Kuiu axis hybrid

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
For the folks that have the axis hybrid, are the sleeves tight? Too tight to wear a puffer under it? I'm looking for a different outer layer to wear over my puffer (most likely over the sitka Fahrenheit puffer), but some of the reviews make it sound like the sleeves are too tight to wear much under it.

Would this be the same for the guide all season jacket?

Thanks

I had to return my XL for a XXL to comfortably get the puffy underneath. I really like the jacket otherwise. The pit zips are what sold me on it versus the guide jacket

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
Same as Ranger. For reference I’m 6-1 and 200#. Believe suit is size 44 reg. I really like the Kuiu jacket and agree on the pit zips.

OP
J

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feed back. I wear large in everything except sitka and Kuiu, always have to size up

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I have both the Axis and the Guide...each has their pros/cons. That said, I prefer the Axis...the waterproof panels and the collar are the winners for me...the Axis collar zips up higher and more comfortably than the Guide (for me), allowing me to tuck my chin down inside when in heavy wind.

In regards to your question for sleeve spacing to allow for a puffy beneath, I'd say the sleeves are too tight for the Axis (and the Guide) to wear a puffy beneath. I wear my puffy over the Axis as needed...I wear other layers beneath my Axis. The puffy typically comes out when I get back to camp after dark and start cooking dinner outside my tent. If it's raining...nope on the puffy...the Axis works great under my rain coat.

I'm also a size L, but my Axis (and Guide) are XL and that is a great fit for me (5'10, 185).

I am a big fan of my axis. For reference, I am 6’3” 250#. I have to size up everything for kuiu. XXL—> XXXL. I wore mine with a base peleton 97 and a sitka ambient under it. It was fine. There isn’t a lot of room for much more underneath in terms of layers IMO But that is partly due to my build.

OP
J

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly the info I was looking for on the fit/sleeves.
I will just keep looking for different outer layer.

Thank you

JRS3

FNG
Same as Ranger. For reference I’m 6-1 and 200#. Believe suit is size 44 reg. I really like the Kuiu jacket and agree on the pit zips.
I’m the same…..I wear L in Kuiu Shirts and XL in Jackets and Outterwear…..The XL Axis Hybrid is comfortably snug with a XL Down Ultra Jacket underneath it. I get what you guys are saying about the tightness in the forearms. It’s there but ok, but wouldn’t want it anymore.I feel a bit more tightness in the chest area but again it’s ok. If I gained another 10#, I would go with the XXL Axis or if I planned to really bulk up underneath but the Axis is definitely athletic cut. On the short-er length side too.

I have both the Axis and the Guide...each has their pros/cons. That said, I prefer the Axis...the waterproof panels and the collar are the winners for me...the Axis collar zips up higher and more comfortably than the Guide (for me), allowing me to tuck my chin down inside when in heavy wind.

In regards to your question for sleeve spacing to allow for a puffy beneath, I'd say the sleeves are too tight for the Axis (and the Guide) to wear a puffy beneath. I wear my puffy over the Axis as needed...I wear other layers beneath my Axis. The puffy typically comes out when I get back to camp after dark and start cooking dinner outside my tent. If it's raining...nope on the puffy...the Axis works great under my rain coat.

I'm also a size L, but my Axis (and Guide) are XL and that is a great fit for me (5'10, 185).
@AKDoc: Would you mind throwing me some insight into my layering system? I'm looking at buying the Guide or Axis hybrid, but want to make sure that they're not going to be too cold. I'm going to be in the Southern Brooks Range mid-late September and expecting temps anywhere from 0 to 60, and rain/snow/sunshine/heavy winds (pretty much the whole kitchen sink of weather). I'm planning on running a merino base, Swazi "The Hood", then either the Guide or the Axis Hybrid. I have a Eddie Bauer puffy to throw on over all of that if needed (or around camp). I'll also have some rain gear to go over the top of it all. TIA for any insight/tips!

@AKDoc: Would you mind throwing me some insight into my layering system? I'm looking at buying the Guide or Axis hybrid, but want to make sure that they're not going to be too cold. I'm going to be in the Southern Brooks Range mid-late September and expecting temps anywhere from 0 to 60, and rain/snow/sunshine/heavy winds (pretty much the whole kitchen sink of weather). I'm planning on running a merino base, Swazi "The Hood", then either the Guide or the Axis Hybrid. I have an Eddie Bauer puffy to throw on over all of that if needed (or around camp). I'll also have some rain gear to go over the top of it all. TIA for any insight/tips!
Fan of the axis. I wore mine in snow with temps 5-25* last year with a base peleton 97 and a sitka ambient under it. I wore a down puffy over it when not moving. It is on the warmer and less breathable end of the soft shell spectrum IMO But it is not heavily insulated. It needs a good midlayer in cold, cold weather and I think it could get swampy in the 50-60 degree range, but you could manage with venting and stripping your mid layer. I was also impressed by the pants.

My guide DCS jacket is older (2016 or 2017?) and TBH I never loved it. It is boxy and not great at blocking wind. Used it a bit for hunting but found I favored the jetstream more. It now rides in my truck as a I forgot a jacket, quick grab option. It hasn’t seen much use and it seems like parts of it are delaminating or otherwise coming apart, like the glued seams. In fairness, it Lives in a truck that can get kind of hot so that might be what is causing it to fall apart. Overall I would say it is in worse shape than my jetstream which is the same vintage and has probably seen 3-4x the number of hunting days. I couldn’t tell you if the newer versions are better or worse but I doubt I would spend the money to find out.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
@AKDoc: Would you mind throwing me some insight into my layering system? I'm looking at buying the Guide or Axis hybrid, but want to make sure that they're not going to be too cold. I'm going to be in the Southern Brooks Range mid-late September and expecting temps anywhere from 0 to 60, and rain/snow/sunshine/heavy winds (pretty much the whole kitchen sink of weather). I'm planning on running a merino base, Swazi "The Hood", then either the Guide or the Axis Hybrid. I have a Eddie Bauer puffy to throw on over all of that if needed (or around camp). I'll also have some rain gear to go over the top of it all. TIA for any insight/tips!
I think you're going in the right direction with the list you shared. Not sure if you're humping everything on your back every day or setting-up camp at a drop-off point and then day-hiking from there each day. I'm going to assume the latter...

Personally, I'd do the Axis jacket as opposed to the guide...the extra water protection panels are pretty helpful, and I think it's more wind resistant and layers better than the Guide, especially around the neck. I also think it packs a bit more friendly than the guide. I'm 5'10", 185lbs, and always between a L or XL with KUIU jackets. I went with an XL with the Axis and it's a perfect fit for me. BTW, the Axis pants are terrific as well, and they have become pretty much all I wear now each fall...water-proof butt and knee panels, and the hip-vent zippers are all really helpful to have.

For layers, I'm always wearing lite merino tops/bottoms, which I also sleep in every night. I also have a set that's a bit heavier, but I seldom wear them. I have a first generation Kenai jacket and a first generation Chinook jacket...I wear either one of them over my base top, depending on wx and what the plan is. They no longer make those jackets, and the first generation Kenai jacket was pretty different in design and fit. For clarity, the Chinook jacket is lighter and has some lite matrix insulation on the inside...the Kenai has more insulation. Both those jackets have pit-zips. The Axis jacket over either one of those has always worked very well for me. I have the KUIU down puffy hooded jacket (and pants) that I can put on over all that if needed...typically when eating dinner in the dark! BTW...putting your Mountain House or Peak refuel meal between layers of your jackets is a pretty nice thing while it's "cooking" in the pouch (just be sure you sealed it well and relax/don't move around while it's cooking...learned that the hard way!)

Think about maybe adding a vest to your list...something lite and packable...I typically have one with me, but not always used.

Make sure your rain gear is truly good at doing its job...you might be living in them, as well as a final defense in heavy and cold wind.

Always glad to help...

I think you're going in the right direction with the list you shared. Not sure if you're humping everything on your back every day or setting-up camp at a drop-off point and then day-hiking from there each day. I'm going to assume the latter...

Always glad to help...
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! We are doing a fly-in DIY. So, dropped at a base camp, then hiking out from there every day.

Great tip on the MH body warmers! LOL.

Rain gear: I'm going with HH Impertech pants. Figured that the little extra weight would be worth it for sitting on wet ground and a bit tougher so that I don't experience any rips. Not sure which route I'll go on the rain jacket yet... it'll probably be Kuiu, but in their lighter options. I typically run warm, so I think I'll only need it to stop rain and wind. Extra insulation not so much.