Kelty Ignite 20 Dri Down sleeping bag

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Roksliders,

"What budget sleeping bag should I get?"

This question pops up quite often here, and Kelty has been nice enough to send me their sub-$200 Ignite 20 sleeping bag for evaluation. The feature list is pretty good:

1. 600 fill DWR-treated DriDown.
2. Men's EN rated to 16 degrees.
3. 30D ripstop shell.
4, 60D Ploy Pongee liner.

I will get some real weights and sizes tonight. I will be using this bag for a few nights over the next few weeks.

Oh I am interested to see how this turns out.

Maybe even leave it out in the rain and see how it handles the moisture?

No you don't have to sleep in it wet. :)

I read about the emails you were getting in the pack thread and hurting your back.

jmez

WKR
That would be a great durability test. You get in and someone could zip you up and toss you off of a cliff.

Floorguy

WKR
Oh I am interested to see how this turns out.

Maybe even leave it out in the rain and see how it handles the moisture?

No you don't have to sleep in it wet. :)

I read about the emails you were getting in the pack thread and hurting your back.

Outdoorgearlabs did that and slept in it in a video on youtube then bashed dridown the Sierra designs zissou bag. The bag wasn't advertised as waterproof and the head of the bag was covered by his raincoat to protect his face and it was fine. The rest of the bag was completely saturated and had lost loft. After I saw the video I had to wonder what they were trying to prove. The video has since been removed.

Manosteel

WKR
This should be good. Almost never see good reviews of budget minded gear, seems all the reviews are with the top end stuff.

Lawnboi

WKR
iv got a good test. To test how water resistant the down is. Put the dri down bag out in the rain for a bit next to a non-water repellent down bag... after a while weigh each bag to see how much moisture each has soaked up and how much loft each has lost.

The one thing that really concerns me about the dri down, and why I have not yet bought into it. Its how long does the dwr on the down last? We all know the dwr on our outerwear eventually wears out and has to be rejuvenated. Only problem with the bags is there is no way to apply this treatment back to the down.

It would be good to hear your thoughts on the bag Matt. I've been interested in how it really retains heat when damp and durability is always a good review too. Don't test it too hard though Matt. Rolling down the hill or hypothermia testing does bring some concerning thoughts to mind. Reviews are always good to hear from you but I also want to see some post on next years animals and sucessful hunts in your near future too.

OP
Matt Cashell

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well advertised weights are on the money. The bag IN the included stuff sack weighed in at 2 pounds 11.2 ounces on the kitchen scale.

For comparison, my BA Zirkel SL weighed in at 2 pounds 5.4 ounces, which is probably pretty close to the spec of 2 pounds 4 ounces if you don't include the stuff sack.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
So far this sounds like a pretty good economical bag. Depending on how true to temp it is might have to pick one up for the wife.