Kuiu stove jack?

amp713

WKR
Has anyone tried out kuius solution to a stove in their shelters? It's a stove jack piece you zip into the door and run the stove pipe through. Very curious if I could get it to work with my tipi. My diy projects usually dont go as planned and I dont want to ruin my shelter attempting to sew one in myself. Plus with this you could leave the piece home if you chose to not bring a stove....

At $40 I'm really thinking I might try it out but figured I'd see opinions on it first if there were any.

No experience with the kuiu jack but I don’t think I’d want something that zips in. Zippers are a weak point that can let in leaks and separate in the wind. Both of those from experience.

For what it’s worth I make my own stove jacks for about $7 each and had them sewn in for about $15 professionally.

Cheaper and more secure. Sewed the last few in myself and it was really easy. BPWD has a great how to video on YouTube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will check that out for sure. How much do your homemade SJ add weight wise?

Sorry Man been gone all weekend.

Last one I made weighed in at 1.6 OZ all said and done. Measures 12”x12” (overkill but I put a little extra for sparks). I have Velcro on 3 sides and a cover flap sewn to the top which is seam sealed so that added a little too

Guess I never gave the recipe:

I use a piece of bondo fibreglass from the auto body section or a chunk of welding blanket ( welding blanket works way better) cut to size

Mix some high heat silicon and mineral spirits which I roll on using a foam paint roller. I like to impregnate both sides.

A couple tips,

- do the silicon over wax paper
- tape the edges of the fibreglass to stop fray
- don’t do the silicon indoors unless you love the smell of vinegar

Back