Kimber Hunter opinions

robtattoo

WKR
I bought one in .257 just the standard Hunter.
To put it bluntly, it was the worst rifle I've ever owned. The magazine was incredibly picky on how it was loaded. 9 times out of 10, the 3rd round just flat out wouldn't fit & when you held yer mouth just right & got everything lined up just perfectly, so 3'd fit, it was impossible for the bolt to strip it out & load it. Kimber did send me another magazine, but it was exactly the same issue.

When I finally managed to shoot the thing, I could never get better than 2" 3 shot groups with any bullet weight, from 87 to 120gn. Average group was close to 3"
I tried 6 or 7 factory loads & literally every possible hand loaded combo I could discover. I reckon I shot 200+ rounds through it, trying to find 'the' load. I tried 3 different scopes, torqued mounts, rings & action screws, checked barrel float.... everything.

Trackselk

WKR
If you'll use the brake a lot, I would jump on it, but the hunters can be made 8+ ounces lighter in 30 minutes by removing the gel from the stock, although then the balance isn't going to be good with a full length gun, so offhand shots will be a lot tougher. Kind of depends what your priorities are, good shooting, or good carrying. I figure it just gets carried 99.999% of the time, so I go with light weight as #1. Then use a different rifle as a range gun, like a low recoil .223.

Trackselk

WKR
I bought one in .257 just the standard Hunter.
To put it bluntly, it was the worst rifle I've ever owned. The magazine was incredibly picky on how it was loaded. 9 times out of 10, the 3rd round just flat out wouldn't fit & when you held yer mouth just right & got everything lined up just perfectly, so 3'd fit, it was impossible for the bolt to strip it out & load it. Kimber did send me another magazine, but it was exactly the same issue.

When I finally managed to shoot the thing, I could never get better than 2" 3 shot groups with any bullet weight, from 87 to 120gn. Average group was close to 3"
I tried 6 or 7 factory loads & literally every possible hand loaded combo I could discover. I reckon I shot 200+ rounds through it, trying to find 'the' load. I tried 3 different scopes, torqued mounts, rings & action screws, checked barrel float.... everything.
I think some of these kimbers need 10 plus minutes between shots to get them to group. There are definitely consequences of such a light profile, but most shoot well. If you can sight it in by waiting 30 minutes between shots, and your cold bore shot is dead on, then it should work for hunting. Did you ever send that in to kimber? I send my hunter in, and they paid shipping both ways, didn't cost me a dime. They'll make it shoot 1" from my experience. This was just a few months ago, but don't modify a kimber until it shoots.

robtattoo

WKR
Nah. I don't have time for finicky rifles.
i sold out on (to a guy who knew its issues) Barrel weight shouldn't matter. It takes 600+° to alter the structure of most steels so heat literally makes no difference. 100 repeated shots in succession should only alter the internal diameter of a heat treated rifle barrel by around 0.000001" It makes no difference to accuracy.
I can shoot all my other guns until the barrel is too hot to touch (I have the burn scars to prove it) with absolutely no zero shift or difference in group size.

Waiting 10 minutes between shots is useless to me. If i need a second or third shot, I'm going to need it in seconds. If they don't shoot together, it's useless.

Trackselk

WKR
Nah. I don't have time for finicky rifles.
i sold out on (to a guy who knew its issues) Barrel weight shouldn't matter. It takes 600+° to alter the structure of most steels so heat literally makes no difference. 100 repeated shots in succession should only alter the internal diameter of a heat treated rifle barrel by around 0.000001" It makes no difference to accuracy.
I can shoot all my other guns until the barrel is too hot to touch (I have the burn scars to prove it) with absolutely no zero shift or difference in group size.

Waiting 10 minutes between shots is useless to me. If i need a second or third shot, I'm going to need it in seconds. If they don't shoot together, it's useless.
Makes sense. I've found my kimbers to be extremely finicky after 3 shots, and to print tight groups I let em cool. Definitely a rifle for those prioritizing weight in my opinion. Curious to hear other people's experiences regarding tight groups with consecutive shots, but I love my kimbers. I can also see where an imperfect mating of the stock on the hunter could cause serious issues where bedding the action might remedy the problem.

Makes sense. I've found my kimbers to be extremely finicky after 3 shots, and to print tight groups I let em cool. Definitely a rifle for those prioritizing weight in my opinion. Curious to hear other people's experiences regarding tight groups with consecutive shots, but I love my kimbers. I can also see where an imperfect mating of the stock on the hunter could cause serious issues where bedding the action might remedy the problem.
My .270 Hunter will shoot a nice 3 shot group giving a couple minutes between shots if I’m doing my part. Haven’t tried to shoot it any faster.

Trying to decide if I cut a few inches off and thread it for a suppressor which I should hopefully get in the next year (efile) or let it be and maybe sell it. Hate to cut an accurate rifle and ruin it.

Trackselk

WKR
My .270 Hunter will shoot a nice 3 shot group giving a couple minutes between shots if I’m doing my part. Haven’t tried to shoot it any faster.

Trying to decide if I cut a few inches off and thread it for a suppressor which I should hopefully get in the next year (efile) or let it be and maybe sell it. Hate to cut an accurate rifle and ruin it.
Shortening a barrel increases rigidity, so it might change the load it likes, but should make it more accurate.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a pile of Kimbers, several I’ve rebarrelled. The 84L is my least favorite model, due to it’s tight magbox and ejection port.

In my .280 AI, I couldn’t even reach the lands with a 120 grain bullet and still fit in the mag.

Both 84Ls I’ve had still shot fine, but I couldn’t take advantage of loading sleek bullets long at all.

Just something to keep in mind.

A 6mm-06 throated correctly would be a great match for that platform IMO. My hunting/shooting buddy has one in a .25-06 AI and shoots light weight Barnes in it. Very accurate and very fast.

That being said, the Montana is far and away my favorite platform to build on. The stocks are great and fit me perfect.

If you'll use the brake a lot, I would jump on it, but the hunters can be made 8+ ounces lighter in 30 minutes by removing the gel from the stock, although then the balance isn't going to be good with a full length gun, so offhand shots will be a lot tougher. Kind of depends what your priorities are, good shooting, or good carrying. I figure it just gets carried 99.999% of the time, so I go with light weight as #1. Then use a different rifle as a range gun, like a low recoil .223.
Trackselk, so you’re saying if I don’t use a brake a lot to just go with the Hunter? I actually have never shot anything with a brake so I wouldn’t know. I am assuming that the Montana shooting the 140ish grain wouldn’t really need a brake and the 160s plus probably would benefit from a brake. I have never shot a light weight rifle so the ultralight thing is all new to me .
I have also heard people say that the Montana stock is a much better stock … any thought there?
Does the Hunter Pro also have the gel in the stock? If I went hunter id probably go that route as it comes with a brake should one choose to use it.

Trackselk

WKR
Trackselk, so you’re saying if I don’t use a brake a lot to just go with the Hunter? I actually have never shot anything with a brake so I wouldn’t know. I am assuming that the Montana shooting the 140ish grain wouldn’t really need a brake and the 160s plus probably would benefit from a brake. I have never shot a light weight rifle so the ultralight thing is all new to me .
I have also heard people say that the Montana stock is a much better stock … any thought there?
Does the Hunter Pro also have the gel in the stock? If I went hunter id probably go that route as it comes with a brake should one choose to use it.
Well, the pro is probaby the best value in my opinion for sweet camo and threaded barrel, and yes, it has the 8oz of gel removal option if you decide to go lighter. My buddy just got one in 6.5CM, and it shoots excellent. I wish I had gone that route, but my paintjob is probably a little more grippy. Check out the 'how light can a hunter be' thread. I learned a lot there. https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/so-how-light-can-a-kimber-hunter-be-a-build-thread.201194/
*I should add that even 1 shot with a brake without ear pro will cause permanent hearing damage, so doesn't make sense to me for hunting. I shot my 5.5lb complete .308 ascent without a brake, not fun, but usually didn't bruise me when shooting animals lol
Stupid light stock: 17.1 ounces

Attachments

• 20230228_111929.jpg
    20230228_111929.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Glimmerman151

FNG
Classified Approved
Great information!

Would you all say that the Montana is worth the extra 500-700 over the Hunter or Hunter Pro? I believe the only difference being the stock? The Pro does have the threaded barrel and muzzle brake which may be nice on the 280 ackley that I would like to purchase.
I currently have the opportunity to purchase a used Montana in a 280 ackley for 1100 plus tax. Has around 140 rounds down it and comes with MBM mini brake and Talley scope rings. Shoot I purchase or go with the new Pro? Any thoughts?
Absolutely go the montana route, especially if it has that brake and rings, great choice of accessories for a reasonable amount of money.

Trackselk

WKR
Absolutely go the montana route, especially if it has that brake and rings, great choice of accessories for a reasonable amount of money.
Can't deny that is a really good deal on a Montana. I probably wouldn't be chasing ounces if I hadn't hurt my knee and back in the military...

Trackselk

WKR
@#publiclands
One more thing to consider. Not sure if kimber will offer their moa promise if you're not the original owner, and if the gun is modified they seem to insist on returning it to factory, and charge you for that. I would call them on Monday and see if they will fix accuracy problems if you're not the original owner. Otherwise if it has problems you may be paying to fix it. I know my gunsmith is charging me about $300 to install my new 22 creed barrel, that was $450 shipped from Lilja, so it can get expensive fast, when having kimber warranty makes it free. They even pay the shipping both ways!

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah the inability to use the heavier longer bullets due to the short mag box has me thinking twice about the Kimber chambered in the 280 Ackley.
Anyone else run into similar issues? What grain bullets is everyone shooting in their 280 Ackleys … I have heard people say that they can get the 168 grain to shoot really well. I am not sure if they have the issue with not being able to load the longer bullets all the way to the lands or not though. I am assuming that this could change the rifles ability to shoot MOA or at least the fine tuning to make it shoot to the barrels potential? Any thoughts?

Sled

WKR
@#publiclands
One more thing to consider. Not sure if kimber will offer their moa promise if you're not the original owner, and if the gun is modified they seem to insist on returning it to factory, and charge you for that. I would call them on Monday and see if they will fix accuracy problems if you're not the original owner. Otherwise if it has problems you may be paying to fix it. I know my gunsmith is charging me about $300 to install my new 22 creed barrel, that was $450 shipped from Lilja, so it can get expensive fast, when having kimber warranty makes it free. They even pay the shipping both ways!

True. My gunsmith wanted to send my pro back to the factory for warranty work (trigger/safety, feeding and worn throat on a new barrel...don't ask). It was cut down to 17" and Kimber would not even look at it until they put a new barrel on and I had to pay for it. Funny how none of those issues were barrel issues except the one where I may have got a factory fresh barrel with some throat erosion. A fix for it would be to replace the barrel on warranty. They would only do that after I purchased a factory new barrel and they installed it. They started talking in circles when I asked if they would repay me for the first barrel. Their guarantee isn't worth the "internet ink" it's published with.

Trackselk

WKR
True. My gunsmith wanted to send my pro back to the factory for warranty work (trigger/safety, feeding and worn throat on a new barrel...don't ask). It was cut down to 17" and Kimber would not even look at it until they put a new barrel on and I had to pay for it. Funny how none of those issues were barrel issues except the one where I may have got a factory fresh barrel with some throat erosion. A fix for it would be to replace the barrel on warranty. They would only do that after I purchased a factory new barrel and they installed it. They started talking in circles when I asked if they would repay me for the first barrel. Their guarantee isn't worth the "internet ink" it's published with.
Yikes, yeah, at last minute I realized I better shoot my hunter before I cut it. Surprised I thought of it in my rush to get the gun together for hunting season. I think had you not cut it, they wouldn't have weaseled out of it. Pretty lame regardless! What did they charge you for a new barrel installed, wrapped, shipped, polished, taxed etc?

Trackselk

WKR
Yeah the inability to use the heavier longer bullets due to the short mag box has me thinking twice about the Kimber chambered in the 280 Ackley.
Anyone else run into similar issues? What grain bullets is everyone shooting in their 280 Ackleys … I have heard people say that they can get the 168 grain to shoot really well. I am not sure if they have the issue with not being able to load the longer bullets all the way to the lands or not though. I am assuming that this could change the rifles ability to shoot MOA or at least the fine tuning to make it shoot to the barrels potential? Any thoughts?
I wonder if the blind mag vs hunter mag has different max COAL? Just thinking a stock swap might solve the problem, however unlikely

Sled

WKR
Yikes, yeah, at last minute I realized I better shoot my hunter before I cut it. Surprised I thought of it in my rush to get the gun together for hunting season. I think had you not cut it, they wouldn't have weaseled out of it. Pretty lame regardless! What did they charge you for a new barrel installed, wrapped, shipped, polished, taxed etc?

I opted take their offer of a middle finger and do the work myself. It shot fine but needed work that could be done at my house or the smiths shop.

OP
P

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if the blind mag vs hunter mag has different max COAL? Just thinking a stock swap might solve the problem, however unlikely
I was wondering the same thing. That would make the Montana is better option if that might be the case. Anyone know if this might be the case?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you can grab a lightly used Montana for the same price, grab the Montana- simply for the higher resale if you change your mind down the road

if not, I wouldn't hesitate purchasing a Hunter at all