Layering system for Idaho elk, WY antelope and SD Mule deer

Hey guys,
Having a crisis of faith over here trying to decide on a couple of pieces to lean on this fall.
Last year I epically over packed my clothing. I really, really did not understand layering. The first day of the trip the morning was cold and I wore every layer of clothing I had. I made it about 30 min before I had to ditch layers like crazy.

In my pack I had enough clothing for 3 guys.
No joke I had-
Full heavyweight merino base layers, synthetic base layers, a vest, a puffy, a heavy rain set, a soft shell, and what felt like 2 tons of gear. I froze to death while glassing because I had sweated out all my gear and drowned myself in sweat while hiking up the hill every morning because I had over dressed.

This year I have narrowed down my gear a bit.

I will be running my Kuiu attack pants again. They are my favorite. They are just a bit too warm for the hottest days, but opening the hip vents makes them really work from 20 degrees on up for me.

For my top layers, I am thinking of wearing a kuiu 125 ss merino top, then a sitka core lightweight hoodie for the hood, facemask and sun protection. Is this redundant? Do I really need both? I want the merino so I don't stink, because I sweat like a ho ho ho in church. Does anybody run a core lightweight over a merino t? Or am I being silly and I should just run it as my base layer?

My next layer will either be a sitka core heavy which I like, or my peloton 200 which I love. I have a kuiu 145 hoodie, but it feels weirdly warm whenever I wear it and I am genuinely worried about its durability from catching brush.

I am going to pack a light weight packable rain jacket and pants just in case.

Last year I froze my butt off, or died of heat exhaustion. There was no in between haha.

Since I am planning a couple days without coming back to the truck, weight is a bit more of a concern this year, and honestly I just want to be more comfortable than last year.

Is a merino T a good idea or am I just overthinking again? I have been wearing my gear for training hikes, shed hunting and turkey scouting and I just can't decide so I am hoping I can lean on your experience

Thanks guys, can't wait till september.

I wear Sitka core lightweight hoody and have a spare in pack to changeout when I get to glassing area, while I hang dry my wet one I sweated in on hike in.

If on cold side I’ll also wear Jetstream vest while hiking…that’s all. I tend to run warm especially after I start hiking.

In pack, I’ll have a heavyweight hoody(if it’s cold), puffy(always) and cloudburst rain gear. I tend to wear more to cut wind than as rain gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
I wear Sitka core lightweight hoody and have a spare in pack to changeout when I get to glassing area, while I hang dry my wet one I sweated in on hike in.

If on cold side I’ll also wear Jetstream vest while hiking…that’s all. I tend to run warm especially after I start hiking.

In pack, I’ll have a heavyweight hoody(if it’s cold), puffy(always) and cloudburst rain gear. I tend to wear more to cut wind than as rain gear.

Sounds like a solid setup, do you find your core lightweights to stink after a couple days? What kind of puffy do you have?

I don't have a jetstream or similar yet, my softshell is a cheaper one I have had for a few years that at some point I will probably upgrade.

Sounds like a solid setup, do you find your core lightweights to stink after a couple days? What kind of puffy do you have?

I don't have a jetstream or similar yet, my softshell is a cheaper one I have had for a few years that at some point I will probably upgrade.

Core ltweight hoodies(2) last me 10 days. For being synthetic, their comparable To my merino layers. I’ve got 3 puffies, normally use Kelvin(w/o hoody), but come Nov it’s the Kelvin Down WS hoody…it’s a beast and hood too. I use the hell outta my vest, but I’m sure there’s cheaper options… it’s a windproof outer with grid fleece liner