Kifaru Stryker XL vs Hellbender

ncavi8tor

WKR
I had a Hellbender and sold it to buy a Stryker XL. The Hellbender was way too floppy on the frame when empty for me even though I could use some creative strapping to cinch it down. The Stryker XL is money and I really love it for everything I do. I've carried stands, sticks, 50lb bag of corn, camp bag, ground blind, and turkey decoys to the woods at different times.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I had a Hellbender and sold it to buy a Stryker XL. The Hellbender was way too floppy on the frame when empty for me even though I could use some creative strapping to cinch it down. The Stryker XL is money and I really love it for everything I do. I've carried stands, sticks, 50lb bag of corn, camp bag, ground blind, and turkey decoys to the woods at different times.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
So, I hear this a LOT "I don't like the bag floppy when it's empty"........seriously....why is this a concern? I'm genuinely curious as, like I said, it is a VERY common complaint.

I've never hunted with an empty pack so what it does when it's empty is not even remotely on my radar of things to check...that's why I ask.

Another option you can do on a Stryker xl that I havent seen much of is, adding a lid to it. Adds a good amount of space. I just use the k clips on the top side one notch above where the Stryker clips the top of the bag to the frame. I only do this when I know I need to pack more things in. But I don’t do it often. I usually run a spotting scope pocket on the back of my Stryker that holds my spotting scope, tripod, spartan bipod and usually shove my gloves in there too.

Hoghead

WKR
Movadius- it's easier to keep a larger load against your back with a traditional bag. Once you start adding pockets and lids to a Stryker or Hellbender and then a camp bag in the sling, you can start "ninja turtling" and the bag starts to cantilever behind you. it is possible to properly pack everything so the weight is against your back to mitigate some of the sway. Food for thought.
Very true. I have a Stryker XL . Camp and my deer ended up looking like this. I have also tried pockets on the side. I set them up it un clip when I got to camp and just had the XL after that. I wasn't able to pack camp and a animal out with that set up but if you just needed more capacity it worked well. I just bought a maduce to try out next year. If I can keep from filling it, it should be good.
8f7c1fa33731eed1fd018705ec5eb54d.jpg
1c69db07cd3cef391c30279e3a79e2a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
I should've read this post before I made my post. I'm going through this same delima with a saddle hunting pack. Except I would use the sherman to hold my platform against the bag and extra "gear/snacks" in it.

G.Linden

FNG
Looking at these two packs as my hunting daypack + 1-2 night camping pack (with shelter and insulation layers outside the pack).

They're not that different internal capacity-wise. 1900 vs 2250 cubic inches. If I go with the Stryker XL I would likely add a sherman to the front which would bring it up to 2400ci.

A few questions for those who have used or handles these packs.

1. Can you stuff anything between the sherman and the pack you attach it to? (Using it like a grab-it, to stuff my rain jacket in for example)

2. If the answer to question number 1 is "No", could I add both a grab-it and a sherman to the Stryker XL or would they interfere with each other's function?

3. I see a spot to mount a pocket on the top front face of the Hellbender. Would it be possible to mount a sherman there that would extend down into the stretch pocket? (Would bring the volume of the Hellbender up to 2750ci).

4. Does anyone have any clear images of a guide light being used with either of these packs? Is it comically oversized or is it a functional option?

Use case is typically gonna be either single day hunts, trail clearing day trips with awkward tools, or 1-3 day camping/backpacking trips off-trail. I'm in eastern canada so I'll never need to worry about having a lot of glass or tripods or anything like that.

Thanks as always for sharing your experience.
I use a Sherman on my Antero 2 and it works great stuffing things between it and the pack itself with compression straps !!

Citizen

FNG
just received my Hellbender bag. I have only done a hike with it so far but I can say I love the layout. The bane pocket is really handy for dumping a layer or gloves quick. Side stretch pockets are perfect for a spotter or water bottles. The main bag size is about perfect. The slash pocket is a generous size for your quick edc items. Plus the chamber pocket inside the main bag.

You can tighten the bag down to the frame with the side compression straps so it’s not moving as much. The Xpac material is slick but it’s nice material for a load shelf and even not having the bag full full it’s not loud when it moves.

I haven’t had a Kifaru product in a long while now and I think things are going in the right direction with the new designs.