KUIU new shipment next month

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Called in to KUIU cust service today. Wanted to see when I would get my guide jacket if I purchased it today. She said they'll get a shipment in next month. Depending on size and camo pattern should get orders filled by middle of next month. Spent a pretty penny for the jacket and gaiters, plan on using it for high country CO muzzy hunt this year and hunts here in AK. Hopefully I'm not disappointed with this. Never spent this kind of $ on a jacket, let alone the gaiters. Anyways guys thought I'd let you know about this.

coachjdub

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, good to know as I am waiting to see if they get their gaiters back in Major Brown. Hopefully their updated inventory will have some solids in it.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks, good to know as I am waiting to see if they get their gaiters back in Major Brown. Hopefully their updated inventory will have some solids in it.
According to their live q&a yesterday it sounds like solids are coming back. There is a new "bison" brown color available in the snap shirt. Hard to tell from the web photo but it looks a touch brighter than major brown.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the update. I can pretty much guarantee you'll like the gaiters. They are sweet. They are far better than the kenetrek ones and they are still (in my opinion) better than the First Lite ones. A note about the Guide Jacket. It is not an insulation jacket. I really like that jacket, but if you're looking for warmth, look at the kenai jacket. The guide jacket is a great outer piece, as its tough and blocks wind/water well, but it's just not that warm.

Good Luck!

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'm going to have to experiment with layering when I get the jacket. Can get a down jacket for around $90 from REI or maybe some wool/syn options.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm going to have to experiment with layering when I get the jacket. Can get a down jacket for around $90 from REI or maybe some wool/syn options.
My experience with layering under the guide. It's an athletic cut, tappered sleeves. If not using kuiu insulation under it I found Eddie Bauer down jackets are sized and cut very similar. The rei house brand not so much. Sitka kelvin lite was similar as well.

Davebuech

WKR
Yep, lightweight puffy underneath and it gets warm! If it's not a smooth fabric though it is difficult to put on and off being the jacket is lined with a fleecy material.

My experience with layering under the guide. It's an athletic cut, tappered sleeves. If not using kuiu insulation under it I found Eddie Bauer down jackets are sized and cut very similar. The rei house brand not so much. Sitka kelvin lite was similar as well.

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Quick question. How compressible/compact is the Teton or kenai insulated jackets. The down jacket is really expensive.

Quick question. How compressible/compact is the Teton or kenai insulated jackets. The down jacket is really expensive.
I don't have any experience with the Teton, but I do own a non-hooded Kenai and it does not compress down very well. At least when comparing it to the super down jackets, or even the old Spindrift jacket.

ericF

WKR
Thats the tradeoff with the down versus synthetic insulation. The down jacket will compress really well, but you will have to spend more money. The synthetic doesn't compress as much, but it is cheaper and breathes better when on the move. With a puffy and the Guide jacket, you should be pretty warm.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my teton and the active version both size medium in 1 gallon ziplok. A compression sack would get it a bit smaller. You can also stuff it into it's own sleeve.
0109516a0bc0e0a74423bde07272d687.jpg

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Fng4life: just bought the Eddie Bauer micro therm stormdown jacket at online store. With discount it was $79 in a unique cano pattern to boot. Huge savings over the hunt branded down jackets!!! Thanks for the input.

Zoo Keeper

Lil-Rokslider
Fng4life: just bought the Eddie Bauer micro therm stormdown jacket at online store. With discount it was $79 in a unique cano pattern to boot. Huge savings over the hunt branded down jackets!!! Thanks for the input.

Dang, missed that. Currently on sale for $140. Did you use an additional code?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Still available Zoo. Go to clearance section look for the jacket. At checkout put in the promo code given. Will reduce price to $79

I have the Guide Jacket and I think it is a nice piece of gear. It has an athletic fit and is fairly stretchy and mobile. Takes thorns, blackberries, branches and thickets like a champ. The water resistance is pretty good as well. In Western WA, it pretty much always rains and is always wet but not super cold. I like to wear mine over a merino base for the normal marine climate days where the chill is just a little more than my LW Merino will take. It doesn't block wind very well however and doesn't provide a great deal of warmth. Last year I hunted Eastern WA where daytimes would be around 80 but chilly during the mornings and I found myself putting my LW merino, a heavyweight Merino, a fleece QZ and a fully Carhartt hoodie underneath just to keep normalized while glassing the ridge tops. Kind of goofy, really.

I have the full hooded zip and the vest. These are great values when on clearance. Mine were at similarly low prices. They are holding up to use too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Got my jacket and gaiters about a week after ordering. Really surprised to get email saying they shipped. Really stoked with the fit and how it conforms and stays while you move. My Eddie Bauer puffy fits great and saved a bunch. Bought a blackovis 190 merino 1/4 zip from camofire for $35. My only concern is the durability of the zipper on the guide jacket. Seems a little fragile for the abuse it's going to take. Any issues or heard of that being a problem?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No concerns for me with zippers on the guide. Another kuiu jacket has a loud zipper, gave me the impression that it was cheap or defective. A year later it hasn't failed.