La Sal UT Goat Tag Question...

Paul B

Lil-Rokslider
Well I was the lucky recipient that got the 1 La Sal non resident mountain goat tag. I will be doing this hunt diy and just wanted to ask those that have had goat tags in UT before and others in the know what the ideal two weeks to hunt would be. The goats get those beautiful capes going into late fall but I am also concerned with snow and access if i wait too late. The hunt dates are Sept 9th - Nov 29. If you could pick the ideal two week window to hunt, which two weeks would you hunt... I figure i will have 14 days for the actual hunt.

Also if anyone else has had this tag and doesn't mind answering some questions as i learn and scout it would be great to bounce things off of you, if you don't mind..

Last edited:
Holeeeee chit, a goat tag is guaranteed to have great scenery but this is gonna be a whole new level of dumb beautiful. Please take the head and cape to arches or something!

Definitely wait until at least October to start getting some hair. As far as weather, I don't know about the La Sals but I had a Nebo archery tag in '21 the first year they pushed that hunt back a month, and killed mine Oct 1. Got some snow on Sept 29 but luckily it didn't stick around. About 2 weeks later we got a bigger storm and I remember wondering how many poor saps with rifle tags were still out trying to chase goats. That country is dangerous enough to hike in on dry ground, I can't imagine chasing them in a foot of snow. That is going to be an awesome hunt. That far south I'd think last 2 weeks of October should be pretty good.

Well I was the lucky recipient that got the 1 La Sal non resident mountain goat tag. I will be doing this hunt diy and just wanted to ask those that have had goat tags in UT before and others in the know what the ideal two weeks to hunt would be. The goats get those beautiful capes going into late fall but I am also concerned with snow and access if i wait too late. The hunt dates are Sept 9th - Nov 29. If you could pick the ideal two week window to hunt, which two weeks would you hunt... I figure i will have 14 days for the actual hunt.

Also if anyone else has had this tag and doesn't mind answering some questions as i learn and scout it would be great to bounce things off of you, if you don't mind..
I’ve had that tag. It’s fantastic. Lots of goats. Message me if you want

Attachments

• 7E0E8700-B71D-49A0-BB8A-5EE9A660FA05.jpeg
    7E0E8700-B71D-49A0-BB8A-5EE9A660FA05.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 52