Knee surgery (can I be ready by September)

madgvr4

FNG
Going on first Elk hunt in Idaho September 19th, was training hard and doing really well ended up losing almost 40 lbs (didn’t even know I had that much excess weight.) Well I was feeling strong and decided to do some squats with to much weight kinda made knee sore and then did the morph workout on Memorial Day. I tore meniscus and had surgery on July 8th, I am walking okay still gets sore, what are the chances of getting knee strong enough for the hunt??? Anyone have good suggestions of exercise to get knee ready for Idaho?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
It really depends on you and the extent of the repair. Talk to your surgeon and physical therapist. Tell them you want to be sure you don't make things worse, but as long as it is done safely, you are willing to bull through any amount of pain.

Listen to what they say, and ask why and for detailed explanations. Unfortunately, depending on a lot of factors, you may not get great answers, but that is the place to start as injuries and the method of repair vary and those are the two individuals who will know the most about your specific case.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Definitely talk to your surgeon, it might have been extensive or minor. We don't know. But ya, normally a scoped simple meniscus repair won't take two months to be good to go.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
As noted all contingent on your damage and required repair..good luck but don’t rush it

bradb

WKR
If pt said so what you want I would bet a trim. But find out for sure. My last trim on meniscus pt had me run steps skipping 1step, in 6 days before follow up with surgeon.
Should be fine if a trim

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
In May '92 I had a knee surgery from a basketball injury.......had a torn patellar tendon and while the surgeon was in there he first cleaned up all my meniscus. He let me watch that part on the TV screen and then put me out for the tendon repair. I went on a horseback elk hunt that Oct and my goodness that was painful. Surgeon didn't know, nor would he have approved I'm sure. But it all worked out. Good luck on your hunt.

Everyone heals and recovers differently. I’ve known people who are climbing up and down ladders the next week after meniscus repair. For me, it took a month and a half to start hiking with no setbacks in PT or outside of training.

Listen to your body and be ok with slowing down…or give it all you got and the worse thing that can happen is a ligament tear because the muscles around your injured knee won’t be functioning properly due to the injury/trauma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also depends on how old you are and how quickly you heal. I've had the same knee scoped 3x. The first when I was 18 years old, recovery was about 48 hours. The last was when I was about 40. Took me 30 days just to be able to walk right again. That was in April of that year and I was in Alaska in September (see profile pic). Everything worked out fine for me. Best of luck to you.

OP
madgvr4

madgvr4

FNG
Also depends on how old you are and how quickly you heal. I've had the same knee scoped 3x. The first when I was 18 years old, recovery was about 48 hours. The last was when I was about 40. Took me 30 days just to be able to walk right again. That was in April of that year and I was in Alaska in September (see profile pic). Everything worked out fine for me. Best of luck to you.
Surgery was June 28th and I feel as if I’m doing okay. Had a house/garage clean out day and got little over 17,000 steps in. Zero elevation but it wasn’t hurting yesterday, so one month in and I’m going to start pushing to see what I can handle.

sndmn11

WKR
Surgery was June 28th and I feel as if I’m doing okay. Had a house/garage clean out day and got little over 17,000 steps in. Zero elevation but it wasn’t hurting yesterday, so one month in and I’m going to start pushing to see what I can handle.
Was it a partial meniscectomy or a repair?

If the procedure was minor and you are moving this well already, it sounds like you will be just fine.

WKR
Anyone have good suggestions of exercise to get knee ready for Idaho?
My meniscectomy was June 1. I've been doing a lot of box squats since.

I hold a dumbbell in the "goblet" position and do 3x10 at 50%, 75%, 100%. It's a good rehab protocol. I do it after 15 minutes treadmill walking and 15 minutes stationary bike. I do longer hikes on days off.

I'll get back to a barbell and lower reps next winter.

Physical therapy student here. This is not medical advice, just general guidance. A meniscectomy is generally only limited by the trauma of the procedure, meaning nothing actually has to heal or repair other than the surgical incisions themselves. Your PT is correct, do what you can without pushing to the point of pain or increased swelling. Around the 4-6 week mark most people have returned to sport. Ensure you have full range of motion (comparable to the other side) and comparable strength. If you have both of those things then you should be good to go! You will likely be just fine come season!

OP
madgvr4

madgvr4

FNG
Physical therapy student here. This is not medical advice, just general guidance. A meniscectomy is generally only limited by the trauma of the procedure, meaning nothing actually has to heal or repair other than the surgical incisions themselves. Your PT is correct, do what you can without pushing to the point of pain or increased swelling. Around the 4-6 week mark most people have returned to sport. Ensure you have full range of motion (comparable to the other side) and comparable strength. If you have both of those things then you should be good to go! You will likely be just fine come season!
thank you