Lens recommendations

gggaff

FNG
I am new to photography and have been using my Pixel 6 Pro for photos and a GoPro 10 for outdoor video. I also used the GoPro to film my daughter's college basketball games. After a year of doing this I finally bought an entry level camera. I purchased a Canon EOS Rebel SL3 DSLR Camera with 18-55mm Lens. I am wondering what other lens should I add to my gear. I am guessing I would want to add a wide angle as well as a telephoto as finances allow me to do so. I am looking for a couple of recommendations for value lens. I primarily shoot outdoor landscapes and pics of our adventures. My daughter has one more season of college ball and plan on using the camera instead of the GoPro since it can shoot quality photos too.

charliebravo77

Lil-Rokslider
What's your budget for new glass?

The Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 is one of the best APS-C sensor lenses out there. It's extremely clear, sharp and is great for low light landscape shots. Something like a 70-200/2.8 would be good for shooting sports. Those are definitely not budget or entry level pricing, though. If you are looking for better performance out of the SL3 without breaking the bank then the EF-S 18-135 IS USM is a pretty good "do everything" option albeit not terribly fast, even on the wide end, but the IS gives you a little bit of wiggle room in low light.

You may also consider a handful of prime lenses if you are shooting at the same focal lengths regularly. If you find yourself shooting at 55mm frequently then maybe a 50/1.8 would be a good upgrade to get some faster glass. Same for a 24mm or 35mm prime.

As someone who shoots a lot of landscapes as well as a lot of "sports" and wildlife type shots the 18-35/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 are very frequently on my camera mostly because of their fast aperture over some of the other options I have.

OP
gggaff

gggaff

FNG
What's your budget for new glass?

The Sigma Art 18-35/1.8 is one of the best APS-C sensor lenses out there. It's extremely clear, sharp and is great for low light landscape shots. Something like a 70-200/2.8 would be good for shooting sports. Those are definitely not budget or entry level pricing, though. If you are looking for better performance out of the SL3 without breaking the bank then the EF-S 18-135 IS USM is a pretty good "do everything" option albeit not terribly fast, even on the wide end, but the IS gives you a little bit of wiggle room in low light.

You may also consider a handful of prime lenses if you are shooting at the same focal lengths regularly. If you find yourself shooting at 55mm frequently then maybe a 50/1.8 would be a good upgrade to get some faster glass. Same for a 24mm or 35mm prime.

As someone who shoots a lot of landscapes as well as a lot of "sports" and wildlife type shots the 18-35/1.8 and 70-200/2.8 are very frequently on my camera mostly because of their fast aperture over some of the other options I have.
Thank you. I currently don't have a budget. I needed to figure out what would be a good fit for my use before selling some of my stuff to raise money.

idcuda

WKR
You can get 55-250 lens very cheap on Amazon (don't be afraid of the "used-very good" options). It would get you into something without breaking the bank and you'll learn a lot.

Jeff338

FNG
Classified Approved
canon 70-200 is a great lens to alway have around

maya

FNG
My 2 cents... LOTS of brands & specs...
For general use my philosophy is "shoot wide, crop later". An F2.8 16-24mm equivalent on a cropped sensor mirrorless body is about perfect for landscape & lifestyle stuff.