Kifaru Lite and Exo K3

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys. So back when Exo came out with their first pack, I bought one and used it for a fall. Like the other packs I’d tried, it didn’t stay up on my hips very well. Even with little weight. From that pack, I bought a Kifaru duplex pre 2015 off of the classifieds here and have been sold on their frame/suspension ever since. Its solid when I throw it on and the belt sticks like glue. Have also come to love their bags and modularity.

But, with all the rave on the new K3 from Exo and looking at the redesigned hip belt I decided to order one and compare with my Kifaru lite. I’m not going to be digging into the bags as much as the frames, but I did order it with the 4800 bag as that’s the layout I would rather use over their other bags. I’ll do some comparisons with the 4800 and the Kifaru Reckoning from a size perspective, but not really a bag review.

I chose to do this kind of head to head thread because these are two frames with bag options I like and would use. So if you have any questions or things you’d like to see let me know.

Exo K3 - small belt and short frame

Kifaru lite - small belt and 24” frame

I’m 5’ 10”

Pictures coming soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhhh it on, I like it.
I'm running and Exo 4800 on a Kifaru 26"
I definitely miss the simplicity of the Exo.
I'm the odd ball out, all the kifaru options are over whelming and none of the sizes and layouts really work for me.
Think I finally may have figured out how to adjust it.
Excited to see what you think of the K3

You will likely enjoy the new frame fit/blet from EXO. I have always used Kifaru. I still have 3 frames and packs (Tahr,AMR,Fulcrum) and use them respectively for certain needs.
I wanted to try the EXO, so I got the 1800 to use for scouting, Utah turkey, Az desert mule deer, and even some Idaho elk hunts from base. I really like the EXo, mine is the K2 frame I guess. It's not their newest or oldest.

Both frames are sweet, but the EXo being small, as compared to my Tahr, gets the nod for low level hunting needs.

With that said, I am definitely keeping my Kifaru set ups. They are my go to for extended solo hunts.

Interested to hear your opinion on them side by side- the frames. There is a different feel for sure.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to hear your thoughts on the frames as they compare to each other in a controled test.

For example, do a hike of 2-3 miles carrying 60 lbs with both and note how they performed.

Maybe do the same test with 80 lbs or 100 lbs as well to test full load comfort and performance?

Ive been testing the K3 and it is definitely an upgrade and I really like the 4800 bag, but for some reason I was getting a little bag fatigue/soreness that I don't get with my Stone Glacier and didn't get with Kifaru. I also can feel the sand bag through the frame more than the other packs.

RS3579

WKR
I’m following this. I’ll be making a purchase soon. Looks like this will definitely help me on my selection. I have a 1st gen EXO, It was my only true frame pack. Thanks for the review

I'd like to see where the stays ride in comparison to your height, as well as the angle of the load lifters when loaded.

TGLBRH

Lil-Rokslider
Love my K3 4800. No issues with fit on mine. I came from an Eberlestock pack amd the difference is night and day.

Interested in following this as well. I'll be making a purchase soon and currently focused on Kifaru but not opposed to other brands with Exo and SG being the other two I'd consider at this time. I'm most interested in hearing how they perform under heavy pack out weights over moderate distance; 1-3 miles.
It looks like your set ups will be roughly a 12oz weight difference in favor of Exo so also curious how much you notice the additional weight. (I'm looking at the Hoodlum so if comparing to the Exo 6400 it's an additional 14oz with a 26" frame)
Finally, and I understand this won't come from a hike or two, but your thoughts on durability. I'm someone who prefers to spend money once on a premium product and have it last me. Thank you Jordan, I watch plenty of your YouTube reviews and appreciate your insight.

CO-AJ

WKR
Just bought my Exo yesterday. I went with the 6400 and every brand above I think I compared. For me it got down to Seek Outside Custom 6000 series and the Exo. There were a couple features on the EXO I liked such as the fill length side pocket with an additional small packet on the side for water bottles, also the top accessible waterproof bladder pocket which will be great for a fly or jacket as I am not a bladder carrier. My only concern is it may be too large of a pack, but many reviews say it will compress down to a great size for a 3-5 day hike. Also, Mark H. at Exo was very responsive and helpful to all my questions. This is my first high end pack, although I do own a couple of smaller Eberlestocks, so I am excited to throw some weight in it and take it for a neighborhood stroll.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just bought my Exo yesterday. I went with the 6400 and every brand above I think I compared. For me it got down to Seek Outside Custom 6000 series and the Exo. There were a couple features on the EXO I liked such as the fill length side pocket with an additional small packet on the side for water bottles, also the top accessible waterproof bladder pocket which will be great for a fly or jacket as I am not a bladder carrier. My only concern is it may be too large of a pack, but many reviews say it will compress down to a great size for a 3-5 day hike. Also, Mark H. at Exo was very responsive and helpful to all my questions. This is my first high end pack, although I do own a couple of smaller Eberlestocks, so I am excited to throw some weight in it and take it for a neighborhood stroll.

Their compression strap design for the bottom of the bag is pretty damn cool. That 4800 compresses down to about nothing so I'm sure the 64 will be the same. If I was going to get a week long bag I'd have definitely gone the 6400 route.. the 4800 is not big enough for me. Will have some photos of that shortly.

Last edited:
I just bought a Kifaru 44 mag and 26" lite frame and an EXO K3 3200 pack. I hike in a long way with smaller (20-30#) loads, but need a good pack so rhwse 2 will go through the comparison test.

So I am following this to see qhat tour tae on them is.

Their compression strap design for the bottom of the bag is pretty damn cool. That 4800 compresses down to about nothing so I'm sure the 64 will be the same. If I was going to get a week long bag I'd have definitely gone the 6400 route.. the 4800 is not big enough. Will have some photos of that shortly.
The 4800 is plenty of bag for a week bivy Hunt with decent gear. I’d say most minimalist could push more than 7 day’s depending on season.

I have the 4800 and used a 6200 last year on a 7 day hunt and was maxed out. I have very light high end gear. I think the only way to get a 4800 to work on a 7 day hunt would be pretty Spartan. probably a quilt and tarp for sleeping would be only way to manage it. If you use a synthetic bag you would be screwed.

I can fit a week (September) in my 4800 no problem. Can't speak to mid/late October clothes/sleep system though.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 4800 is plenty of bag for a week bivy Hunt with decent gear. I’d say most minimalist could push more than 7 day’s depending on season.

I have to disagree with that for my setup. What’s your gear list for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk