Late Wyoming September Elk Clothing

bates

WKR
So it has been a minute since I have hunted elk in September.

Rifle Elk hunt, Powell Wyoming, September 19-27, Horseback Hunt

Right now i plan to take.....

Kuiu Katana Rain Set
Stone Glacier pants x2 the de havilland pant
kuiu 97 zip off bottom
kuiu super down pant
socks, boots, gaiter, undies etc.

sitka gear kelvin lite down jacket
stone glacier merino base
kuiu 120 base
kuiu 145 hoody
kuiu 260 hoody
kuiu katana hybrid jacket

gloves, beanie and ball cap

thoughts... not sure what to expect.

Haven't hunted Wyoming so not sure I'm in the position to provide input yet, but I am curious about the two Kuiu hoodies. Could you get away with just packing 1? I guess it doesn't matter too much since you are horseback.

mntnguide

WKR
Ive seen 80+ degree days to below freezing nights that time of year. Never know. Ive seen over 3 feet of snow fall that week, or no snow until late october. So for your planning, you just need to really pay attention to the weather right before you leave. One of the coldest places on any mountain is the hour or two you will spend in the saddle before daylight heading to hunting spots. No matter what the temps are, you will want long john bottoms and tops on for the mornings usually. If its extremely warm this year, you wont need much else, but like i said, if we have one of those early heavy snow storms, it could look a lot like winter that time of year too. Cant really tell you what to bring, but you need to prepare for either scenario cause both are likely here in western wy.

OP
B

bates

WKR
Haven't hunted Wyoming so not sure I'm in the position to provide input yet, but I am curious about the two Kuiu hoodies. Could you get away with just packing 1? I guess it doesn't matter too much since you are horseback.

I like a hoody as my second layer and since I am unsure of weather i wanted to bring a lighterweight one with the 145 or if colder the 260 would be worn. The 260 can also be worn as a standalone piece alot of times and a jacket over it isnt needed. plus i like the face fabric of it when riding horses and hitting brush

and then if its super hot i would wear the 145 either stand alone or with a merino under it

JFK

WKR
I was in Wy last year hunting antelope during the dates you’ll be there. Not in the mountains, but down lower in the flats. Weather was highly variable. Mornings were down in the low 30’s, t shirt weather by around lunch and nice into the evenings. Was clear most of the trip but got a several hour downpour with hail where we were at with snow up higher above us.