Late season Mt Emily

georgew2

FNG
Hey guys, been sitting on my points for a while and I should be able to draw late season Mt Emily.

I have talked to the local biologists every year for the past few years and getting some discouraging information. Do any of you guys have recent experience on that hunt?

I’m not looking for information on where to hunt I can scout it my self, I’m trying to decide if it’s worth burning 20 points on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Mt Emily as in Oregon Mt Emily?
Looking at Ron's data you should draw with 20pts if you are a resident.

1677868660145.png

I have only heard negative things about the deer herd in Mt Emily, but I have never actually hunted that unit for deer.

ODFW data doesnt look good either.

1677868948425.png

Sorry I couldnt be more help. I just have only heard negative things for deer in there. Elk is another story.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
The overall deer herd in mt emily is severely low. You will run into a couple issues with the late rut hunt in that unit. 1st will be access if the snow starts flying. If you have a capable vehicle, chains, winch, and maybe a four wheeler or side by side you will be ok. 2nd is finding a decent buck, they are still there but few and far between. Do a search on Ifish forum and you’ll find that quite a few people get discouraged and shoot 2-3 point bucks. 20+ points worth it? Depends on what you want to get out of the hunt. Is it only a big buck? Probably not worth it, it would be a really fun hunt if you like to hunt hard.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted it 3 years ago for archery elk, had a archery deer tag too. Hunted 18 days and only saw a few bucks. I shot a small 3 pt which was the best buck I saw. My buddy runs quite a few trail cameras up there and he has a couple good bucks on cameras but again very few.

Attachments

• 134A4E55-C6FB-4BA2-8AB2-F8E25F7E1BFD.jpeg
    134A4E55-C6FB-4BA2-8AB2-F8E25F7E1BFD.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 73
I've been in the unit elk hunting during that time, and the deer hunting is dismal. Unless you have some connections on something private where a good buck is hanging out, It would be hard for me to suggest that hunt. That goes for Oregon in general though when it comes to mule deer....

CC11

Lil-Rokslider
Not worth the points unless you have a bunch of time to scout and can figure out where a big one is living, or pay a guide. It's not what it used to be but there are still a few solid bucks around. A real good buck got shot last year during the first rifle hunt in early October but it sounds like was by a guy that basically lived on the mountain. Also run the risk of having a year like last year and get completely snowed out of a huge chunk of the unit.

DaleW

WKR
Everybody says it’s not worth the points but can anybody point to an Oregon deer hunt that is worth 20 points?

Nope. Maybe if they made a steens late hunt I could see burning 20 points but as of now I can't imagine anyone getting value for that amount of points.

OP
georgew2

georgew2

FNG
I decided against that hunt and went with trout creek mountains and beatys antelope, got them both so it should be a fun season. Headed down in a few weeks to start scouting.

OP
georgew2

georgew2

FNG
Smart. Congrats on two very good tags.

Figured I’d give you guys an update as I’m trying to decide what to do with my elk points.

Both tags were fun and successful but overwhelmed with people.

Stayed up high on the east side of Trout creek, people and camps everywhere. Seen a lot of deer mostly does and smaller bucks, spotted one a little nicer than the one I killed but he was spooked by a jeep driving up a trail below him (the jeep had no idea he was bedded there). I am happy with the one I killed but it looked a lot bigger on the sky line when we first spotted him, the ground shrinkage was real.

Beatys had people running around everywhere and it seemed everyone was hunting the same part of the unit but we prevailed and killed a decent one on the first afternoon.
2dcefcb4ac065b5ca6d6dbcb81a14e45.jpg

ccbb85a511aea6ab7e0e05179ba809f5.jpg

8382846689bb3093b50d48fc1fe9230f.jpg