Learning to call ... need some help

philcox

WKR
New to calling. Will be helping my niece on her first Elk hunt this November. I have never hunted Elk before. Trying to learn to call. I have an Elk101 All-Star and a small Phelps tube. My question, is "how do I learn how to call?" I have youtubed, but can't figure out if it sounds like an Elk or a cat getting run over or a duck getting squished, etc. ;)

Any pointers to the "technique" are appreciated.

Phil

Calling isn’t likely to do you any good in November. But there’s lots of tutorials out there though. Look on YouTube at elk101 and elknut aka Paul Medel. Paul has a lot of good stuff out there.

Above posts are spot on. Not sure how much calling you will do in Nov but youtube, elk101 and elknut are good to learn to call. The only thing I would add is simply just practice/time. Its not something that comes in a day. Buy a bunch of calls and work your calling in the truck when youre driving. Record yourself and listen to "real" elk via youtube etc.

Elknut app has real elk sounds, elnut calling and a record/playback feature for you to compare. But wait there's more. For a limited time only, you can also get calling scenarios included in the app that expalin how and when to use the new sounds you have learned to make. Dont wait, call now.

I'd focus on getting good at making cow sounds. Pretty unlikely you're going to call one in in November but cow sounds can help you sound more like an elk moving through the woods and also can be a good way to stop an animal.

Download sound cloud on your phone, then you can record your calling and listen back.

Elknut app and Roe hunting resources are also both good.

I just learned to call this year. Lots of practice with diaphragm and open reed cow calls, and lots of youtube videos.

For that time of year, I'd work on cow calls more than anything. Little chirps and mews. An open reed is great for that.

Trust me, my calling is not good, but still got the bulls to come in. Practice and youtube.

New to calling. Will be helping my niece on her first Elk hunt this November. I have never hunted Elk before. Trying to learn to call. I have an Elk101 All-Star and a small Phelps tube. My question, is "how do I learn how to call?" I have youtubed, but can't figure out if it sounds like an Elk or a cat getting run over or a duck getting squished, etc. ;)

Any pointers to the "technique" are appreciated.

Phil
Google Steve Chappell and watch some of his YouTube videos. He is an absolute technician when it comes to communicating with elk. Good luck on your hunt!

Your phone probably has an app to record audio already on it. Set your phone 10 or so feet away from you, make some calls then play the recording back and compare what you hear on your phone to online call resources. The Elknut app is worth the cost just for the the elk sounds alone not to mention his tips and strategies plus you can record with the app and switch back and forth between your calling and the app sound files quick and easy for comparison.

It's nice to have that perfect sounding bugle with text book pitch but is it really necessary?

If your hunting a herd bull?.....probably.

I have heard herd bulls so hoarse from calling all night long fending off satellites that by morning their bugles sounded like chit ...lol....

If your trying for satellites I would concentrate on location bugle or immature sounding bull.

I had alot of action this year simply doing QUIET cow calling chirps(hoochie mama) followed by some open reed estrus whine(Carlton fighting cow call)....and mix in a spike/ satellite bugle(no chuckles or grunts) and sit and wait....every once and awhile I will rake some trees and stomp some brush....just trying to create a "picture" of a immature Bull with a hot cow.....something that will not be ignored if there are bigger Bulls in the area.

If your in peak rut and the elk are fired up it doesn’t matter as much. The beginning of this month we were in a lot of elk. We called multiple bulls in with reeds, and our bugle tubes were our hands. If it’s late season we just cow call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At times in the past I have found Bugling worked better in later stages of rut?

I think every situation is unique and they have lots of calls, just have to "read" what's going on and respond accordingly.

This year a couple times I had a herd bull calling but you could tell he wasnt coming....he was waiting for the hot cow to come to him?

Every year a guy should be keeping a journal of every encounter and eventually you will have your own "playbook".

Elknut, corey jacobsen and Chris roe are all a bit different but very worth paying lots of attention.

Honestly for a late season strategy on calling, I'd be paying attention to roe. Google roe hunting resources and watch some of his vids. He has a pay to play site that will be way worth the cost of admission.

You'll find elknut and jacobsen too aggressive that late in my opinion.

Reactions: OKL
Back