Leopold vx5 problems

pharmfisher

Lil-Rokslider
There was a poll on here a while back asking people of they have ever lost zero with their leupold scope. Well over 50% of people had at least 1 leupold fail to hold zero. I don't know how you ignore a statistic like that and continue to buy them. I guess if you really baby your equipment.

Macintosh

WKR
There was a poll on here a while back asking people of they have ever lost zero with their leupold scope. Well over 50% of people had at least 1 leupold fail to hold zero. I don't know how you ignore a statistic like that and continue to buy them. I guess if you really baby your equipment.
This one?

i bought a 3-15x56 vx5hd would not hold zero on a known tack driver, sent it back in after only having it two days 4 weeks later it shows back up with new erectors in it and haven't had a problem sense, still irks me though it had issues right out of the box

CampSmith

FNG
I have many different leupold scopes over the years. I'm talking 35+ years. When I hear guys on here say they loose zero with minor bumps or hits it honestly makes me laugh. I've killed more animals with those leupold scoped rifles than most guys will even see while hunting. Guess what I've never had one lose or fail to hold zero. I hunt hard so my equipment takes a beating. Riding in the back of the truck on the front of the atv in and out of a tree stand on deer drives where you have to army crawl through some of the nastiest terrain imaginable. Yes they've been dropped and more along the way. To say the least they've taken a beatin and continue to perform when I needed them to. One of the most important things while hunting is having confidence in yourself and your equipment. I never set foot in the woods with any equipment I'm not confident in. Now I understand any scope can fail its still mechanical. But in my experience Leupold scopes have performed flawlessly every time i needed them to and are about as reliable a piece of hunting equipment you can ever invest in.

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Not a VX-5 specifically, but I’ve never had a problem with any Leupold scopes. Many VX-1s, 2s, and 3s (and LRPs).

People scoff at Leupold's 18 inch lbs torque recommendation and over torque them then complain when they don't track properly.

My future purchases will be Trijicon, have two planned, however I have a VX5 that's been on a bunch of thousand mile trips and took a beating falling out of my truck once, probably a couple hundred miles on foot strapped to my pack and it's never magically lost zero... but I did follow their torque recommendation.

gearguywb

WKR
I have a VX6 that may be heading back to Leupold. I had it on a 375. Last weekend I wanted to shoot a few groups. 2 shots touching, next one out 6" (at 100).

Loaded 3 more. Looked like a shotgun pattern. Came home, double checked all of the mount/ring settings.

I threw a new scope on the rifle today and will head back to the range to test rifle/mounts as well as putting the scope in question on a 223 to see what happens

CampSmith

FNG
I have a VX6 that may be heading back to Leupold. I had it on a 375. Last weekend I wanted to shoot a few groups. 2 shots touching, next one out 6" (at 100).

Loaded 3 more. Looked like a shotgun pattern. Came home, double checked all of the mount/ring settings.

I threw a new scope on the rifle today and will head back to the range to test rifle/mounts as well as putting the scope in question on a 223 to see what happens
Make sure to check your guard or action screws on your stock. .375 is stout and can loosen them. That will open up groups quite a bit. Depending on gun and manufacturer average torque can be anywhere from 30 to 60 inlbs

Make sure to check your guard or action screws on your stock. .375 is stout and can loosen them. That will open up groups quite a bit. Depending on gun and manufacturer average torque can be anywhere from 30 to 60 inlbs
I just had this issue on a Weatherby that's normally a tack driver. Found the loose action screws when I got home. It's amazing how much grief they can cause, got loctite on them now.

CampSmith

FNG
I just had this issue on a Weatherby that's normally a tack driver. Found the loose action screws when I got home. It's amazing how much grief they can cause, got loctite on them now.
There you go I'm glad I can help out. Seen this too many times it can really be a pain in the ass with guys changing ammo and then scopes for no reason. 👍🏻