Votes: 18 85.7%
  • Browning X-Bolt Hunter Wood Stock 22" barrel

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Christensen Arms Mesa FFT 20" barrel

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

ca-hunter

FNG
I was picking up my first hunting rifle (Tikka T3X ) when realized I am right handed but left eye dominant which made it feel much more comfortable to sight with my left eye and have decided to get a left handed rifle. Narrowed it down to these three options in 6.5 Creedmoor:
  • Tikka T3X Superlite $950
  • Browning X-Bolt Hunter w/ Wood Stock $1000
  • Christensen Arms Mesa FFT $1250
I like the full features CA especially the shorter barrel and muzzle brake but have heard mixed reviews about QC. I really liked the 60° bolt on the X-Bolt when I tried it in stores. And then of course, just sticking to Tikka...

Spoonbill

WKR
You could buy a regular t3x lite and have the barrel cut down. I cut my 223 to 18” and its handier than my 22” tikkas.
I have 3 Tikkas since they checked all the boxes for left hand rifles. The vertical grip for the t3x is worth buying if you go the Tikka route.

ehayes

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka and my brother has the x bolt gold medallion wood stock. My close friend went through QC and CS problems with CA and it was not fun for him.
I got the tikka knowing that I wanted to upgrade parts.
My brother wanted to buy a rifle with a nice wood stock and not mess with it.
Both reputable rifles. We are both happy with our choice.

as a lefty i started with savages and they served me well for 15 years until i was able to hop on the tikka train. now i just buy tikkas. sent the last one off to kampfeld customs to get cut down to 20" and threaded. that cost me less than $200 with shipping. which made the LH tikka hunter in 243 less expensive than my LH roughtech in 308 (factory threaded at 22", fluted n whatnot yadda $1000+).

that said, it's not that difficult for me to use a right handed bolt rifle so i dont know if you should even worry that much about it.

i don't know if i'd go for a $950 superlight when a T3x lite could be bought and sent off to be cut back and threaded for about the same whether LH or RH. and i dont feel inclined to spend money on brownings or christensens, why bother?

Beendare

WKR
as a lefty i started with savages and they served me well for 15 years until i was able to hop on the tikka train. now i just buy tikkas. sent the last one off to kampfeld customs to get cut down to 20" and threaded. that cost me less than $200 with shipping. which made the LH tikka hunter in 243 less expensive than my LH roughtech in 308 (factory threaded at 22", fluted n whatnot yadda $1000+).

that said, it's not that difficult for me to use a right handed bolt rifle so i dont know if you should even worry that much about it.

i don't know if i'd go for a $950 superlight when a T3x lite could be bought and sent off to be cut back and threaded for about the same whether LH or RH. and i dont feel inclined to spend money on brownings or christensens, why bother?
Lefty here also. So you Have the Light and not the Ultra light correct?

The ultra light doesn't have enough barrel thickness to cut and thread, Correct?

Antique0s

FNG
I have no idea if Remington makes the 700 in a left handed action presently, but my son purchased one a number of years ago.

KenLee

WKR
Tikka. The Browning’s shoot well but not a lot of support or aftermarket for them.
Because the Brownings don't need any changes except a $12 trigger spring...if you are trigger sensitive.
I actually take replacement springs out and go back to factory so all my triggers are similar.

OP
C

ca-hunter

FNG
Thanks for the advice all! I did some more eye dominance tests the last few days and it is pretty inconclusive because it seems to switch depending on eye fatigue and usage throughout the day. My plan is to get a right handed rifle and learn how to shoot with both eyes down the road if I have to. Leaning towards Browning X Bolt Speed 22" - it checks all the boxes for me:
  • lightweight
  • shorter barrel for mountain hunting
  • threaded with muzzle brake
  • fewer QC concerns over CA, maybe not as rock solid reliable as Tikka
  • not too plain jane with the OVIS camo (prefer the Hell's Canyon colors but oh well, it's purely cosmetic)

I grew up shooting left due to being left eye dominant but i'm right handed, spent alot of time shooting in the heat with a suppressed ar and had to ask my wife to pull carbon and brass slivers from my right forearm. she put uo with it for a year then told me no more. so I tried shooting right handed, took a couple months but now i shoot completely right handed for ar's and bolt guns. I'm actually selling my three left handed bolt guns and have picked up a right handed prs build and working out a right handed hunting build right now.

so you don't HAVE to shoot lefty as a left eye dominant guy, but it is nice not having to share rifles with anyone. And if you want a lefty 7 rem mag, 270, or 9.3x62 hmu lol