Kifaru Stryker w/ camp bag vs bigger bag?

What's everyone thought on the Stryker with a camp bag for getting into backpack hunting? Seems like a good idea to be able drop camp and use just the stryker for the day out on the mountain plus I have an opportunity to pick up an original stryker locally at a decent price.

Has anyone started with this set-up and regretted it or went to a bigger bag and happy they did?

Last edited:
OP
Timberdonkey_059
Never had a striker, but always run the big bags. They compress down nicely so it was never an issue for me. Currently using a hoodlum and will probably use it until it falls apart.

That's one of the bags I'm really looking at if I don't go the Stryker route.

Id go Stryker XL, not the regular Stryker. The extra room is good, but the side bottle pockets change things. I put trekking poles and bugle tube on 1 side and tripod on the other. I have a Hoodlum and 44 Mag, but I prefer the Stryker XL setup for just about any situation. I just am not a fan of the regular Stryker in comparison to the XL.

I’d say eventually work towards having both. Buy 1 set up with a frame, and then later the other as a bag only or keep your eyes peeled for a used one. The Stryker XL/ Camp Bag and Hoodlum will give you a boat load of versatility. Switching bags out on a frame takes a few minutes tops.

Hard to say which to get first. If you only hunt out west for 7+ days and don’t plan to resupply go with the Hoodlum. If you hunt back east for whitetail/turkey/hogs/etc and do a lot of day trips and go west for a couple 5-7 day trips then go Stryker XL/Camp bag first. Ultimately you can do nearly identical things with both, the Hoodlum is just going to excel in longer pack ins and the SXL better for day hunting. You are going to get more days out of a Hoodlum though, no doubt. You can’t make room on a smaller bag, but you can compress a larger one.

Choose wisely.

ChrisAU

WKR
Id go Stryker XL, not the regular Stryker. The extra room is good, but the side bottle pockets change things. I put trekking poles and bugle tube on 1 side and tripod on the other. I have a Hoodlum and 44 Mag, but I prefer the Stryker XL setup for just about any situation. I just am not a fan of the regular Stryker in comparison to the XL.

I’d say eventually work towards having both. Buy 1 set up with a frame, and then later the other as a bag only or keep your eyes peeled for a used one. The Stryker XL/ Camp Bag and Hoodlum will give you a boat load of versatility. Switching bags out on a frame takes a few minutes tops.

Hard to say which to get first. If you only hunt out west for 7+ days and don’t plan to resupply go with the Hoodlum. If you hunt back east for whitetail/turkey/hogs/etc and do a lot of day trips and go west for a couple 5-7 day trips then go Stryker XL/Camp bag first. Ultimately you can do nearly identical things with both, the Hoodlum is just going to excel in longer pack ins and the SXL better for day hunting. You are going to get more days out of a Hoodlum though, no doubt. You can’t make room on a smaller bag, but you can compress a larger one.

Choose wisely.

I’m excited to get my Stryker XL and Camp Bag, though I’ll likely use a lighter dry bag with the XL out west. The Camp Bag by itself is almost bigger than what I’ve been using for 5-7 day trips, I think I could easily get 10-12 days out of the Stryker XL + Camp Bag + Sherman.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
So just to clear some things up.

I have a shapecharge and a doorgunner i use here in Michigan for whitetails and turkeys. I am looking to go on my first western backpack hunt next year, likely to be a 5ish day trip.

I can pick up an original stryker bag only locally for a good price. otherwise id have been asking about the XL vs bigger bags for sure.

I do see the stryker/stryker xl set up being useful here for days when i am out setting stands and things but i doubt i would ever use it over my shapecharge during hunting season, hence why I'm not super sold on it. But also not super sold on a big bag either for the stand hanging occasions and for the fact of being able to only pack a stryker around during the day on the mountain and not dealing with compression straps so much anytime I want to get into the interior of my pack.

Powerman

FNG
I have the regular Stryker and use it a lot for day hunting . Also have used on a 2 day backpacking deer hunt as you described with a dry bag in the cargo area. It worked just fine, but I do find myself looking more towards a larger bag that can compress down.

pyrotechnic

Lil-Rokslider
I will second getting the XL over the regular Stryker. The side pockets make a huge difference, the bit of extra size is nice as well. I ditched the regular Stryker the moment the XL came out.

I would also consider the fulcrum. It compresses down nicely for daypack mode although it is a bit strappy. And scales well for carrying pretty much everything from a few more layers to a camp for a week. If I could only have one bag, it would be the one I keep. Since I do mostly day hunts or car camping the Stryker XL lives on the frame the majority of the time.

I’m excited to get my Stryker XL and Camp Bag, though I’ll likely use a lighter dry bag with the XL out west. The Camp Bag by itself is almost bigger than what I’ve been using for 5-7 day trips, I think I could easily get 10-12 days out of the Stryker XL + Camp Bag + Sherman.

Agreed. I have a med and lg belt pouch on my xl. The Sherman holds more than people think, and using the gen 2 claymore as a lid (or ogl or a MR hunting lid modded with kifaru buckles) and I think I could get 8-10+ with those 2 additions.

OP, If it’s original Stryker vs Hoodlum, get the Hoodlum. I dont see the og Stryker helping you out much.

Last edited:

Tradchef

WKR
I used the cargo panel and guide lid and pockets system for 4 years. This was pre striker. It was a great system and did what i needed it to do. I use my reckoning bag way more even for day hunts. However i have been keeping an eye out for a striker to use for backpacking and lighter day hunts as it seems like a great pack to have.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
So it seems the general consensus is that the stryker will do what I need it to do but is not the preferred method...

Powerman

FNG
Here is a pic with a Sherman used as a lid. Half a deer in cargo area. It will work but "not preferred" is a good way to put it when you are thinking of 5 days and with plans of being successful.

Attachments

• IMG959316~2.jpg
    IMG959316~2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 54

Shraggs

WKR
I have a styler, not the xl. And others including a reckoning and tahr. The Stryker has value, but I found it’s extra time and weight to stack contents in the camp bag and shape right. Found extra compression straps really helped but basically it’s so much easier to just have a dedicated western bag if appropriate size. Not that it can’t do it. If not cold and was doing day trips it’s one of my options but not for extended trips.

That said, I use my Stryker more than most bags. Also deer hunt In Michigan and all my set up and trimming tools go in the bag, and I can easily haul stands in the cargo. It’s also my work out bag, tools and bag is 20lbs and I add weight in the cargo area which is way easier than a top loading bag with towels in the bottom.

I agree I’d prefer the xl.

If you truly have a good deal, buy it. You may find it works locally more than you think. Later pick up a used 3000-6000 bag of your choice used.

OP
Timberdonkey_059
I have a styler, not the xl. And others including a reckoning and tahr. The Stryker has value, but I found it’s extra time and weight to stack contents in the camp bag and shape right. Found extra compression straps really helped but basically it’s so much easier to just have a dedicated western bag if appropriate size. Not that it can’t do it. If not cold and was doing day trips it’s one of my options but not for extended trips.

That said, I use my Stryker more than most bags. Also deer hunt In Michigan and all my set up and trimming tools go in the bag, and I can easily haul stands in the cargo. It’s also my work out bag, tools and bag is 20lbs and I add weight in the cargo area which is way easier than a top loading bag with towels in the bottom.

I agree I’d prefer the xl.

If you truly have a good deal, buy it. You may find it works locally more than you think. Later pick up a used 3000-6000 bag of your choice used.

Appreciate it! Very good information

prm

WKR
I’ve packed in for 5 days using Stryker. No issues.

The benefit of the xl to me was the side pocket for a tripod. The extra size is nice if packing extra warm layers during the day for glassing in rather cold conditions. If not that, I actually prefer the smaller Stryker.

If you have a lead on an inexpensive Stryker, go for it. You’ll have a great pack for out west, and very versatile pack for eastern stand prep, food plots, or just hauling stuff.