Layering Vs Heavy Outerwear Experience

I agree that a layering system is the only option for backpacking or very active hunting. I have been utilizing my layering system for more stationary hunting (treestand, coyotes, waterfowl, etc) and find myself getting much colder than I feel like I should be. So this year I decided to try some more heavy outerwear versus multiple pieces. I have found that a comparable “all in one” heavy coat is much warmer than a layering system of similar specs. For instance a layering system consisting of a base layer, grid fleece, 100 gram primaloft synthetic puffy, then a softshell or hardshell over top versus a base layer, grid fleece, and a heavy coat with 100 grams of primaloft and a windproof/waterproof outer fabric built in. I find the latter option to be substantially warmer than the piece by piece system. I cant seem to make sense of why this is the case. The only thing I can think of is the puffy is being compressed under the outer shell, although nothing is tight and seems to be sized properly to negate this. Anyone else have a similar experience or have insight on why this might be the case for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I have found the same to be true with my set up. I find it's much easier for me to carry my coveralls rolled up and cinched/strapped to my tree stand or pack than it is to carry many layers and I stay so much warmer. I'm usually stand/still hunting whitetails though. I do still have a base layer and many times a jacket that I am layering with the coveralls. I have also been known to layer a L set of hunting coveralls undeath an XL for all day hunts when temps are -10- -30 F. My favorite piece of cold weather gear is my hand muff though.

moximouse

Lil-Rokslider
For static activities like glassing or stand hunting, there really isnt a good alternative to a puffy with appropriate fill volume. For backpacking/mountaineering in temps below freezing, I use layering systems for anything involving movement but always have a significant puffy layer for when movement stops.

Its still part of my overall layering system, I just tailor to activities. If I'm going to be primarily static, it will probably just be a grid fleece and the puffy.

Doesn't invalidate layering, its just "another level"

Bagpipe

FNG
Backpack hunting, I have been very happy with the versatility of a good layer system and also the ability to regulate heat. However, on more static hunting activities I am considering heavier wool. It's quiet and doesn't reflect light.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
Its always a challenge to know how much to wear. I was taking notes on my phone when standing hunt, something to do. temp, what I wore. But I never really ever looked at it again.