Landowner tags East and West

How does your state east or west run their landowner tag system ? Good or bad in your opinion. I am amazed at the variability
Some based on size of acreage or amount in agriculture
Some limited to hunting only that property .others not.
Some can sell landowner permit .others limited to landowner or family
What about thoughts on resident or non-resident landowner ? Do you even think there should be landowner tags?

Rich M

WKR
Far as I know, most eastern states only require landowner permission - the tag/license/permit is often just purchased at the store/tax office.

We don't have draws for everything under the sun - just limited entry stuff.

The eastern states don't make as big a deal as the western states. I've hunted ME, NH, VT, CT, MD, NC, SC, GA, FL and know about AL. No special landowner tags or anything like that - just permission needed to hunt private property. Many state areas are just open to hunting, others require limited access permit.

hunt1up

WKR
Here in Illinois you can get landowner tags for: spring turkey, fall turkey, archery deer, and firearm deer.

You need a mininum of 40 acres. And anyone in your household can get these tags so long as they live at the same address as the owner.

They are not transferable and must be used on the landowners property.

It's a nice perk. Myself and both my kids will all get landowner tags starting this year from land I purchased last year. It won't really change our harvest or hunting plans, but it cuts down on the number of tags I need to buy. I'll now buy a few less country-wide tags compared to years past.

sram9102

WKR
Indiana LOs are allowed to hunt anything on their own land without purchasing any licenses or tags. Federal duck stamp not included. No acreage limitations. Just have to follow seasons and bag limits. Its a pretty good deal.

Fordguy

WKR
What Rich said... Most of the states I hunt, a guy (resident or nonresident) can just go buy a tag. In some of them there are limits on doe tags, usually a quota per area, but those are on a first come basis with a limit on how many a guy can buy total, and a smaller limit per day. There are draw hunts for wildlife management areas, but usually those are for specific dates. Outside of those dates (but during legal seasons) anyone can hunt there.

Most of the eastern states have smaller areas of federal land, some of them make up for it by having a lot of state owned public land available for hunting, fishing and other outdoor activities.

If a guy wants to hunt private property he just has to obtain legal access- either lease it, buy it, or simply have permission.

Kentucky has a program for landowners who allow elk to be taken from their property. After so many elk are taken, they are awarded a transferable tag.

I think it's a good thing, granted, most recipients are coal companies, but it is a move in the right direction to be preserving or building habitat on ground that is otherwise unused.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
In Virginia if you are a landowner you don't have to buy a license as long as your hunting on your own property, and this extends to the landowners kids, grandkids, and kids or grandkids in laws as well etc. When you check the deer in you check it in as a landowner, same bag limits apply you cant kill more deer this way etc.

For example I usually don't buy a Virginia fishing license but I can fish on my wife's grandpa's farm for free. If i only hunted there i wouldn't have to buy a hunting license either, but I branch out on public quite a bit so I buy my hunting license regardless.

You cant sell the tags or anything like that

My ranch hits two states. One state LO ranch only tags are allocated by the biologist via surveys and are transferable, the other state has a landowner drawing for transferable ranch only tags, with essentially an additional entry given to over a certain acreage size. The land owner Drawing is idiotic at best. IMO, but would take a massive state legislation over haul to change it. I wish it was done on biologist survey.

The land owners that embrace the LO programs usually see the greatest ROI, as they are working with biologist to either better carrying capacity or maximize herd health based on their carrying capacity. This is my experience but this is with non- migratory herds and larger acreage