Kuiu zip off base layer pro merino 200 vs peloton 118?

I am needing a new base layer and am going zip off this time. I have heard some people talk as the peloton is just as warm as the merino. Is this the case? I tend to like synthetic a bit better than merino. For some reason keeps me a bit warmer and is more comfortable. It says mild weather on all the peloton s and cold on more of the merino. Basically using them when it gets under 20-30 degrees. I stay fairly warm unless sitting for a long time. Mostly hiking with some periods of glassing that can get long. Thanks for any info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drenalin

WKR
I don’t know about warmer in a vacuum, but the synthetic will definitely move moisture away from your skin better, which should equate to being more comfortable (warm). The 118 is a great base layer and probably the better option for what you describe. 200 weight merino is too much for me when active unless temps are around freezing or lower.

tak

WKR
The 118 is super thin, it's not like the fleece of the other peloton 97 and 200.

The 118 shirt I have smells bad after about 10 minutes. I like merino, but if I wanted synthetic, I'd go with 97 or 200 depending how thick you want it. I have the 97 and 200 shirts, as well as merino 200 top and pants.

When are you planning to use the base layer? Moving or stationary? Why type of environment? What type of weather?

I know if I am active (ex: climbing) there is zero need for a base layer down on my legs. Once stationary (ex: glassing) then the base layer comes into play.

If you want synthetic go with the Peloton 97; do not waste your money on the Peloton 118. If you want warmer or odor control is an issue, go with the Pro Merino. Do be aware that high humidity levels can make merino stay damp.

If you want real warmth when stationary, go with down (ex: ULTRA or Pro) or synthethic (Kenai) insulation.

OP
S
I guess as an example, i was just on an elk hunt in Montana and it was about 20 in the morning. Took a 30 minute atv ride and would like something from the tent to when I start walking. I do use rain gear to cut the wind but if it was much cooler it would be nice for a bit more warmth. Also when I stop to glass for an hour and would want to trap some heat in. I also do about 3/4 walking and 1/4 glassing hunting whitetail and mule deer in North Dakota. It can be 0 or less pretty easily during that time and I just think the zip off would be the ticket to throw on once I sit. I do not need a base layer when moving unless it’s probably 10 or below, maybe lower if I really am working. I also have different weight exterior pants that I use depending on the days weather and when it would be that cold and a lot of glassing planned I would also bring some of the blackovis puffy pants. Hopefully that helps

OP
S
I am not familiar with all of kuiu products. I have attack pants from them and that’s it. I was thinking the 118 would be alwarmer than the 97 but maybe not? Was doing more looking and the new 120 pro may fit the bill also

motofrog

FNG
I have the older non zip off Merino bottoms and hiking around I'm warm enough without it down to single digits. My recommendation is pick the lighter more compact pair of the two as they'll probably just live at the bottom of your pack like mine.

OP
S
I have the older non zip off Merino bottoms and hiking around I'm warm enough without it down to single digits. My recommendation is pick the lighter more compact pair of the two as they'll probably just live at the bottom of your pack like mine.

And I do worry about that. This is just the use I would like it to work for but I do use them often for a lot of other activities being in the tundra of nd! Haha

Drenalin

WKR
I am not familiar with all of kuiu products. I have attack pants from them and that’s it. I was thinking the 118 would be alwarmer than the 97 but maybe not? Was doing more looking and the new 120 pro may fit the bill also

The 97 is a fleece, much warmer than the 118.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Peloton 97 is probably the warmest unless you get into insulated pants like the kenai or down. Paired with vented pants and rain gear you can be comfortable in about anything.

I guess as an example, i was just on an elk hunt in Montana and it was about 20 in the morning. Took a 30 minute atv ride and would like something from the tent to when I start walking. I do use rain gear to cut the wind but if it was much cooler it would be nice for a bit more warmth. Also when I stop to glass for an hour and would want to trap some heat in. I also do about 3/4 walking and 1/4 glassing hunting whitetail and mule deer in North Dakota. It can be 0 or less pretty easily during that time and I just think the zip off would be the ticket to throw on once I sit. I do not need a base layer when moving unless it’s probably 10 or below, maybe lower if I really am working. I also have different weight exterior pants that I use depending on the days weather and when it would be that cold and a lot of glassing planned I would also bring some of the blackovis puffy pants. Hopefully that helps

Several companies make down zip off pants. They are significantly warmer than the Peloton 118, Peloton 97, and the Pro Merinos. The down puffy pants rocks for when you are stationary and want to stay warm.

I personally would avoid the Peloton 118. If you think it will work, buy the shirt and go hang outside in NoDak in January only wearing it up top (no jacket) and report back on how warm it kept you. If you feel the need, look at the Peloton 97 or comparable for a bottom base layer.

2-Stix

WKR
200 is a loose base layer, and really more of a thin mid layer. I have it, it snags easy, I don't like it much. For a base I prefer the short zip 145. very versatile. I only use wool for base layers. Synthetic stinks quick, wicks faster and will feel warmer if its loaded with sweat. I still prefer wool base layers.