Kelty + Kifaru =

Snyd

WKR
KeltyFaru ? ;)

I've had this Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack for 8+ years. Packed 7 rams out with it. Logged hundreds of miles sheep hunting, hiking, etc. I finally bent/broke the frame. A waist high drop on to hardpack dirt road with 150lbs bent it...oops... but is was after a 12 mile packout of the Brooks Range last year. oofta... trying to bend it back broke it... another oops...

Kelty is warrantying the frame but they don't make em anymore so they are giving me a brand spanking new Red Cloud 110. Nice pack but not built for 100+lb loads. Kudos to Kelty.

So, I'm gonna build a KeltyFaru! I ordered a Bikini frame today I will custom fit the Kelty 50th bag to it. The bag is made from Spectra Hardline Dyneema fabric and is real tough. 7200ci, 2 removable long exterior pockets and another "wet mesh" pouch/bag. Plus I like the color! The KeltyFaru should weigh about 5-6+ depending on configurations.

From this...
50thFrame_zps0b7f3901.jpg

To This...
bikiniframe75.jpg

My trusty ol Kelty 50th packing sheep.

50thlogo_zps5e4b9471.jpg

kelty_02.jpg

snydCub.jpg

ramPack_zpsf48dd415.jpg

snydGun_02.jpg

Attachments

• 50thlogo_zps5e4b9471.jpg
    50thlogo_zps5e4b9471.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 77

Ray

WKR
That should be a cool project. I am guessing that your bag is longer/taller than the bikini frame. Are you going to sew in a frame pocket to hang the bag off the frame stays?

OP
Snyd

Snyd

WKR
That should be a cool project. I am guessing that your bag is longer/taller than the bikini frame. Are you going to sew in a frame pocket to hang the bag off the frame stays?

Ya, the bag is essentially 32 inches, from the top of where it hung on the old frame to the bottom. So it's already got a "pocket" of sorts. Here's a pic of the top of the bag where I'll sew it up about midway across the black fabric, based on loose measurements. There are some existing staps I'll integrate in to the sewing as well for reinforcement.

50thTop_zps88ed662f.jpg