Kuiu for bear

blacklab1

FNG
Most of my clothing is Kuiu with a few pieces of Sitka mixed in, everything layers nice and is warm and packable. In a few months I'm going to Canada for spring bear, that's going to be a combination of spot and stalk and stand hunting. I'm not worried about the spot and stalk part but I'm a little concerned about the stand hunting. My base layers are quiet enough but when I start to get to the outer layer's thing get noisy, especially my puffy jacket, it sounds like I'm opening a bag of chips every time I move. I was told that some of the shots from the stands can be inside 30 yards, so I'm not sure if my clothing is the right choice. If I don't have to, I really don't want to drop another 1K in clothing, but I also don't want to blow any opportunities due to noise. Anyone have any problems using their Kuiu? Especially the puffy stuff?

Could just buy a heavy wool coat that’s only used for stand hunting? Quiet, warm, not ungodly expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaleW

WKR
I agree with the above post you may need to find some sort of alternative for when you are in the stand. My super down pro isn't obnoxiously loud but I probably would use for stand hunting.

madcalfe

WKR
when and where in Canada are you going black bear hunting
I hunt white tails in my puffy with my Yukon rain jacket over it in November (-20*C)
black bears are nowheres near skiddish. I'm guessing your coming up around April
so temps shouldn't be to bad. you'd probably be ok with your puffy and a hoodie over it.

I wore a Shacket and it was perfect however, if the temps are cold enough, a lightweight sleeping bag has worked for many. When ya stand up it slips quietly to your knees.

OP
B

blacklab1

FNG
when and where in Canada are you going black bear hunting
I hunt white tails in my puffy with my Yukon rain jacket over it in November (-20*C)
black bears are nowheres near skiddish. I'm guessing your coming up around April
so temps shouldn't be to bad. you'd probably be ok with your puffy and a hoodie over it.
I'm not exactly sure where we'll be hunting, A friend made all the arrangements. I was told to be prepared for weather from 20*f to 65*f. We'll be there the 2nd week of May. Where's Bruce? mentioned a shacket in the next post, I acutely have one of those that isn't too bad to pack, I think I may use that over my puffy. I spend most of my life buried in a boiler room so 20* can get pretty cold to me pretty fast :(

OP
B

blacklab1

FNG
I wore a Shacket and it was perfect however, if the temps are cold enough, a lightweight sleeping bag has worked for many. When ya stand up it slips quietly to your knees.
That's a good idea, I have one that I kinda forgot about. It's not bad to pack and is fairly warm and fits over my puffy pretty nice.

Most of my clothing is Kuiu with a few pieces of Sitka mixed in, everything layers nice and is warm and packable. In a few months I'm going to Canada for spring bear, that's going to be a combination of spot and stalk and stand hunting. I'm not worried about the spot and stalk part but I'm a little concerned about the stand hunting. My base layers are quiet enough but when I start to get to the outer layer's thing get noisy, especially my puffy jacket, it sounds like I'm opening a bag of chips every time I move. I was told that some of the shots from the stands can be inside 30 yards, so I'm not sure if my clothing is the right choice. If I don't have to, I really don't want to drop another 1K in clothing, but I also don't want to blow any opportunities due to noise. Anyone have any problems using their Kuiu? Especially the puffy stuff?
My puffy is loud and I tend to use mainly for glassing