Kifaru Gun Bearer vs. FHF Gear Rifle Sling and Pack Attachment System

I love my Kifaru gun bearer on my Duplex Lite frame. My rifle is always at the ready when humping, but I am considering trying an FHF Sling and Pack Attachment system. Has anyone tried one of these as well as the Kifaru GB? It seems like the FHF system would cause the barrel to be less prone to popping you in the face and swinging around in rough country... since it is obviously strapped to the pack itself, as opposed to being suspended under the arm by the Kifaru GB. Is the FHF system more comfortable overall, since the rifle is not in your face, or is the fixed weight of the rifle attached to one side of the pack awkward in the backcountry? How does the speed at which you can draw your rifle out of a Kifaru GB compare to that of the FHF system?

Watching this thread, I am researching the same question for my new X Bolt Speed. I feel that I am pretty much over slings in general, but I really like the FHF Gear option if I am going to do a sling. Right now, I am leaning on doing a MYOG (make your own gear) EXO rifle pack attachment clone. Has the benefit of the Kafaru GB, but the rifle is out of your face, and I think I can make it elastic enough to grab and deploy quickly, but my rifle is suppresed, so not sure if that will cause hang ups....? Still making up my mind, I have about 2 months before Im in the mountains for Black Bear, so I need to choose soon.

gggaff

FNG
I started using the Kifaru gun bearer over two decades ago and over time my hunting partners have converted to it as well. The one time I had to use a sling after using the GB, I was miserable and hated it. I have been very happy with the Kifaru product so have never tried other systems and have not had a problem with the barrel being in my face or swinging around.

Ludo

FNG
I used the Kifaru gun bearer on a Colorado Elk hunt last year, and hated it. It was fine once you got it in place, the barrel in my line of sight was a little annoying but not horrible. It was also quick to deploy once you needed it. My primary issue was that it was a pain in the ass to get back into position after you removed it. Once you’re all layered up, wearing gloves, etc.. it’s almost impossible to get that damn top strap secure. Where I hunt, It just wasn’t usable. I need to be able to deploy/remove my rifle frequently, and this thing was just annoying. After I went back to a sling it was such a relief. Oh one last thing, the top strap that secures the rifle to your shoulder strap has a hair trigger. Releases way too easy in my opinion.

bluumoon

WKR
I have the universal KGB upper, currently the top strap is attached to the top of the frame, rifle behind the shoulder. Not as quick deployment compared to normal carry, but pretty close. Kinda of a pain to put rifle back in while wearing, but doable.

JDMBEND

Lil-Rokslider
Got a Slik Sling to try out. It looks promising, but we will see.

mxgust

Lil-Rokslider
I have the fhf and used it all last season. I liked it, it held my rifle in place really well and is fairly quick to get off, plus you can use it as a sling. When attached it doesn’t slide around to shift at all which is amazing. The weight on one side of the pack was not noticeable to me at all. The only downside is to attach the lower attachment point on the butt stock you do have to take your pack off. I thought that would bother me more that it did but I didn’t get annoyed by it at all. I haven’t used the kifaru but I used to have the stone glacier and I like the fhf a lot more. It’s an order of magnitude better in my opinion

Seeknelk

WKR
I used a GB for 15+ years. I absolutely hate a normal sling when hunting with a pack on. I tried the Slik Sling last year and now prefer that system, it puts barrel behind your shoulder but is still pretty quick to get at but admittedly not as quick as the GB but there's tradeoffs. Equally as important to me is it's still just as easy to put your gun back without removing your pack.