Kifaru super tarp

I have been wanting to try one of these, but not wanting to buy one just find out if I like it or not. So I have been reading about them and then JG358 posts one for sale in the classifieds (thanks!) and I couldn't resist. I immediately opened the package, set it up and put the artificial rain on it for 45 minutes and not ONE drop made it inside. Impressed so far.
From the guys that have these or have used these. Is there anything to watch out for? Not sure about the stakes, they seem like they could break easily, is this the case?
Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Kifaru 001.jpg
    Kifaru 001.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 95
OP
actionshooter
Its my 1st floorless if you don't count the 8x10s from Walmart. :^) Actually I had a SL-3 that was way small for me and most of the time in the summer, I don't use anything. My plan to try and use this in a November hunt in Idaho, just don't want to push the limits with it.
The stakes are the type that came with the pole and peg kit from Kifaru, but they seem kinda flimsy.

Lawnboi

WKR
Make sure you pitch it in a good spot is my only advice for you, water will come in if you pitch it on a spot where it will run in.

I dont care for the durapegs that came with your tarp. I keep a few around for really soft ground. But i now use MSR groundhogs (very popular) for the 5 main points and mini groundhogs for the rest in most soil conditions.

JG358

WKR
The stakes are the type that came with the pole and peg kit from Kifaru, but they seem kinda flimsy.

The durapegs are tougher than they look... their is a reason Patrick uses them and sells them with his products. I try not to question him as he spends more time in these shelters than most of us put together. ;)

I've also had good results with MSR groundhogs and the Coglahn copy cats.

garrenj

FNG
I would agree that the durapegs are pretty tough, although I did manage to break some last year when the ground was frozen.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you know the ground will be frozen then i would suggest nails. They are cheap if you bend em, and they hold plenty in frozen ground.

For an all around stake though that you can go into frozen ground with, that will hold in soft ground and will not break in rocky ground, i think the groundhogs are tough to beat.

Iv still got a bunch of durapegs laying around, i dont really care for them, i always end up taking the msr's for thier versatility. If im going in really soft ground ill take 1 or 2 of the longer durapegs.

The durapegs will break, iv broken a few.