Kifaru shoulder strap fit question

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
I've got myself a 26" Duplex Tactical frame with aluminum stays, and I'm happy to say it fits me better than any framed pack I've tried so far. One thing I've noticed though, is the shoulder straps don't feel as comfortable as the ones on my little 5.11 Rush 12. I suspect this is likely a fit issue, everyone's body being shaped differently.

It seems like the Kifaru straps are not sitting evenly with my shoulders. As in, my traps are sloped downward from my neck to my shoulder, but the straps are flat (or maybe even sloped the opposite way slightly). This means when I have any weight at all on the shoulders, it is not being distributed across the entire shoulder strap, but instead it's focused on the inside edge of the strap and there's a gap on the outside edge.

I know that the shoulders are not supposed to be carrying most of the weight, but there are gonna be times I want to give my hips a break and take some of the weight off the belt and put it on the shoulders.

Is there anything I can do to adjust the shape of the shoulder straps to better counter to my shoulders/traps? I know with other packs I've heard of people using heat like from a blow dryer to shape them but unsure if that is dependant on the material. Will they break in over time?

Not a dealbreaker, but knowing the straps on the Rush12 feel like they fit me so much better tells me I'm probably not getting the most out of my Kifaru and might be able to tweak it. Pics below with goofy red lines to illustrate the differences in the straps.

Thanks for your input!

Put some weight in there are walk around for a little bit. They come a little stiff, but they break in fairly fast and almost form to your shape. The multicam seems to take a little longer to loosen up but they all do. You'll love it once you've had it on for a bit. I put fifty pounds in mine when I adjust all of mine to myself.

Also, you may need to slide that three bar slider down a ways to get the load lift you need. I have mine at the bottom of the elastic piece there. Then I put my water bladder hose through the elastic.

Go to the Kifaru site or Youtube and watch their fitting videos. They will have you dialed in no time.

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider
Put some weight in there are walk around for a little bit. They come a little stiff, but they break in fairly fast and almost form to your shape. The multicam seems to take a little longer to loosen up but they all do. You'll love it once you've had it on for a bit. I put fifty pounds in mine when I adjust all of mine to myself.

This is great to know. Thanks for the input

MountainZ

FNG
It takes some time to dial in. Watching some fit videos is worthwhile. As mentioned above, you need to put some weight in the pack, then start with everything on your hips. I'm 6'4" and also run those slider all the way down. I loosen everything other than the waist belt up so the pack is floating on my hips, then start adjusting the shoulder straps and load lifters. I like mine with a bit of a gap at the top and back of my shoulders so the straps are pulling down and forward and not even touching at the back.

These packs are designed to have minimal weight on the shoulders. I tighten mine down when I hit some steep, technical, terrain, but any type of flatter, easier strolling and almost all of the weight is on my hips.

DeadeyeTy

FNG
MountainZ nailed it. Put everything on your hips then tighten the rest down.

Also definitely recommend watching all the kifaru videos.

Wrench

WKR
I get the same thing. I like my original nice yoke best so far. I like the options on the kifaru....but I have yet to get the straps to same level of love.

*zap*

WKR
I think the kifaru design puts the majority of weight on your hips. If memory serves me correctly they want a small gap between the back of the shoulder and the pack strap. There are a few good pack frame fitting videos on the kifaru utube site.

Recondo

FNG
I've got myself a 26" Duplex Tactical frame with aluminum stays, and I'm happy to say it fits me better than any framed pack I've tried so far. One thing I've noticed though, is the shoulder straps don't feel as comfortable as the ones on my little 5.11 Rush 12. I suspect this is likely a fit issue, everyone's body being shaped differently.

It seems like the Kifaru straps are not sitting evenly with my shoulders. As in, my traps are sloped downward from my neck to my shoulder, but the straps are flat (or maybe even sloped the opposite way slightly). This means when I have any weight at all on the shoulders, it is not being distributed across the entire shoulder strap, but instead it's focused on the inside edge of the strap and there's a gap on the outside edge.

I know that the shoulders are not supposed to be carrying most of the weight, but there are gonna be times I want to give my hips a break and take some of the weight off the belt and put it on the shoulders.

Is there anything I can do to adjust the shape of the shoulder straps to better counter to my shoulders/traps? I know with other packs I've heard of people using heat like from a blow dryer to shape them but unsure if that is dependant on the material. Will they break in over time?

Not a dealbreaker, but knowing the straps on the Rush12 feel like they fit me so much better tells me I'm probably not getting the most out of my Kifaru and might be able to tweak it. Pics below with goofy red lines to illustrate the differences in the straps.

Thanks for your input!
Question to you. do you have that clip that Kifaru packs have for the straps that are used to pinch the straps together just behind your head ? This places your straps at the correct angle. Without that clip I can see where it would be bothering you as described. Hope this helps

dj1975232

Lil-Rokslider
Never seen what you are talking about and my frame doesn't have that. Is it new? Pics?
Question to you. do you have that clip that Kifaru packs have for the straps that are used to pinch the straps together just behind your head ? This places your straps at the correct angle. Without that clip I can see where it would be bothering you as described. Hope this helps
Never seen what you are talking about and my frame doesn't have that. Is it new? Pics?

OP
M

Movadius

Lil-Rokslider

I was not aware such a clip existed. Do you have a picture of it or link for it?

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I am running in to the same issue. I have had a couple backpacking trips, a week of bear hunting and several weighted rucks around my neighborhood and the straps have not begun to conform to my shoulders. I have tried several different adjustments and cant find the sweet spot. It is starting to make me very uncomfortable when wearing my bino harness as well since the shoulder strap puts all the pressure on the inside edge of the strap even when keeping the weight on my hips.... Hoping i can find a solution before getting rid of this whole setup...

Marble

WKR
I am running in to the same issue. I have had a couple backpacking trips, a week of bear hunting and several weighted rucks around my neighborhood and the straps have not begun to conform to my shoulders. I have tried several different adjustments and cant find the sweet spot. It is starting to make me very uncomfortable when wearing my bino harness as well since the shoulder strap puts all the pressure on the inside edge of the strap even when keeping the weight on my hips.... Hoping i can find a solution before getting rid of this whole setup...
You should snap some pics so we can see what you're talking about.

Also, go to YouTube and look up kifaru videos on how to properly adjust a pack. Little things make a huge difference.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk