Knife Sharpener

I know most of you carry a Havalon, as do I... However, sometimes they are not enough and you need something a bit tougher.

Do any of you carry a knife sharpener along? If so, which one is it? I am looking for something that you can just toss into a pack or kill kit and be set without worry about the weight.

I have used a klawhorn in the past, seemed to do the trick, but with all the moves I have been apart of the past few years I haven't been able to find it!

I use one of them little lightweight yellow knife sharpeners with the sharpening rods in the "X" shape on top and bottom. One side is fine, other is coarse. Last year when I killed my bull I only had 2 extra havalon blades and a folding knife that I got for being in my sister's wedding that had about a 3" blade on it. Thank God I had that knife sharpener and knife as I used it for 80%+ of the skinning/quartering and that knife sharpener worked AWESOME. Probably weighs about an ounce or so... can't remember the name I just picked it up at the front counter of some sporting goods store.

Mike

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before I carried a havalon, I carried an ez-lap for a sharpener.

http://eze-lap.com/hunting_fishing_outdoor_use/pocket-sharpeners/

Last edited:

mtmiller

WKR
I use the same one as HellsCanyon. Light and works well.

knife_sharpener_yellow_2.jpg

2rocky

WKR
I'm a sucker for a compact steel. A few swipes as you are catching your breath between position changes kinda helps you think, and never lets that edge get beyond repair.
This is one google found.
View attachment 6616

Wrongside

WKR
Most of my user knives are convex edged, so I just carry a little scrap of leather with lapping compound on it. Works like a charm!

I don't wear a leather belt, but some who do just 'charge' a spot on the inside of their belt for sharpening/stropping.