Kifaru Slick 20

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kifaru slick 20 and never have really put it to the test. Next year I’ll be elk hunting during archery and it can get in the “teens” at night. Just want to know if the bag can handle that temp and sleep comfortable in the field with a sleeping pad. Basically plan to have a couple nights packed away from base camp if we get on a bull.

If not, I’d plan on selling this and move to the 0 degree bag.

I’ve had the slik 20* for three archery elk seasons and never been cold in it. I’d guess high 20s is as cold as I’ve had with it. If I was sure it was going to be in the teens I’d just expect I might be wearing all my clothes inside it.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the slik 20* for three archery elk seasons and never been cold in it. I’d guess high 20s is as cold as I’ve had with it. If I was sure it was going to be in the teens I’d just expect I might be wearing all my clothes inside it.
Appreciate the feedback!

Maverick1

WKR
It’s about to be 8 degrees here lol guess your right!
Yes. I always test gear in the back yard. If it fails, easy enough to remove it from the equation. Don’t want to learn that something isn’t fit for duty 4-6 miles into the mountains or under extreme conditions when you could have checked it out in one evening at home.

Voyageur

WKR
I have had my Kifaru 20 degree bag for 10 years or more and mine definitely won't COMFORTABLY handle those conditions (for me anyway, other's mileage may vary). Maybe the newer ones are warmer?

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I have had my Kifaru 20 degree bag for 10 years or more and mine definitely won't COMFORTABLY handle those conditions (for me anyway, other's mileage may vary). Maybe the newer ones are warmer?
What’s the lowest temp your comfortable?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apex handles packing/unpacking better than most synthetic insulations, BUT it still succumbs to losing loft over time. Not sure how long you've had your bag or how much use it's seen. I have three Apex bags, all ~ 8-10 years and all are definitely not as warm as when new.

I've found having a really good pad goes a looooooong ways in how warm one sleeps at night; if you don't have a good pad currently- invest in one.

As others have said, one sure way to find out :D

I had a new 0 degree Slik bag and froze my ass off in the 30's on a high R rated pad. Probably the worst value piece of gear that I've ever bought. I've since bought a high quality 0 degree down bag and sleep good into the negative temps.

I’ve got a 20 degree, I’ve slept at the coldest in -7C which is just a degree colder that 20F it kept me warm, I did wear a t shirt and long johns. I’m a very hot sleeper. I can’t imagine it would keep me warm to much more below that point. But with an extra layer on a guy can stretch it out a bit

Apex handles packing/unpacking better than most synthetic insulations, BUT it still succumbs to losing loft over time. Not sure how long you've had your bag or how much use it's seen. I have three Apex bags, all ~ 8-10 years and all are definitely not as warm as when new.

I've found having a really good pad goes a looooooong ways in how warm one sleeps at night; if you don't have a good pad currently- invest in one.

I agree with a good pad! I use the neo air xtherm and it’s crazy how much warmer it keeps me. To cool down at times sleeping I’ve taken my pad out from under me for a bit.

I have had mine in the mid 20’s and been fine and slept well, and I’m a fairly cold sleeper. Pad was 4.5r value. I will say, after the 2 or 3 years I’ve had it, it has seemed to lose a little loft and warmth, not bad, but noticeable

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Again, this is me and my 10+ year-old 20° bag, but I am feeling the chill in the upper 20s. Like I said, others experiences will vary.

I concur on all counts. My 5 year old 20 degree Kifaru Slick bag isn't nearly as warm now as when new. How to define "nearly", I can't really do. I find myself bringing a 5 year old Kifaru Woobie as an optional supplemental blanket on autumn hunts and this helps get through nights in the teens and below. Seems to work fine now that I admitted the Slick bag usually isn't enough. I usually use a foam pad plus an inflatable.

I think the bigger issue with the Kifaru bags is the (at best questionable, at worst astonishingly lazy) decision to plant stiff-edged Velcro closures along the zipper baffle. I carefully rounded off the corners of each one, but I'm still guaranteed scratched up skin or clothing snagging inside the bag at some point during the night.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I had a new 0 degree Slik bag and froze my ass off in the 30's on a high R rated pad. Probably the worst value piece of gear that I've ever bought. I've since bought a high quality 0 degree down bag and sleep good into the negative temps.
Care to share who makes it?

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I looked at enlightened sleeping quits, but doesn’t appear they have a 0 degree synthetic. Don’t prefer synthetic, but if I pack in I like the synthetic to avoid moisture issues. Still looking for light, packable, synthetic, zero degree…