Kifaru alternatives ...

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Duplex-1 and an AMR-2 with a tactical frame.

Tried 4 belts (old med, new med, old large, new large), none of them fit me (and/or have the slippery buckles) and the "Marge" is no longer offered for sale. No issues with MH, Gregory, Osprey, or Exo previously, seems to be only with Kifaru...)

Given that my last trip was 72 lbs going in, with the frame/bag combo being 9 of that (AMR2+tactical frame with large belt) I am having to start looking for alternatives both for fitment and for general weight reduction (since the pack represents 12.5% of my total load.)

What "lightweight load-hauling systems" (sub 5 lbs) are people running (and having success with) these days from other companies?

(6'6" 245 and moved away from Exo due to the back panel not being quite long enough.)

TIA!
-mox

nobody

WKR
Stone Glacier Evo 40/56 weighs 4 lbs 6 oz with the Evo lid attached. With the lid, I can expand it to 5600 cubic inches. Plenty big.

Without the lid, it weighs 4 lbs on the nose and can expand to a 5100 cubic inch max capacity.

I bet the frame would fit you too. He can correct me if he sees this, but if I remember right, I believe Kurt (Founder of SG) is 6'5" so all his frames are designed to fit guys up to tall heights.

Ryan2.0

FNG
I would look into seek outside. I had a Unaweep 6300 and liked it, just liked a Kifaru reckoning a little more.

JigStick

WKR
I’m really digging my Stone Glacier X Curve frame and SkyGuide 7900. Incredibly comfortable. Recently hiked some pretty rugged terrain with it loaded up with 50lbs and I barely knew it was there. Construction is excellent. And when collapsed down to minimalist mode it’s extremely compact.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
Have a Duplex-1 and an AMR-2 with a tactical frame.

Tried 4 belts (old med, new med, old large, new large), none of them fit me (and/or have the slippery buckles) and the "Marge" is no longer offered for sale. No issues with MH, Gregory, Osprey, or Exo previously, seems to be only with Kifaru...)

Given that my last trip was 72 lbs going in, with the frame/bag combo being 9 of that (AMR2+tactical frame with large belt) I am having to start looking for alternatives both for fitment and for general weight reduction (since the pack represents 12.5% of my total load.)

What "lightweight load-hauling systems" (sub 5 lbs) are people running (and having success with) these days from other companies?

(6'6" 245 and moved away from Exo due to the back panel not being quite long enough.)

TIA!
-mox
Another endorsement for Stone Glacier X curve. Did the same thing you are doing earlier this with separating from Kifaru and couldn’t be more happy and pleased with SG performance on a BC Black bear hunt in May and AK Mt Goat Hunt last month.

OP
M

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
All you SG guys, what loads are you putting in? Not that I am carrying 100, but curious what the highest people have actually done with them (frames and such rated for 150, but that doesn't mean they carry well there... :) 😀

*zap*

WKR
I would try stone glacier and make sure you have the right style frame for your torso length. If your in my area your welcome to try my SG, MR and Kifaru stuff.

nobody

WKR
All you SG guys, what loads are you putting in? Not that I am carrying 100, but curious what the highest people have actually done with them (frames and such rated for 150, but that doesn't mean they carry well there... :) 😀
Just got my Evo 40/56 about a month ago and have taken it on 2 trips. First was a 4 day backcountry archery elk hunt with super sucky weather, so I was packing some extra gear that I wouldn't normally carry because of the torrential downpours that were coming. I had about 55 lbs going in for a few miles including my bow and water and it carried like a dream. No elk were packed on that trip.

Last week it carried half a mule deer on our annual "gentleman's hunt" with my brothers and cousin-in-law. Lots of day hunts and hikes, so not much for weight in there either. I bet my load out with my small buck was about 45 lbs including my day gear and snacks and gun.

I'm going to help someone on a Utah limited entry elk tag this weekend, so I'm hoping I can test it out there. I'm also hoping to put it through it's paces on a mature buck on my 3rd season colorado hunt, and my own elk tag is good until late November, so I'm hopeful I'll be able to put some serious work on it before too long. But it hasn't sagged under load once (more than I can say about my old Mystery Ranch) and it has never pinched my hips or back at all. It carries like a dream, and seems to make my load seem lighter than it actually is.

The heaviest that I have weighed was 136. I packed it a ways and I couldn’t have been happier with the pack. I had no slippage at all. My hips on the other hand did not fair well…

Not really an answer to your question, but have you tried the different kifaru stays? I had a problem with kifaru and went to curved stays and have had no issues since. To me the right stays were more important than the belt. I had problems with MR and exo and neither offered a curved option. Also, not sure about the weight, but if exo fir fine why not go back to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
Also, not sure about the weight, but if exo fir fine why not go back to them?
Didn't fit fine because of the shorter torso length.

Will look into the stays option, but the issue appears to be "med does't wrap the hips enough and large wraps too much with the buckles bottoming out (foam touching buckle on both sides.)" Not sure how swapping stays will help that.

Cheers,
-mox

sndmn11

WKR
Didn't fit fine because of the shorter torso length.

Will look into the stays option, but the issue appears to be "med does't wrap the hips enough and large wraps too much with the buckles bottoming out (foam touching buckle on both sides.)" Not sure how swapping stays will help that.

Cheers,
-mox

Sub 5lbs and for a tall guy screams a Seek Outside pack. A person can take their revolution frame and fit it to someone who is 5' or 6'6" in a few minutes.

*zap*

WKR
James River archery gave me a discount as a slide member + the memorial day discount a few years ago when I got my frame and accessories from them. Might give them a call and talk to the manager, he manager was very helpful with my purchases from there. I see they are no longer on the sponsor list here.

Now they give 10% if you join the email list and may add the slide discount to that....worth a try.

Last edited:

K98

FNG
I’m a Kifaru user and fan…..but you may have to look elsewhere if you can’t find one - SG and Exo both have great products you can get in a week…..

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m really digging my Stone Glacier X Curve frame and SkyGuide 7900. Incredibly comfortable. Recently hiked some pretty rugged terrain with it loaded up with 50lbs and I barely knew it was there. Construction is excellent. And when collapsed down to minimalist mode it’s extremely compact.
I have that same pack and really like it too.

I have been using mystery ranch metcalf for 5 years now. It is a solid well built pack. I have a lot of experience with using there fire packs which made me go with the hunting pack. I’m sure at scheels you could try one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk