Kenai jacket

Went to the Kuiu retail store the other day to use my 25percent off coupon. Picked up a pair of the Chinook pants and Northstar gloves. They happened to have a few of the new Kenai jackets in stock that are not for internet sale until spring. Already have a couple of different puffys, but this one ki d of stood out differn't. Its real light for a synthetic, but seems warmer than my REI Prima loft. It is also very quiet and compresses great. I think the final thing that sold me were the pit zips. If anyone is interested ill let you know how it performs once i get it out in the field. I know there are a lot of Kuiu haters out there but I have yet to be dissapointed with any of their clothing. Although i do prefer Fist Light for my base layer.

n2horns

WKR
I ordered one too. Should be here this week. I like other non hunting brands as they have warmer products like the arcteryx atom a or the lt. I plan to use mostly as outer but will layer with atom AR jacket. I wish Kuiu would make a warmer down or synthetic.

IdahoElk

WKR
I really like my Kenai.It's warm and very quiet,the only bummer is that it doesn't compress and store in a pocket like the original primaloft.

OP
oldskool67
I agree, I plan on using it as an outer layer over a down vest i have. I bought it instead of a soft shell. Can always wear my Chugach over it. I dont like being cold, and it seems like decent trade off for a small weight penalty

Good to hear you like it. I plan to buy one and I am going to try stuffing it into a small Kifaru 3 string stuff sack. The sack is only about an ounce.

The real question is how do I get a 25% off coupon.

Last edited:
OP
oldskool67
I live about an hour away and went to their Christmas sale. I got the coupon based on spending money at the sale. Coupon could only be used in the store in Jan.Thats why I was happy they had the jacket in stock. If I ordered it off the website I couldnt get the discount. I use a medium Kifaru stuff sack for this jacket and a vest (3xl) im sure the small will work for the the jacket only. Love the Kifaru stuff sacks. I need to stay off this forum, gets expensive.

How well does it compress? Any plans of posting videos reviewing it? Id love to see some reviews

n2horns

WKR
Got mine. Light, quite and doesn't block wind. A shell over it will be great in windy areas. For me, looks like the Chinook will go on top of Kenai for earlier season. Later on, going to play with it being first layer, then another puffy then Yukon or have it be right before the Yukon. Since it breathes so well, may want to keep it as a mid layer.

OP
oldskool67
I will try and get out in the field with it next week. Maybe take a pic of it compressed in a stuff sack. Like i said before there are so many options for puffys / layering pieces. Im someone who sweats bad when moving then gets cold fast sitting. So i like the idea of the pit zips and breathability. I will let you know how it works for me.

fastphin

FNG
Got mine. Light, quite and doesn't block wind. A shell over it will be great in windy areas. For me, looks like the Chinook will go on top of Kenai for earlier season. Later on, going to play with it being first layer, then another puffy then Yukon or have it be right before the Yukon. Since it breathes so well, may want to keep it as a mid layer.

Having both the Chinook and Kenai, if you were to use only one as an insulating layer for temps in the 30-50's which would you choose? How do they compare packability wise too? I have a rain coat that could be used as a outer shell if needed.

Kenai hands down if you are a bowhunter. It is much quieter. The super down is loud even when worn under another layer. The super down is slightly warmer and a bit more compressible.

Richf

FNG
I also have a Kenai the hooded version and have been wearing it around the last two weeks (19-40 degrees weather). I also have the kryptek Aquillo. I feel like the Kenai is actually warmer than the Aquillo. The Kenai is no match for wind but with the guide jacket over top its a good to go setup. The fabric is soft and quiet, the pockets are of good size, the hood is pretty nice and the pit zips are awesome for regulating heat. I'm 6' 200lb and got the L at first but sent it back for an XL. It fits well under a XL guide for me.

LJ Buck

WKR
Having both the Chinook and Kenai, if you were to use only one as an insulating layer for temps in the 30-50's which would you choose? How do they compare packability wise too? I have a rain coat that could be used as a outer shell if needed.

I don't rally see the Chinnook as a insulating piece, just another outer shell.

Last edited:

jherald

WKR
Over on the kuiu forum there is a post about the kenai shrinking after washing. Anyones kenai jacket shrink?

Weekender

WKR
My guess would be that that insulation puffed up a little which makes it feel more constructive and give the illusion of it shrinking.

jherald

WKR
I don't have a Kenai jacket, and most everyone knows (or should know) not to wash clothes in hot water and a lot of outdoor garments recommend air drying or air fluff dry setting. Just wondering if anyone on here has a Kenai jacket and it shrank from washing. The guy on the Kuiu forum explained his jacket shrank nearly a whole size.

bcv

Lil-Rokslider
Starting to sound like, I put my wool in the dryer and it shrank.. Not the same but for the price we pay for the gear, take care of it if you want it to last.