Kid carrier on your hunting frame pics and how to

sndmn11

WKR
@sndmn11 I've seen you previously mention attaching a kid carrier to your revolution frame. Would you mind elaborating on that setup and which carrier you use please?

I don't see why this same method wouldn't work with other frames, but this is how I setupy Seek revolution frame.

I started with a craigslist kid carrier and took off the waist belt and shoulder straps.
PXL_20220606_172033207.jpg

I then treat the kid carrier like a load of meat. I use the load shelf of the frame, the horizontal straps, and the revolution has two lower diagonal straps. This salt bag in tape represents the kid carrier and is how I strap it down.
PXL_20220606_172147166.jpgPXL_20220606_172251289.jpg

I run the load shelf under the kid frame and up to the load lifters. On this kid carrier there are straps that match up perfect with the diagonal Seek straps that go around the revo frame. I think these and the load shelf are likely all that is needed; the diagonal straps keep side to side movement at zero, the load shelf does the lifting.
PXL_20220606_172408711.jpg
PXL_20220606_171557820.jpg
PXL_20220606_172401935.jpg

Load shelf strap going to top of frame to load lifters.
PXL_20220606_171736405~2.jpg

I choose to do the three horizontal straps as well, I don't think they are needed but I'd probably lose them if I took them off.
PXL_20220606_171516629~2.jpg

He drinks from my water bladder hose, I added some stirrups for his feet that fit his boots, and double water bottle holders for lots of snacks.

I don't see why this same method wouldn't work with other frames, but this is how I setupy Seek revolution frame.

I started with a craigslist kid carrier and took off the waist belt and shoulder straps.
View attachment 417223

I then treat the kid carrier like a load of meat. I use the load shelf of the frame, the horizontal straps, and the revolution has two lower diagonal straps. This salt bag in tape represents the kid carrier and is how I strap it down.
View attachment 417225View attachment 417226

I run the load shelf under the kid frame and up to the load lifters. On this kid carrier there are straps that match up perfect with the diagonal Seek straps that go around the revo frame. I think these and the load shelf are likely all that is needed; the diagonal straps keep side to side movement at zero, the load shelf does the lifting.
View attachment 417228
View attachment 417229
View attachment 417230

Load shelf strap going to top of frame to load lifters.
View attachment 417231

I choose to do the three horizontal straps as well, I don't think they are needed but I'd probably lose them if I took them off.
View attachment 417232

He drinks from my water bladder hose, I added some stirrups for his feet that fit his boots, and double water bottle holders for lots of snacks.
this is awesome! Thank you for the detailed photos whilst I flip back and forth between an integrated unaweep 6300 and breakaway goshawk 6300, seeing multipurpose use of the frame panel like this very easily seals the deal for me. For what seems like 5-8oz you are able to have your awesome pack be a kid carrier too which greatly appeals to me. Thanks again @sndmn11

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
this is awesome! Thank you for the detailed photos whilst I flip back and forth between an integrated unaweep 6300 and breakaway goshawk 6300, seeing multipurpose use of the frame panel like this very easily seals the deal for me. For what seems like 5-8oz you are able to have your awesome pack be a kid carrier too which greatly appeals to me. Thanks again @sndmn11

Well, don't get too far ahead of yourself just yet. I have not had an integrated pack in hand, maybe @RockChucker30 or @Kevin_t can help.

There may be a place on the bottom of the integrated packs, at the frame where a load shelf can be attached. If so, you'd be able to do what I do but just a few inches lower and overtop the pack. I know I have seen mention of packing meat outside the bag on an integrated pack, so I assume there's a place for the talon or a load shelf to connect underneath on the frame side.

Peaks&Creeks

Lil-Rokslider
Well, don't get too far ahead of yourself just yet. I have not had an integrated pack in hand, maybe @RockChucker30 or @Kevin_t can help.

There may be a place on the bottom of the integrated packs, at the frame where a load shelf can be attached. If so, you'd be able to do what I do but just a few inches lower and overtop the pack. I know I have seen mention of packing meat outside the bag on an integrated pack, so I assume there's a place for the talon or a load shelf to connect underneath on the frame side.

Thanks sndmn11 for the photo tutorial. I’ve been wondering about this setup for a bit. I just got a integrated frame Unaweep, so may need to play around a bit with attaching my kid carrier to it. Will report back if someone else doesn’t beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks sndmn11 for the photo tutorial. I’ve been wondering about this setup for a bit. I just got a integrated frame Unaweep, so may need to play around a bit with attaching my kid carrier to it. Will report back if someone else doesn’t beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there attachment points on it at the bottom frame side?

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have done similar. I stripped a Deuter Active down to just the carrier (cut off hip belt and should harness attachments). It works well on both the SO frame and my Exo frame. I always use every strap available; I figure it give redundancy incase little hands start messing with one of them.

A set up like this is much more comfortable than the carriers. Plus, you can hook the SO pack back to the back of the carrier and the bottom of the frame. Most of the time I just have a Merlin attached to the back of the carrier though.

Nice write up with photos.

sr80

WKR
Pretty simply to do with any kid carrier pack once you remove the belt and shoulder straps from the kid carrier. Then its just strapping it to your frame. I did this with SG and a duplex and worked pretty slick.

CB4

WKR
Yall made it so complicated. Two compression straps and you are off and hiking. No need to cut anything off. Pack.jpgPack1.jpg

Good morning hunters,

Thanks for all your posts on this and @ThorM465 on the other exo k4 thread for all the details. Sorry for taking a couple days to post, our new baby is being a real baby.

THIS POST IS HOW TO ON EXO K3

If there is another way to post so it is more searchable, please give me feedback so I can improve how I’m sharing what I know.

So pack is exo k3 with meat cradle. Child carrier is Mountain Equipment Coop Shuttle craft. Canadian brand a lot of you may not be familiar with. It’s a carrier with a metal frame and kickstand feature I like. But the belt and straps didn’t work well for me (lack of lumbar had hip belt sliding down). And for reference, the meat I am hauling is a 2 year old around 30 pounds.

First I cut belt and straps off bag:
IMG_3108.jpeg

I laid exo flat and lined up bottom of frame (so I could attach pack portion of exo in future sandwiching kid and kid carrier in between):
IMG_3111.jpegThen I used exo meat load straps to tighten child carrier to frame. Make sure to center child carrier and I had to squish together to get meat straps tight as the child carrier had padding:
IMG_3113.jpeg
Then I opened kickstand on child carrier and wrapped meat cradle through. This allowed me to still use kickstand on carrier but still access all pockets. I didn’t tighten too much as I noticed this shrunk the diameter your kid will go in. It’s there more of a support instead of tying load down:
IMG_3114.jpeg
After using I decided to add these tie straps that have a tab to remove to keep it from slipping at all. Again, these don’t carry a lot of weight, they’re just used as a support. Also notice I switched the meet carrier hooks so they were facing out as they pull at a slight outward angle now so this will prevent them from slipping out:

IMG_3118.jpeg
Here’s the finished product. It works great and doesn’t move at all. I just encourage people to pay attention to zap strap pokies, meat hauler straps etc so they are installed in a way for max comfort for you toddler meat loads:
IMG_3119.jpeg
Thanks to all for your help figuring out. Hopefully this will help someone with a similar setup. FYI yes my bag will fit around this unit. Due to the length of straps, I’ve lost a little bit of volume in my 6400, but not much. I can still fit enough gear for a weekend overnight camp for my son and me with tent, bag, food etc. and remember i still have access to child carrier pockets totalling 30liters ish.