Kifaru pullouts?

Ruskin

WKR
I got a bikini frame and T1. What pullouts would you recommend? I want to order a set, but not sure about sizes. Suggestions?

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Personally I don't use the pullouts. If I am going for gear organization for items like first aid, kill kit, cook kit and what not I use the KU UL pockets (large size) as this gives you the option to attach them to the outside of your pack securing if you end up needing more space once you pack is filled with meat/hide/horns and camp. SO you still have quick easy access to your "pullouts" as they are attached to the outside of your pack.

cmeier117

WKR
I like Luke's thinking but I have a set of ul pull outs. I use the medium for kill kit. Small for fire starting, water purification, first aid. Large for hygiene, although medium would work better. The XL this year will be all the loose gear that went in my dt1 pockets and lid since I am using the high camp bag.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I just use ziploc bags. Waterproof and I can see whats inside. :)

To a certain extent they are waterproof. They wear holes in pretty easily as I had a camera (non waterproof) in the top lid of my pack on a wet solo hiking trip and the camera eventually got wet enough it quit working. Same thing with our first aid kit. After repeatedly having to dry it our between trips from ziplock failures we started using UL dry sacks for that as well. Just cheap insurance and the are much more robust than ziplocks.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I never used "pullouts" but this past year I've transitioned over to them and frickin love them. I just find it way easy to locate gear in my pack. I've got 7 Kifaru UL ones (all sizes) and i use colored cord for the zipper pulls. This way I can look in my pack fast and know what color pull I need for what gear is in the pullout and grab it. Thinking I'm definitely sticking with this system.

unm1136

WKR
I have a set of the UL ones. One of the most useful I find for EDC and pack organization is the smalls. The others are OK. I like Luke's concept, and may look at either getting a couple of lock and load #1s, or staying UL getting a few three bar sliders and installing them on my small pullouts. It seems like most of the things I want to use the pull out for are relatively small.

pat

unm1136

WKR
Another thought with using the belt pouches is the ability to shingle them by only attaching the top bars. Since you are only doing for part of your trip....

I have also found success using the KU pods for larger/bulkier gear inside my pack, and using them like a stuffsack. I had pictures on a thread I started here somewhere. I use the pods with the same concept... Empty the pack, d&l the pods on the outside. Medium pod carries five days of food, and the large carries sleeping bag, hammock, underquilt, pillow, beanie, and whatnot. The small pod currently lives in my gym bag keeping my shoes from getting on everything else. Small pod had a pair of vibram five fingers, and a medium pull out with a pair of shorts, tshirt and heart rate monitor. None of the pullouts/pods are waterproof, so using trash compactor bags or a redundant UL stuffsack is necessary.

pat

gelton

WKR
I was in the same boat. Recently received my dt1 and was considering loading up on kifaru pullouts. However my my local REI saved the long wait from kifaru. Sea to summit makes ultra light silnylon dry sacks in four different sizes - I bought 3 of them. Also check out eagle creek silnylon Specter cubes for smaller sized silnylon pouches I have four of them. Really lightweight and moderately waterproof (seams aren't sealed). Very comparable price wise to kifaru pullouts and available for immediate delivery.

Cubes - http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/830417/eagle-creek-pack-it-specter-cube-set
Ultra sil Sacks - http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/product/847672/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-pack-liner-medium

gelton

WKR
To add to my above post - here is how my current set up is with the Eagle Creek Specter set and Ultra Sil Sacks from Sea to Summit.

Eagle Creek Specter Cube Set: (all four combined under 4 ounces)
Full Cube - holds food water and spices.
Half Cube - holds kill kit and small first aid kit.
(2) Quarter Cubes - hold electronics and possibles pouch.

Sea to Summit Ultra Sil Dry Sacks:
35 Liter - holds outerwear and rain gear with room for xtra stuff if needed (doubles as a sleeping gear bag when wearing clothing but my sleeping gear is pretty well protected in the sacks they came in)
15 Liter - holds insulated underwear with room for xtras
5 Liter - socks and underwear

Because the sacks are lightweight you can handle getting a little more volume for those unexpected downpours when you want to protect things you might have not considered a drybag for. The 35 liter could also double as a meat bag if needed. I plan on getting a hanging meat bag to hang inside my dt1 and with this setup can carry clothing etc. INSIDE the pack with the meat without worrying about it being bloodied up from any potential leakage from the unsealed meat bag. Anything that needs to be carried outside the pack can be without worrying about it getting wet. Also eliminates the need for a waterproof pack cover since everything will be protected. From the looks of it, I better get that hanging meat bag ordered today if I want it by hunting season.