Kifaru 22 mag? Feedback?

repins05

WKR
After spending way to long on Kifaru website I think I am ready to purchase a 22mag. Looking for a 1-2 day overnight bag. Don't really want to go bigger than 2500 ci. Want the molle attachments on the back of the pack. Two exterior pockets a must.

Thing I am struggling with is the meat carrier portion.

Also wish I could try the pack/s on but not going to be possible without a long road trip.

Any positive or negative feedback on the 22 mag appreciated.

What about the meat flap are you struggling with? If gives you the option to be able to utilize that functionality if desired. Or could be used for a Camp Bag with sleeping stuff inside or simply other sleeping gear.
The Gen 1 22MAG’s did not have the meat flap option, if that was a deal breaker for you. They come up somewhat regularly for sale on here or other forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I have hauled two boned out mule deer inside my 22mag. I use mine as a daypack....but I haul 35 pounds as a normal load for day trips. There is no way I'd be able to go multi day plus a deer in one trip the way I pack.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
I'm 6-2" tall and use a 26" Duplex frame for my 22Mag Gen-2 pack. For me, this allows the best fit and bonus is extra space under the pack, supported by the lower frame, for a roll up or stuffed dry storage bag. Usually, my Kifaru Tut tent in a dry bag that straps in below pack.
Choose the gear you pack carefully for a 1–2-night trip. Not that much room in bag interior as I thought. But it's a great day pack and hold lots of gear for a day.

If going in deep for the day, for a possible one nighter, I'll pack tent, sleep quilt, pad, MSR stove and 2 MtnHouse, snack bars & 2 liters water, kill kit and 1st-aid kit and few other small necessities.
3 times I have spent a September night in the woods after putting down an archery bull in late afternoon-eve and I'm deep in from base camp. Processing the bull SOLO takes me a few hours. Done and meat bagged, hung a distance away from carcass/remains, I retire to my tent set earlier and get some sleep. Up early the next morning for 1st pack out trip. Rather do this than hike out at midnight/1am and tired from elk processing. Can carry a bone-in rear elk quarter using the meat shelf option. At truck or basecamp, will unpack gear not needed for return meat packing trips. Between meat shelf and using now empty bag, can pack out more of a meat load.
Avg 90-100-lbs meat on pack outs.

For a planned 2 nights out or more, I switch out to my Reckoning pack, using same frame.

pc3

WKR
If your getting one pack, like the clam shell I would actually consider dropping your 2500 ci condition and grab the 44 mag....not much extra weight, can cinch down for day trips and you actually wont need to play tetrus.. Thats just me.

Vaultman

WKR
I have a gen 1 22 mag (late gen 1, does have a meat shelf). I, or my hunting partner uses it on day hunts. Would not recommend it for a solo overnight. Just a little bit to small.

md126

WKR
The 22 mag bag is a very versatile and well designed bag.

How the frame fits you is different for everyone.

I run a 22 mag on a SG frame and it works great.

OP
R

repins05

WKR
Meant I would prefer the meat shelf like the hell bender etc.

I can fit everything I need in a mystery ranch Pintler for 1-2 days. The dimensions of the 22 mag are slightly smaller than the Pintler though. The Pintler is tight already.

Pintler is a 10” depth versus 22 mag 7.5”. I run a bladder and feels like it might be a space issue on the 22 mag.

any feedback on that 7.5” depth?

Thinking out loud, I guess I could ditch the bladder for a hydro pack and buy some pockets for the outside for more space. But if I start putting too much misc on I might as well go with a bigger bag. But my goal is to go in light with a smaller pack.

haven’t purchased the first but feeling like I may need two packs already.

Has anyone tried using the 22mag as an EDC and just buying shoulder straps for it? Just curious. I too am interested in the 22 mag, but want someting that can cross into EDC territory. I was looking at the shape charge for this reason, but I like the option to utilize the 22 mag as better day hunting pack.

Vaultman

WKR
Has anyone tried using the 22mag as an EDC and just buying shoulder straps for it? Just curious. I too am interested in the 22 mag, but want someting that can cross into EDC territory. I was looking at the shape charge for this reason, but I like the option to utilize the 22 mag as better day hunting pack.
shape charge is made for what you are describing. A 22 mag, not so. I think you'd be better off with the shape charge.

shape charge is made for what you are describing. A 22 mag, not so. I think you'd be better off with the shape charge.

I had not found that video in my research. Thanks for the info. I believe you are right this is what I am leaning towards.

sivart

WKR
I'm 6-2" tall and use a 26" Duplex frame for my 22Mag Gen-2 pack. For me, this allows the best fit and bonus is extra space under the pack, supported by the lower frame, for a roll up or stuffed dry storage bag. Usually, my Kifaru Tut tent in a dry bag that straps in below pack.
Choose the gear you pack carefully for a 1–2-night trip. Not that much room in bag interior as I thought. But it's a great day pack and hold lots of gear for a day.

If going in deep for the day, for a possible one nighter, I'll pack tent, sleep quilt, pad, MSR stove and 2 MtnHouse, snack bars & 2 liters water, kill kit and 1st-aid kit and few other small necessities.
3 times I have spent a September night in the woods after putting down an archery bull in late afternoon-eve and I'm deep in from base camp. Processing the bull SOLO takes me a few hours. Done and meat bagged, hung a distance away from carcass/remains, I retire to my tent set earlier and get some sleep. Up early the next morning for 1st pack out trip. Rather do this than hike out at midnight/1am and tired from elk processing. Can carry a bone-in rear elk quarter using the meat shelf option. At truck or basecamp, will unpack gear not needed for return meat packing trips. Between meat shelf and using now empty bag, can pack out more of a meat load.
Avg 90-100-lbs meat on pack outs.

For a planned 2 nights out or more, I switch out to my Reckoning pack, using same frame.
do you haul meat in the bag, or always use the load shelf?

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Most of the time, I use the load shelf. The heaviest load of meat is on load shelf, close to my back.

Being able to have the 26" frame fit my body, there is another plus if bagged meat is inside the pack or using load shelf. The 22-Mag pack sits higher on the longer frame, keeps weight up and not low.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I love my 22 mag, i did get lucky tho and end up with a gen 1.5 which has the gen 1 long side pockets i like but also has the added meat shelf of the gen 2