Let's talk Broadheads....

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing I’m re-thinking is my overall weight arrow at 402 gr seems to be lighter than majority of other setups I’m seeing….

Like all others mentioned make sure it tunes to your bow. I’ve Killed elk with slick trick 100 gr. tuned well to my setup. Changed to 14.3% FOC and went to 125gr magnus black hornet. That broadhead will also do serious damage. Sharp out the box but I like to put a finer edge on myself. Flys true when your set up is properly tuned.

Marble

WKR
Only thing I’m re-thinking is my overall weight arrow at 402 gr seems to be lighter than majority of other setups I’m seeing….
If you decide to switch arrows, choose quality. Do not measure or worry about your FOC. That stuff is all BS anyways. Do not have a total weight in mind, e.g. I need 510 grains...if you hit that mark that is just fine. But dont obsess over it... But buy a quality arrow.

Just an example, if you bought easton Axis in 300 spine, put 50 grains of vrass in the front and a 100 grain head, you would be somewhere around 470-500 grains. This can be done with lots of other arrows too. Remember, the biggest part of arrow accuracy is the shooter.

Buy atleast a dozen, and shoot a lot. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Scoot

WKR
If you decide to switch arrows, choose quality. Do not measure or worry about your FOC. That stuff is all BS anyways. Do not have a total weight in mind, e.g. I need 510 grains...if you hit that mark that is just fine. But dont obsess over it... But buy a quality arrow.

Just an example, if you bought easton Axis in 300 spine, put 50 grains of vrass in the front and a 100 grain head, you would be somewhere around 470-500 grains. This can be done with lots of other arrows too. Remember, the biggest part of arrow accuracy is the shooter.

Buy atleast a dozen, and shoot a lot. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Mostly, I agree with this. FOC isn't ALL BS, IMO, but its importance is not huge (no nearly what people make of it). You'd be better off with 450-500 total weight, but if you swap to a 125 head you'll also be ok too. In fact, you're ok now. You'll see a small improvement switching to 425 and another improvement bumping up 25 or 50 more grains. But... over 400 is ok and more than sufficient. None of these details will matter as much as putting your shot where you should.

I have no idea what my FOC is, not a clue. I do know these Black eagle rampage 300s off my 58lb bow with 125 grain head are nasty on elk. I think I’ve shot through the last 6 or so at 245fps

Jaquomo

WKR
I have a friend who has killed 55 elk with a bow, mostly with arrows in the 400 grain range total weight, 100 grain heads. My partner and I have killed 68, most with either Muzzy 125 or Slick Trick 125, with total arrow packages of around 420-440 grain. Most of these were killed with stickbows between 52-58 lbs. FWIW. I've switched to Iron Will 125s a few years ago for a number of reasons. No need to overthink it. The heads you are shooting will do just fine if they tune well for your setup and are sharp as hell. Al little more weight won't hurt you, though.

I have a friend who has killed 55 elk with a bow, mostly with arrows in the 400 grain range total weight, 100 grain heads. My partner and I have killed 68, most with either Muzzy 125 or Slick Trick 125, with total arrow packages of around 420-440 grain. Most of these were killed with stickbows between 52-58 lbs. FWIW. I've switched to Iron Will 125s a few years ago for a number of reasons. No need to overthink it. The heads you are shooting will do just fine if they tune well for your setup and are sharp as hell. Al little more weight won't hurt you, though.
Listen to this guy. He knows his shit.

I've killed elk with a 400gr and a 490 grain. They both did the same thing.
Don't overthink it.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the feedback. Good information.

dtrkyman

WKR
Way back in the day a friend of mine was taken on a hunt to Vermejo park. He had an older Mathews and some really light arrows. Did not have money for upgrades so we simply added weight tubes to his existing arrows.

Got them up to the low 400s, shooting a 4 blade 100 grain muzzy, killed a 340 bull, perfect shot at 25 yards and complete passthrough!

Thunderheads will kill elk however there are better options out there. Like anything technology always progresses and the thunderhead has been around for a long time. I would rather shoot 100gr montec over 125gr thunderhead. For reference Ive killed 9 bulls with various 100gr heads before switching to 125 and have killed one since so my sample size with 125 grain performance is limited. If your arrow is sufficiently heavy and moving fast enough there is nothing wrong with using it for elk

Roam_USA

FNG
I choose broadheads that are:

Sharp and stay Sharp
High quality with consistent performance

I haven't found one that didn't shoot well in my bow. But i have someone who can tune a bow better than anyone I've met and can teach archery to anyone willing to learn.

Whatever broadhead the OP chooses, it should be able to shave hair.

110% correct on sharpness point. Research the process of clotting called thromboplastin, it’ll explain why sharpness extends the process of clotting, which in turn is better blood trails which leads to an easy recovery. Simple as that.

Worry more about your tune and ability to shoot well under pressure. I would not change much on your set up. Guys that change there bow, arrows, heads for a "big hunt" are asking for trouble. Shoot what you know!

Idaboy

WKR
Two broadheads that you may want to look at: Slicktrick 125gr & Magnus Stinger, 2 blades with bleeders. Both seem to shoot as well as field points. Additionally, I love how easy the are to resharpen after use. I have many that I’ve killed multiple animals with. Also, they’re not super expensive—relatively.
Any tricks to resharpening a slick trick?

Idaboy

WKR
If you're happy with your 100 gr Montecs, keep shooting them. Put a weight screw behind the insert if you want a little heavier arrow.
Agree with this ^^^^^. If tuning becomes an issue stick with your current head and use weight in arrow....I have steered away from slightly larger heads (that are maybe 1/8 inch larger diameter) and stuck with 1" width BH and stack weight with inserts if trying to increase arrow weight or FOC

Idaboy

WKR
So many variables (DL, speed, draw weight) to throw out a single number for an arrow.
1) shoot for 250-280 fps, can be difficult to BH tune at higher speeds. You can go faster or slower, but that will come with the downsides of achieving that.
2) shoot for 7-8 grains per pound and just make sure FOC is at least 10%... that usually gets you close for balanced solid arrow.
3) tune, tune and then tune and practice some more with your broadheads all year long