layers needed for March Alaska trip

v8rider

FNG
Trip to Alaska in March, snowmobiling & hunting around Dillingham area with high's ~30 and low's ~16. Could I get away with Kuiu Axis gear over good base and mid layer or do I need a heavier down puffy jacket? I will have a shell over the Axis if required for wind and rain.
Thanks

vinifera

FNG
In all seriousness. A base 170 merino T on top and 150 boxer on bottom is shiznit. How far you're riding and aggressive is not known.
A 200 bottom and a 300+ on top will work for the mid. The outerlayer needs to be waterproof and breathable.
Not riding to generate heat, you'll need more "insulation" AKA 300 bottom and use 3/4 thermals. Carry a puffy and use under the top. when needed.

You left alot of the things out of your post that needs to be known. 16 °F and rain doesn't make sense.

Also add that you'll need a balaclava and neck gaiter when moving. Don't forget the beanie when you disembark the ride and move on foot and ditch the helmet.

OP
v8rider

v8rider

FNG
Thanks, yeah there are a lot of unknowns right now.... 16 are the lows, might get up to 33 - 36 during the day and worried snow turns to rain or snow piling up on the outer shell melts.

gbflyer

WKR
Probably ask who you’re going with/folks who live there? Nothing more miserable than a snow machine and the wrong gear.

Josey D

FNG
Probably ask who you’re going with/folks who live there? Nothing more miserable than a snow machine and the wrong gear.
Agree we have plenty of early march days where is starts off below zero. Used to camp on the iditarod trail in early march & don't ever remember rain, but then again maybe you are going late march.