input. I have not looked at anything through a lense past 100 yards that's why I mentioned that I'm a new hunter so you guys can tell me your experience at long distances. I think I'll just sell the SX-2 and go with the Pro guide then.

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider
New hunter here. I went on my first hunt and I definitely could have benefited from a spotting scope. Is the SX-4 Pro guide Leupold spotting scope really that much better to justify another $500 over the SX-2 Alpine? I was gifted an SX-2 but I can sell it and upgrade since I was going to buy the SX-2 anyway. Would it be a good comparison to look through the Santiam BX-5 binocular (which I have) to compare clarity or am I in a completely different ballpark here? Thanks in advance!
I’ve contemplated a very similar question I would go for the sx4 pro. I think the upgrade in glass is very much worth it. I’m a value guy and I think there’s definitely areas that you can find things for less expensive that perform as well as their expensive counterparts. Spotting scopes I don’t think is in that category and you really get what you pay for.

Get the sx-4, or get a used gen 1 vortex razor for about 500.

Also if you are looking for a straight scope I have a lead on a straight sx4 for sub 500 as well.