Kryptek Vellus jacket… “waterproof”

Anybody have any first hand experience with waterproof claim that Kryptek makes on the Vellus?

Do you think it would be too warm for early sept in SW Alaska? Base camp with low exertion outside of hopefully meat hauling.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Very warm. I’ve not been to Alaska and do flint know how you hunt. I can’t spot and stalk in it. I can only use it for sedentary and cold conditions.

Bucsfan69

FNG
Agree with everything Stingray said. The fleece does saturate, but I’ve stayed dry in a light rain and in snow showers. Mid 40s is very comfortable. Low exertion maybe, meat hauling will definitely cause some sweat

OP
P
Agree with everything Stingray said. The fleece does saturate, but I’ve stayed dry in a light rain and in snow showers. Mid 40s is very comfortable. Low exertion maybe, meat hauling will definitely cause some sweat
Once fleece saturates you are still dry from water coming in from outside though, right?

I guess breathability stops once fleece is wet. Might as well switch over to rain coat before that happens, huh?

OP
P
I’ve had it seep a little after heavy saturation, mostly with accumulating snow, but I did stay dry and warm
Hmmm. Interesting. Was worried about that. Trying to figure out how to stay dry and warm while sedentary if we find ourselves glassing with no rain fly. I guess bust out the impertech and appropriate under layer(s) for temperature. Or I guess cough up the stupid money for a higher end “waterproof, breathable” jacket. Sitka, kuiu, etc.

OP
P
Exactly, stupid money…. With all that said, would I buy the Vellus again? ( I do have the jacket , pants, and gloves). A resounding YES
I bought a pair of the Cestus Gloves. Not as low profile as the Vellus, but I don’t see myself wearing gloves at all while active. Figured while sitting if I need gloves I’d go just a little beefier.

Also have some liners and flip open mitts that will likely do more use in most conditions.

Exactly, stupid money…. With all that said, would I buy the Vellus again? ( I do have the jacket , pants, and gloves). A resounding YES
Hey man, curious on how the fit was with the pants? I have the jacket and like it alot and want to buy the pants. We're they pretty true to size? Or run small? Thanks !

Titan_Bow

WKR
I’ve had the Vellus set for about 3 or 4 years now. I don’t live or hunt in a wet environment, but I would think that once the fleece gets saturated, even if you stayed dry, it would likely be miserable just from the added weight. I have worn them in some light periodic rain and in snow. I love the Vellus for whitetail hunting in Eastern Colorado and Nebraska. I typically carry it in my pack though and slip it on when I set up or if I am sitting somewhere glassing or calling. I also wear it later in December and January for rabbit hunting in Colorado, usually in really cold and snowy conditions. For me, this is where this set really shines. I don’t think it would be my choice for Alaska though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erle1139

FNG
I have a Kryptek Vellus and its been 100% waterproof for me in moderate rain, blowing snow, and accumulating snow. I've worn it in the snow on October mountain elk hunts and December/January Kansas upland bird hunts with no issues. I like it has zippers in the arm pits, I've had to use a couple times when climbing the mountains to get some air circulating.