Let's talk processing

SBR Sarge

FNG
Thanks Aaron. I had wondered if the difference was that some are a grit type texture and some, like mine, have very fine striations. It sounds like any texture is a sharpening and smooth is honing where it more polishes the edge rather than removing much material.

Thanks!

Weldor

WKR
Best cutting boards are teflon, you can get it in sheets or cut to size . Mcmaster carr or other suppliers. I use one 1/2" thick 24" x 36 sits on top of my table heavy enough it does not move around. Just us a standard router to round over the edges and your set.

thechad

FNG
Many have said it, but sharp knives are a must.

"A dull knife goes where it wants to. A sharp knife goes where YOU want it to."

BBob

WKR
I had no idea there were two kinds of steels. Here’s a pic or two of my Gerber steel. Any idea what kind it is?
The Zwilling/Kramer double cut has both. If you don’t own a steel yet this is a good one to have.

S.Clancy

WKR
As a guy that has used a 3/4 HP grinder for like 10 years, I would up the grinder to 1.5 HP personally. I also wouldn't bother with the mixer. And get a big stuffer, like ~15 lbs ish. The vaccuum sealer is nice to have, but I end up wrapping alot of the meat we cut. I have not seen any freezer burn on wrapped meat if eaten in a reasonable time, like within 2 years.