Knife Help

JStol5

WKR
Looking at three knives, want to pick up a fixed blade to have along my outdoor edge replaceable. Would love to hear thoughts from users.

Argali Serac
Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner
Benchmade Hidden Canyon Hunter

Leaning Serac or Saddle Mountain as I think the Hidden Canyon may be a touch short.

Want a knife for skinning/breaking down animals but also something that can handle camp chores/general use. Weight isn't a huge concern of mine. I've heard the negative things about Benchmade's sheaths and I would probably buy an aftermarket one.

Thanks.

Last edited:

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a Benchmade fan. I don’t think you can really go wrong with them. Had several of their knives for years and never had an issue with a single one. But then again, I’ve never had an Argali and I’m sure they’re great knives too.

wildcat33

WKR
Benchmades are nice if you can get a good deal on one. For retail, the value is not good. i would rather have a bose drop point or similar made by rocky menefee.

OP
J

JStol5

WKR
Benchmades are nice if you can get a good deal on one. For retail, the value is not good. i would rather have a bose drop point or similar made by rocky menefee.
I can get an S90V saddle mountain for about $110.

Drenalin

WKR
I like the Argali Serac a lot, but haven't used either of those Benchmades. A lot more rare on the used/reduced price market though.

wildcat33

WKR
I can get an S90V saddle mountain for about $110.

That sounds like a good deal. Its a nice knife, my hunting buddy has one. But its a large blade, even for quartering an elk. I'd prefer the hidden canyon for general skinning and breaking down, then the replaceable blade knife for fileting out the backstraps and tenders. Big vs small all comes down to preference. A lot of the custom knifemakers seem to like a shorter blade. I like a 3.5in - 4in blade that is thin stock, no more than 1/8" thick, 3/32" even better. That gives enough length to get behind a big backstrap or a back quarter joint.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Helle fan, have a fixed blade and a folder. I've been using the fixed for 40 plus years, it's not made anymore. They make some nice knives.

sndmn11

WKR
If you have a Benchmade deal, I'd get the Raghorn. Cruwear is outstanding in durability and holds an edge better than most steel.

Otherwise, the s90v saddle mountain is a good choice. You just need to use it to slice like a knife, and not act like a prybar. I'd be tempted to get a flyway to pair with it if I got the deals.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I like mine okay. Between the balance (at the first handle screw) and the jimping behind the point, it’s a pretty agile knife for its size.

Note mine may be an older model, in s30v. The belly is substantial enough that there’s a slight recurve. Good for its intended purpose but not my first pick for a general use camp knife.
556E1116-6E73-467C-88B0-82DB8BEA65C2.jpeg

repins05

WKR
I have the Saddle Mountain Skinner and the Hidden Canyon. I actually purchased a second Saddle Mountain Skinner because I was so happy with the first. Both are at Benchmade getting sharpened right now. One of the best hunting knifes I have owned. Balanced and sharpens easily. The Hidden Canyon is a bit short. Solid knife but I prefer the longer blade.

TEWONG

FNG
FYI - Benchmade Hidden Canyon (S90V) are on sale at REI for $160...

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Montana Knife Company Blackfoot 2.0. The last knife you’ll ever need. It’ll process anything in the Blackfoot valley in Montana. Pretty much covers any animal in North America. Made for hunters by hunters.