Kuiu DCS Guide top and Attack bottom: a simple review

Tried the Under Armour ridge reaper late season matching set, and let me say I was more than disappointed. The material and fit are both way off for hunting needs during mountain hunting, which is too bad because the pattern is outstanding.

So

I tried a matching set of Kuiu. Guide DCS top and Attack bottom, both in Verde 2.0. The fit, material, and pattern are all outstanding. I have heard folks say they are not as good as Sitka, and I would say that may not be the case. They are comparable. I have tried the gear as recently as last weekend, with temps diving below the teens, in 14 inches of snow, 7k feet, looking for dusky grouse on snowshoes- with proper layering, I did not sweat or get cold. The softshell repels water, the fit is comfortable and provides ample room for layering, thus allowing them to be used in all seasons, all while remaining what could be considered a tailored fit.

If you are looking for a good set of mountain hunting gear, give Kuiu another look. I am now a believer. Yeah, they are expensive, but you invest in what you love (hunting), right?

Questions, thoughts?

Edit:

I will elaborate further on my purchase, sizing, and thoughts on the products.

Cost- similar to cheaper than Sitka, FL, and UA. Will cost more than typical Cabela's gear and others similar to Cabela's

Sizing- this is the big hiccup for the newer camo. They are starting to make this new stuff with more of the athletic hunter in mind. Their target consumer audience appears to be people who are fit, proportional, and have a dislike for bulkiness. That is to say, you will not find Kuiu to be loose, or even "looser than others" in fit. Simply put, if your BMI (body mass index) keys you out to being overweight or obese, UNLESS your BMI is attributed to muscle mass not fat, then Kuiu may be too snug for you. Sizing for Kuiu will run true to measurements. That is, if you hit it with a tape measure, the measurements will come out to what is advertised. If you typically wear a 34 inseam, buy the 34 inseam in Kuiu.

Layering- This is where most folks get snagged up with sizing when purchasing camo. They buy a garment meant as an outer layer and try to get items that are true to measurements for their body size. For instance, I wear large shirts, hoodies, t-shirts, button downs, etc., but I found the large Kuiu DCS Guide jacket too small for my needs. Sure, with just a t-shirt under it, it fit great. But, when I tried to layer properly, I was needing more room. This is because they are making these products true to size. This is great because you will not have to guess what a large will actually be when you get it. The measurements on there website are correct. Layering will essentially make your "actual sizing" different. A skin-only 44" chest measurement, when layered, may become a 46", thus you will need a 46" outer layer, if that is how you intend to use the product. the same can be applied to waist measurements. Measure your outer layer garment needs with what you plan on wearing as a base layer or insulator on your body. This is what helped me in getting the right fit for my Kuiu items.

Pattern- Having spent time oversees in two conflicts, I have seen what good patterns and bad patterns will look like and how to judge if they will be effective right out of the gate. The most common mistake in pattern design is making them too dark. Or trying to make a pattern that fits all situations. There is a give and take. Making a pattern that try to fits all situations reduces the overall effectiveness of the pattern as a whole. This is in my humble onion, the major drawback of Sitka. When I was in country, we could always pick out the Army guys in the field because they used a pattern (the old gravel color digi) that tried to do too much. They stuck out when they moved. Same with Sitka. Whenever I am out elk hunting in an area with loads of pressure, I have always been able to spot people in the field wearing Sitka when I hunt in wooded areas. The only plus side, IMHO, is that you only need to purchase one set of camo. This is great for me because I am too cheap to buy $2k worth of camo to match all hunts. I AM NOT SAYING Sitka is bad or makes bad gear or patterns, so do not even go there. I AM NOT DOGGING the Army- I love my infantry brethren, so do not go there. Back to Kuiu. I think the verde pattern they make is pretty solid. It has light tones and dark tones. It matches well in sagebrush, in coniferous forests, and in the alpine. Sure, it is better suited for certain vegetation types, but it overall does a good job for most of my hunting needs. Would I take it for coues deer in Arizona? Probably not. Like all patterns, it has its limitations.

Quality- when it shows up to your door, you can tell the stuff is of high quality. These days, cost and quality can be considered directly proportional, to a degree- there is always exceptions. Like any other gear, it will wear out over time. If you continually put clothing items worn outside of your body to heavy use, it will wear out. Period. If you wash a softshell with regular detergent, it will no longer function as a water repelling layer. If you do not sometimes treat your softshell with an appropriate water-repelling product but you still use the proper cleaners and not regular detergent, its water-repelling properties will still become diminished. Gear care is key. Do not be lazy and expect it to function as advertised when you do not care for it as recommended.

Care- follow the manufacture's instructions. You never wash a softshell, or any fabric that repels water, with regular detergent. Nikwax, folks.

Guys, these are my opinions. Please do not turn this into a gear feud. I like Kuiu, others may not, and that is ok!

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
I agree 100%. I'll take KUIU over Shitka or First Lite any day of the week. Never heard anyone say it's not on the same level as others but if there is a more advanced and effective line of clothing out there for extreme conditions...I have yet to find it.

For what they charge, their stuff is hands down the best.

Not to mention, the pieces fit like mountain hunting gear should fit. Nothing is cut like a box like some other brands that may or may not have been named above ;)

And yes I've run Sitka and First Lite to compare it against.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I own both pieces of clothing you mention and agree 100%. In fact, after I got back from my first trip with the Attack pants, I jumped online and bought another pair.

I also use Sitka, First Lite, Kryptek, and Patagonia. There is no "ultimate" clothing company and nobody makes the best of every piece of gear. As much as I like my Kuiu, I'm not impressed with the stretch and softness of their wool base layers. I like to wear FL bases much more. Every company will have hits and misses.

OP
D
I am new to the forums, but have been hunting and recreating my whole life. I have been seeing much talk on this site regarding brand feuds between Kuiu, Kifaru, Sitka, etc. I think they all make good stuff. Short of the occasional manufacturing defect, all of the products you can get from manufacturers now are pretty good-to-go. It is more of finding what works for you, and not being afraid to try new stuff. What did not work for me, the Under Armour, may be a favorite of the next guy. that is totally fine!

Bottom line:

Us as hunters need to be constantly reevaluating our gear, our tactics and ourselves.

excaliber

WKR
I think it's pretty funny how people are brand loyal and bash other companies.

I've had experience with Sitka and Kuiu and First Lite.
I like the First Lite merino best but I'm one of those that is a bit itchy with Merino wool so I use synthetic base layers. Kuiu makes the worst merino I've tried and all of my friends seem to agree. They all like First Lite best. I tried them all and they all make me itch. Ice breaker Merino was the itchiest to me.

I think Sitka makes the best jackets as they seem to have one for all applications. I don't need a Puffy for my style of hunting.
I tried the Kuiu DCS Guide jacket and it didn't stay here long. I'm not sure what it's designed for but it didn't block the wind very well, it's too hot to hike in and not warm enough to sit in.

I think the Sitka Mountain pants are the best I've ever worn. They are not as form fitting as the Attack pant but so much more comfortable. They just feel perfect.
I can wear these from early archery to late season with the right base layers. I use my attack pants for fishing.

I wear cheap synthetic base layers I got from STP that have worked just as well as my Sitka base layers or my Peloton or Teton LS crews.

I like the Kings Camo poly long sleeve Tees and use a Sitka Traverse 1/4 zip tee. I also use my Cabelas Microtex button up shirt as a wind layer or when another layer is needed.

I use a Russel XPG L4 gale jacket and a Cabelas space rain packable jacket if needed.

Kryptek doesn't do anything for me but others like it.

I use what works best for me and I don't care who makes it. I just laugh when people say Sitka sucks or they hate Kuiu for other reasons.

As far as camo goes the only one pattern that really breaks up the human outline is Predator. There's not one pattern that hides while moving like predator. It's too bad someone doesn't license the pattern and use that. I don't like the Kuiu patterns at all. Predator Fall brown is incredible.

I do like my Predator Fall brown jacket made by Gray Wolf Wollens but it's too heavy for my liking.
Use what works the best for you.

Last edited:
OP
D
Thanks for the reply! Let's discuss further

"I think Sitka makes the best jackets as they seem to have one for all applications. I don't need a Puffy for my style of hunting.
I tried the Kuiu DCS Guide jacket and it didn't stay here long. I'm not sure what it's designed for but it didn't block the wind very well, it's too hot to hike in and not warm enough to sit in."

Yes, if you are doing serious hiking just trying to get to a spot and not hunting, it will be almost impossible to find an outer that will not warm you up. There are lots of factors that go into this as well, temperature, solar radiation, wind, moisture. Amount of work output- energy expenditure and rate of work, thus body heat generated. Layering, socks bottoms, boots. Terrain, aspect, slope, pitch, elevation. I would wonder a guess that if a guy were to do a test with all of these variables constant and only changed outer layers, he would still find similar results IF he was comparing softshell v softshell, etc. It basically goes back to outfitting yourself for the task at hand. When I hike to my spots, I dress light because I know my body heat will keep me warm. When I glass, I dress for warmth. If I am hunting, I want a mix between the two. IMHO there is no catch-all for clothing, just as a craftsman has a chest of tools, each with its own specific job

"As far as camo goes the only one pattern that really breaks up the human outline is Predator. There's not one pattern that hides while moving like predator. It's too bad someone doesn't license the pattern and use that. I don't like the Kuiu patterns at all. Predator Fall brown is incredible.

I do like my Predator Fall brown jacket made by Gray Wolf Wollens but it's too heavy for my liking."

They indeed make great patterns, but I return to my previous point. Predator makes I believe 6 (number at that point does not matter, I could be off by one) patterns to choose from. Each with a specific vegetation type in mind. This is great if you only hunt in one type, so you only need to buy one set. but when you start talking the differences in hunting in the western states where you need a pattern that fits the unique hues and tones of sagebrush flats, alpine steppes, dense timber, deciduous river bottoms, prairie grassland, all for both fall and winter. A guy would need all sets Predator makes. Good gear needs to be practical, as pragmatism trumps idealism when "the rubber hits the road"

Interesting perspective on the base layers though. It just goes to show fellas that sometimes the cheap stuff can function just as good as the expensive counterparts. Which leads me back to the pragmatic approach to hunting and gear!

Good chat!

TubbsTru

WKR
Listen to one person, you become a clone. Listen to two, and you become confused. Listen to many, you become wise.

This applies to many areas of life, including hunting gear.

That said, I like Kuiu for outerwear. I do not care for their merino. The old stuff was okay- 100 percent merino. Their blend stuff not so much. First Lite and Ibex merino for me. And for Wisconsin Whitetail- yes- Gray Wolf Woolens in Predator Fall Gray! I seriously do not get busted in it.

OP
D
"Listen to one person, you become a clone. Listen to two, and you become confused. Listen to many, you become wise."

That is gold, my friend! Where did you first hear that saying?

TubbsTru

WKR
"Listen to one person, you become a clone. Listen to two, and you become confused. Listen to many, you become wise."

That is gold, my friend! Where did you first hear that saying?

A guy by the name of D.A. Carson if I remember correctly. Preacher guy. For what it's worth.