Kodiak timing - September?

Hey everyone, I’ve hunted Kodiak in august up In the alpine and down low late in November. This year I’m thinking of going in mid September (10ish-20ish). Talked with our pilot and sounds like they can still go where ever that time of year normally and we are planning on going to an alpine lake. Our primary goal is goats but I’m wondering what the deer situation is like in the alpine still that time of year. Are they still up there or moved down into the brush? Would love to still chase deer too and we saw them all over mid august. Just wondering if it’s still like that in September. Thanks In advance!

OP
Grant Kopplin
Haha yes, I can walk. And yes, I’ll be rifle hunting.

I guess my main question is if they are still concentrated above brush line in September, like they are in august. or if by that Time of year they’ve started making their way down.

WILLMCC

FNG
I have had vey good luck in early September (been there 4 times) they are still in the higher elevations at that time of year and the weather is still pretty solid. Maybe frost in the am and warm during the day. My best advise is to glass up a shooter then go after him. Don't believe the size rumors. The blacktails on Kodiak are very nice size deer, they will surprise you body wise.

OP
Grant Kopplin
I have had vey good luck in early September (been there 4 times) they are still in the higher elevations at that time of year and the weather is still pretty solid. Maybe frost in the am and warm during the day. My best advise is to glass up a shooter then go after him. Don't believe the size rumors. The blacktails on Kodiak are very nice size deer, they will surprise you body wise.
Thanks for the reply! Good to know. Turns out I’m going back out during November this season but maybe next year I’ll get down there earlier. Thanks again

SSawyer

FNG
Hey everyone, I’ve hunted Kodiak in august up In the alpine and down low late in November. This year I’m thinking of going in mid September (10ish-20ish). Talked with our pilot and sounds like they can still go where ever that time of year normally and we are planning on going to an alpine lake. Our primary goal is goats but I’m wondering what the deer situation is like in the alpine still that time of year. Are they still up there or moved down into the brush? Would love to still chase deer too and we saw them all over mid august. Just wondering if it’s still like that in September. Thanks In advance!
I've hunted in late November....curious which month you have preferred so far and why....

bowuntr

WKR
I've been 6 times... September is my favorite. Good weather, deer are still up high, hard horned, vegitation is laying down, everyone is hunting something else... I go in September when I don't have an elk tag. Ed F

OP
Grant Kopplin
I've hunted in late November....curious which month you have preferred so far and why....
August vs November, I prefer November. August there was a lot of activity and it was cool being in the alpine, but the brush was still green and not laid over at all and the bugs were bad. Meat care was harder.
I prefer the cold weather in November and hunting the rut.