Keeping stock tethered!

Dixie

FNG
All stock on FS trails need to be tethered.My two worst wrecks is because some Goat packer had his goats loose with no one in front. I believe in sharing the trail... but if I see another Goat alone in front of me I plan on using my rokslde special and see what that 88 ELDM will do.
Please keep your stock tethered!

OP
Dixie

Dixie

FNG
Damn. Seems like you need some serious packing lessons. lol
You have one of those black devils run through your string on a bad spot and then we will talk.
No lesson needed other than these people with goats need to keep their stock tethered and share the trail!
You obviously don't pack with a green horn statement like that.

rayporter

WKR
there aint no telling what will spook a string

or when

bud killed an elk and i took a pack mule to help him. he was walking out with some meat on his back and my mule ripped out of my hand and ran back to camp. no trouble before or since.

but yep, lamas and goats are real big foots to an equine.

All stock on FS trails need to be tethered.My two worst wrecks is because some Goat packer had his goats loose with no one in front. I believe in sharing the trail... but if I see another Goat alone in front of me I plan on using my rokslde special and see what that 88 ELDM will do.
Please keep your stock tethered!
Share pics when you do. I love to see how things turn out for idiots that FAFO.

Beendare

WKR
I have never encountered this while packing with buddies....but I can see the OP's objection.

Those crazy loose goats would be a real problem.

GoatPackr

WKR
As a goat packer I agree. When on a trail keep them under your control. It might be a horse or a dog that they find. It's bad practice to not have them always under control. They don't have to have a rope attached to you but being in front of them is important so you can be the first to a horse and communicate ahead that you have goats and get them well off the trail to the LOW side so horse can pass by.

OP
Dixie

Dixie

FNG
there aint no telling what will spook a string

or when

bud killed an elk and i took a pack mule to help him. he was walking out with some meat on his back and my mule ripped out of my hand and ran back to camp. no trouble before or since.

but yep, lamas and goats are real big foots to an equine.
You are correct,but removing variables that could cause problems for others is a good practice. Meeting groups doing it correctly is a non-issue in most cases.
Horse, Mule and lamas Packers for the most part have their stock controlled so if they meet others they can get to a good spot to pass. I've met 1000's of users over the years and never had many issues.

OP
Dixie

Dixie

FNG
As a goat packer I agree. When on a trail keep them under your control. It might be a horse or a dog that they find. It's bad practice to not have them always under control. They don't have to have a rope attached to you but being in front of them is important so you can be the first to a horse and communicate ahead that you have goats and get them well off the trail to the LOW side so horse can pass by.
Perfect example of doing it correctly!

GoatPackr

WKR
Perfect example of doing it correctly!
NAPGA has little cards that I try and carry to hand out to people interested in goats for packing. They have the 10 rules on them for goat packing. It's a newer thing and tends to lend itself towards people with no stock experience so I try and educate newer users so that we can avoid this image.