Kid's Glass

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

So I want to buy my 7yo some decent glass. Something he can use until he starts packing out my elk quarters then hand then down to his sister.

I'm a Buy Once believer. Rugged, lightweight, and good enough quality to be worth lugging around. Been considering Meopta and Athlon. Vortex has the warranty right?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Jake

Attachments

• Nocks.jpg
    Nocks.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 25
The Maven B3 in 8x30 would hands down be my choice. It's what I would buy for my kids if I didn't already find a smoking deal on some first gen EL's.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
At 7, I would say get something that you will not cry over if it gets lost in the field. a good warranty would also be nice.

We are all different in how we assign value, but Vortex Diamondback if paying MSRP, Viper if getting a pro deal. Would also be a good excuse to try out Maven or Tract.

8x would be my magnification choice as it is easier to stabilize for a clear image. An objective smaller than 42 would be nice for weight and small hands.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Affordable quality, take a look at the Hawke Vantage 8x42 Binocular
  • Fully Coated Optics Produce Clear Images
  • Focus Knob With 2.4 Turns - Close Focus 16.4ft/5m
  • High Resolution BAK-4 Roof Prisms
  • Lightweight And Durable Rubber Coated Chassis
  • Stay-On Lens Covers For Maximum Lens Protection
  • Twist-Up Eye Cups With Position Stops For Eye Relief
Power: 8x
Objective:42mm
Lens Coating:Fully Coated
Field of View:115m @1000m
345ft @1000yds Close Focus: 5m 16.4ft
Eye relief: 18mm 0.7″
Height: 6″
Weight: 23.6oz

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For a seven year old it’s whatever extra scope or rifle is in the safe that they can shoulder and shoot. Don’t overspend.

Leupold Yosemite in 6x30 is hard to beat for kids if you can find a pair. I got a pair for $80.00 a few years back and the porro prism gives a very narrow IPD and really good glass for the price. 6X is easy to hold steady for a clear picture but plenty of magnification with a nice 5mm exit pupil and good FOV.

nobody

WKR
Something with a wide field of view and a large exit pupil. Lots of guys tend to buy their kid the el-cheap-o bushnell 10x28's (or equivalent) and it does nothing but frustrate a youngster because they're so dim and have such a narrow field of view they can't actually see anything, so they don't use them. My dad did that with us and it trained me to naturally NOT use my binoculars for a long time, because they had always caused me more frustration than anything. Took me awhile to change that line of thinking.

I would buy him something in the 8x32 realm. Look up specs, but those typically have the widest field of view of a mid-full sized binocular. The 8 is easier to hold still, the 32 still gives him a 4mm exit pupil, and a bino from any reputable manufacturer will be well over 400' field of view, making it easy for him to see what you're trying to show him. And the bino will be physically smaller and lighter, so easier for him to handle and use and hold up.

But hey, I'm just some random guy on the internet...

OspreyZB

Lil-Rokslider
Kowa YF II 6x30. They are pretty much identical to the discontinued Leupold Yosemite. Good optically, and just really easy to use.

6x32 for wide FOV.....If those are too hard to find, 8x32 for size and weight.
No way would I get something that takes adult hands to manipulate.
Meoptas are nice but heavy in my experience.
Used Nikons, Zeiss Terra, That's where I'd look.
And a comfortable strap or harness if you can find one small enough.

Nethero

WKR
Kowa YF II 6x30. They are pretty much identical to the discontinued Leupold Yosemite. Good optically, and just really easy to use.
These. 100% these. The IPD goes small enough for small faces and the low magnification steadies the image and allows for kids to take in what they are looking at.

hunt1up

WKR
Gotta agree as well. I had two pairs of the Leupolds for my kids. They're nice and light and really kid friendly. Both my kids (9, 11) now have 8x32 binos once my son stole my cheap truck Redfields and my daughter wanted some like it. Those Kowa ones would be a good choice. With a Rick Young harness.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I love the Leupold Yosemites, and am sure the Kowas YF II's are great as well. My issue with both of them is they don't thread the center hinge and porros don't sit very well on the universal bino adaptors.

Because I very rarely use binos w/o a tripod and encourage my kids to do the same I need something threaded or a roof prism that fits the universal adaptors.

I 100% agree that 6x30, 8x30/32 are where to start looking for kids. I also like some old school 7x35 roofs.

Having said all that, my next kids bino may be the Maven C2 7x28. Their C series has had great reviews. The price is not excessive. And the specs show they weigh 12.5 ounces. I have not confirmed these are threaded, but their 8x42 and 10x42 is. If they are not they would easily sit in the tray style adaptor.

My daughter is getting my 8x30 slc’s for this year, I agree to avoid really cheap, they are a waste of money. Buy some low power compact binos that you can Also use at times, even for a kid, I don’t believe in crappy optics, they are better off looking through yours on a tripod vs getting them poor quality glass that will be pretty useless to anyone.

I like the kowa idea, they punch above their price point, and aren’t too expensive, probably a pretty good start

Okay, I'm still laughing hard but I figured I'd say something constructive now.

Here's my suggestions based on the fact that I still remember being a kid, have 2 kids, and bought my 4 nieces some binos last year.

- Bushnell Prime (my nieces love them)
- Bushnell Engage
- Athlon Neos
- Any kind of Nikon
- Vortex Crossfire
- whatever Doug is pushing

The Bushnell Primes are great glass for under $100. That's why I put them at the top of the list. The reality is, kids do dumb shit and it's not worth putting expensive items in their hands. They lose stuff, break stuff, etc. Some of it defies all reason!

If you have money to blow, then by all means, drop $300+ on some Zeiss Terras. For $200, get the Athlon Midas binos; they're legit. Do whatever you want. Just realize that your 7 year old is probably going to mess them up or lose them. If you get mad about it, then you're an a**hole because that's just what kids do.

Good luck to you, sir!

has530

Lil-Rokslider
These are what we have for kids interpretative nature walks. Really can't be beat for their price. I remember reading somewhere the original design (I think it was kowa yf -> leupold yosemite -> yf ii) was done by an optical engineer at kowa with his kid in mind.